Still Making Drogba Look Shite: Dempsey at Fulham IV [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by DMTerp02, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His goal creation rate in the global tourneys is pretty awe inspiring. Imo he dogs it a little bit in lesser games for the US, but I'm OK with that as he's not naturally gifted in the cardio department.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hangeland was bad early in the year. His backline was getting abused. Clint carried this team early (after of course he was taken off the bench) and kept them in the fight.

he is the only reason they are not bottom of the table right now. Hughes should be touting Clint as he saved his bacon.

3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS. I'd currently give Clint POTY, but to say that he's the only reason they aren't bottom of the table is utter nonsense. Their defense (and central defense in particular) has been excellent ALL YEAR. Their backline was not getting abused (seriously, can you point out more than an isolated instance, like say the Man City match, when they were getting "abused" as you put it). Why do you think that Clint's goals were getting results for Fulham (hint, it's because the defense was rarely giving up more than one goal...and frequently pitching shut outs)?

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hangeland is American only by birth. His family is Norwegian, he grew up in Norway. Wishing for him to play for the US is a stretch.

5. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    The photo says it all ...

[​IMG]

... gritty!

7. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What, I am #2 after Hangeland?

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Central, yes.

Fullbacks were getting beaten up early on and Panstil even managed a hat-trick this season.

9. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fullbacks struggled a bit (which is why I singled out the central defenders), but the point remains that all season long the defense has hovered around 5th or 6th best in the PL (going by total goals allowed). So even while Pantsil and Salcido were having difficulties, those difficulties weren't translating into many goals for the opposition. Hence my earlier statement that the defense was good all season long.

10. Erlking

Erlking Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baird has replaced him and has played quite well, Salcido....kinda hit and miss.

11. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
  12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Sidwell signed a 3 year deal as well.

Murphy will play one more year for the white's it seems.

13. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sidwell is great news! Very happy to read this.

Murphy will continue signing 1 yr deals until he can't perform anymore. I believe he'll end his career at Fulham.

14. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States