Steven dumping Chelsea?

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by Delle Alpi, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard that Steven went on some rant against Chelsea and said he is no longer supporting the club. Is this true and what is the back story? I was just wondering if this is true or not, does anyone know?

2. sfdanryan

sfdanryan Member

Jun 5, 2009
    He said that his love for the club took a downward turn after Peter Kenyon and other "suits" at Chelsea supported the Spirit of Shankley cause against what was then World Soccer Daily. I would also assume that his "rant" was also sparked by the fact Chelsea drew away at Blackburn over the weekend. I love the show, but his "live in the moment" reaction to everything can get rather annoying at times. Not to mention the fact he interupts (albeit not intentional) every guest they have on the show.

3. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hmm, seems a bit hypocritical when he and Kenny are constantly going on about how you can't switch teams... no matter what.

4. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may stop loving soccer next -- bizarre. I will have to hear what he says and see where this goes.

5. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anything could get Kenny to ditch Rangers. This is Steven having a hissy fit because they drew and fell from the top.

6. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it appears to be about the club management turning on him LY after he was Mister Chelsea here in the US during the LFC hubbub.

7. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Personally I don't blame Steven for dumping Chelsea. I would feel inclined to do so as well if I was in his shoes. I know its not common to abandon your club and it shouldn't be done but Steven has a really good reason to do so.

8. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if the board of your club acting like wankers was a good reason to dump the club you claim to love, Old Trafford would be empty every game. it's complete crap and pathetic

9. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the distinction you are missing is that they went after him personally. After being a one-man PR machine for Chelsea (for free I might add) in the US, they turned on him in a pretty big way which was unexpected. It looks like it continues.

This is not equivalent to the club acting like wankers; it is about the club tuning on him uninitiated, so I can see how that could lead to a falling out.

That being said, Steve is not a typical fan that watches from the distance. He interviews the managers, and more, etc. And he sticks to his views in impractical way at times, makes him a strange one.

10. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea renounced the comments that he made which were completely completely wrong and he's shown himself to be something of a loose cannon at times about lots of issues. Chelsea didn't ask him to go to America and promote them. He's just a fan. If a club had to stick by every fan that went bonkers, they'd be in for PR nightmare. Fact of the matter is, he sad something really stupid about a tragic event and then went on to rate himself way higher than reality would suggest so that when nobody came to defend him, the mighty Steve Cohen, he threw a hissy fit. Get over it man. Admit that you were wrong in what you said and that the Chelsea board was justified to react the way they did and move on. If it were such a problem for him, why didn't he drop Chelsea way back when. He said that he has no feeling for Chelsea over the past several weeks. Really? That makes sense to me because they've looked terrible. I've found it difficult to watch Celtic this year but it doesn't mean i'm looking for a new team to follow. I think it's ironic that after Chelsea falls from the top of the league, get's eliminated from the CL and in the middle of the Terry debacle, Stevie C says he's going back to Spurs. Bollox. This is a wank move, but that won't stop me from listening

11. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect, this has nothing to do withthe results on the pitch. Your opinion that he is wrong about fan involvement is an opinion as is his. Nevertheless, he had a personal falling out with the club and they did not have to comment on the issue in the public way they did. He may be just a fan, but in the US oasis, he was a one man PR machine inthe soccer community that no other fan could approach for Chelsea. I also think he had a further falling out with Stillitano advertising on his show and some of it may be Chelsea related, but there are some things goingon. At the end of the day, it looks like it is not because of the results on the pitch (which I thought would be a rubbish reason). Would I turn my back on 42 years of commitment, no way. I also think he will always be a fan, so this is a weak moment. I don't disagree entirely and I also continue to listen, just WTF.

12. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    That "major" announcement did not surprise me at all. And it has nothing to do with the Blackburn draw. TBH, Cohen's focus on Chelsea seem to have gone down a lot since last year's incident. It was evident that his passion for the team was winding down.

13. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    What was the major announcement?

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can see why anyone could get disillusioned with a club speaking out against him, but the bizarre thing is that he seems surprised that they don't back him. Is he really that unaware of how little credibility such opinions have in the UK, and how much embarrassment he'd cause his club if it became known someone with links to Chelsea was expressing such views?

15. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be right about it, but at some point discretion kicks in, no? To each his own..

16. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The problem is that he seems to just see it as a "controversial" viewpoint. Here it's something you wouldn't heard said by anyone beyond bitter Liverpool-hating knuckle-draggers. To ignore all the evidence pointing to the view being hopelessly wrong suggests being obtuse enough to have an agenda.

17. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    That he is, no doubt about it; and to his credit he always admited to hating Liverpool (both the team and the city). So it's obvious he had an agenda in poking a mad dog.
    Nevertheless my sense is that there was already a tension (or maybe even bothering on animosity) between Cohen and the Chelsea front office before the LFC controversy. For a guy who proclaim he is a big reason Chelsea is popular in the US, seeing as no one from Chelsea seem to care about him and his show(s) even before the debacle last year should tell us something.

18. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure where you get your information, but he was Chelsea radio for the few years that i have followed him, and he definitely was one of the biggest voices in US soccer media over that time. I am sure he created legions of fans for them, or gave them great media exposure. Does your last sentence refer to Peter Kenyon who came over with Abromovich, and something that happened between them last year. Steve has been a fan for decades and he was pretty tight as fans go with team (i.e. going to parties with players when they were in LA, etc). Just wanted to know what you refer to.

19. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    ahahaha. He really is the American based Tim Lovejoy.

Why do these whoppers attract followers.

20. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    I was referring to the way they (the front office) never acknowledge him as a media head promoting them in the US. He (Cohen) has talked about that many times on his show before and repeated it again this week. I was saying to me the statement on their website was just the last straw, and showed in a way that he was never seen by them as a media head to take seriously.

21. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think that reflects the US market. If you look at ManU, they spend all their time in Asia. Asia, middle or far, and Africa, are where soccer folowing is legion. In the US market, soccer is a distant fifth at best, so I am sure a club like Chelsea is interested in the rest of the world.

But still, in this small pond, he was a big asset to them, and I think they recognize that this market could be something one day. With the TV gig, Nick and Steve had a decent franchise at one point, and if he keeps the current gig up, it has potential to be pretty big.

22. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe he just wasn't taken seriously by them, or seen as the publicity machine that he seemed to think he was.

23. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    That's obviously the case; and that has much to do with him being disinterested in the team as a fan, not just the statement last year on the Chelsea website.

24. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although he is petulant, I still enjoy his footie talk over other podcasts. After a hard days work, his opinionated holding forth makes for an entertaining commute. I am sure his wounded pride is in the way, but to do what he does full time, you have to be an irrational fanatic at some level unlike the rest of us that keep it to the weekends. The funny thing is, he is still a Chelsea fan. I don't care if they kidnapped him and flushed his head in a tiolet, after 42 years, it is a marriage. You can get divorced, but you are always connected. you heard it here first--breaking news -- "I have found myself falling in love with Chelsea again-- try as I might, you can never really get over the club you grew up loving,....." -- as the sands in an hourglass, so are the days of our lives....much posting and commenting to follow.:)

25. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i give it til after the world cup before he's back on chelsea. if the show is still on then