Steven dumping Chelsea?

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by Delle Alpi, Mar 23, 2010.

1. j.fisher

j.fisher So Much Better

May 3, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never seen the redeeming quality in the WSD/WFD podcast... all you're getting is a watered down, poor mans version of World Football Phone in, Football Weekly & Soccernet. Only with 2 knobs hosting.

2. Ecclesiastes2003

May 30, 2003
    So the guy switched allegiances from one big business to another, so what. That's all football has become - a business. As such, nobody has any duty to stay loyal to any team, least of all the fans. If players can switch teams every season, if Figo can play with Barça and Real Madrid, if Ronaldo can play with Inter and AC Milan, if Sol Campbell can play with Tottenham and Arsenal, then why can't the fans likewise switch their allegiances. I myself had a long period when I was angry at Chivas's owner and a lot of his bonehead acts & what he did with the team (still am sometimes), but as much as I tried to support other teams I kept coming back. It's not that I feel any particular duty to support them, it's just some weird connection that I feel whenever I see the team playing. But having said that I don't hold it against anyone for switching teams. I have grown to dislike Steven as a host (wish Nick Geber was still around), but on this particular point he gets a free pass from me.

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is really what comes from fans choosing a club like choosing a new car - looking for something that will suit them for a few years.

Fans who support the club where they are from won't change because their club wasn't a brand choice. It's also why fans who don't support a club that they have a genuine connection with tend to be held in low regard. How deep can their support be if they switch clubs in harder times?

4. Sounder_FC

Sounder_FC New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    you are right about that. I am a subscriber, but came to conclusion that WFD offers same content as others, they only spread it throughout a week.

5. Sounder_FC

Sounder_FC New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    What bothers me with his Chelsea stunt is selling memorabilia to customers. It seems as if he is making this whole thing up to make a buck. Could have just offered it as a prize for trivia.

My friends and I will still continue to milk our account :).

6. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your choice, but pretty cheap as is for what you get. With the guests they have the content is better than other podcasts and always available, and they get around the globe.

Personal choice, but I still listen to it when I have limited time (not every show). They have MLS coaches, players, foreign, etc. You would have to look for several podcasts to get to the same, plus video segments and Rafa's group discuss.

I would pay $60 for it/yr. Too bad the guy has a lot of haters.

7. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray Hudson on the Arsenal game today is lol funny.

8. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i totally disagree. i listen to 606, soccernet, wfpi and they aren't even close to as entertaining. i listen to wfd first and then the other podcasts afterward.

9. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i haven't listened yet but it's gotta be amazing. "braver than a matador without any knickers on"

10. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arseblogger is a funny, eloquent guy. I may have to visit Dublin to take in some more Dublin humor.

11. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's either hit or miss for me. tim vickery's interviews are usually really good and i like the banter they have with grant wahl.

12. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Viscous? and the other Scots-in-Italy-on-Serie-A-TV are hilarious, but bizarre. Paul is the best. One of them, I think Max mentioned the show during the TV telecast the other day. I give WFD a lot of credit for getting me into Serie A and La liga without watching a game.

The Sid Lowe thing on Football weekly seems contrived, but I like some of the guys individually on FW.

13. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was just going to say that. they talk to a german guy who's always in italy as well who keeps me informed on serie a without having to tivo and watch 10 different games every weekend. i can just fast forward to certain clips to pick out what they're talking about and watch around it. tim vickery does the same thing talking about the south american leagues. i was never into the libertadores until recently because of the show and i've also started to appreciate french soccer now as more than just lyon winning every year and being a feeder team for spain and england. it's funny that steven may be supporting palermo because of their pink shirts. my great grandparents are from sicily and i've tried to follow Palermo in the past but i couldn't because i couldn't stand the pink shirts. Reminds me too much of this:

[​IMG]

But hey to each his own........

14. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Ranieri wins the Scuddetta I will have a shot of grappa for him; he is the coolest cat in soccer right now.

The great coverage towards the national teams for the WC has been brilliant as well. Sorry, no offense, but Lippi is a dinosaur and I would love to see him fail hard in the WC, which will probably mean he wins it on penalties, and have to watch him smoking those stupid cigarillos as he congratulates himself. Smug punker.

15. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed on lippi. despite my heritage i hope italy get bounced early and often. also a good point on the world cup national team coverage. it's a great show and i'd be disappointed if they had to shut down

16. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    I would say it's more or less like an extended, less rushed, daily version of World Football Phone in, Football Weekly & Soccernet combined. In term of hosting Adebayo is definitely worse in term of football knowledge among the shows you mention, but he is still entertaining as a host and seems to have great rapport with Tim, Andy and Sean.
    Don't get me wrong: I listen to all of those shows and like them all. But if I have to prioritize I would say my preference goes like this: FW, WFD, WFPi, Soccernet.

17. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "the game podcast" with gab marcotti is worth a listen as well

18. yodaisgod

yodaisgod Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I listen to the Guardian and ESPNSoccernet podcasts. In fact, I listened to them first before discovering WSD back in Jan 2007. I rather listen to Kenny that Steven rant and bitch. BUT, I'm not paying to listen to them. I do miss hearing them, but honestly, I'm so busy that Guardian, ESPN and I listen to 606 after the games that I get my fill.

19. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was always a secret Arse supporter.

[​IMG]

20. 136 Mental Ward

136 Mental Ward New Member