Steven Cohen to ESPN

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Epikoinos, Sep 23, 2011.

1. FootballFutbolSoccer

Jun 22, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hahaha, you really got me with those ESPN twitter handles...wooooow. good one.

2. FootballFutbolSoccer

Jun 22, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, not directly but I'm sure the Liverpool/WSD saga made a dent on the show's commercial viability ultimately cutting funds and well....if the money isn't right then people move on sometimes.

3. djpower

djpower Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    With Press Pass fully staffed and with the hosts and some of their pundits also doubling as commentators for ESPN International/ESPN3.com feeds I really don't see the need for them to create another American based european focus soccer show. Maybe ESPN could show the one they currently create on tv in the US, if Kenny is involved my bets are it will be a radio show either that or they will be doing small segments within current programs

4. NYRBA1

NYRBA1 Member

Feb 4, 2011
    kenny and steven deleting twitter (and facebook in steven's case) has got to be very interesting...

now i'm thinking that they are both involved in ESPN, are making their real accounts over again, and in steven's case making this facebook again but truly privately.

5. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    I see another radio show coming along, with maybe a show on ESPN3... it sucks for Rafa and the guys if that's true, hopefully Steven and Kenny offer a helping hand.

I hope my prediction is true though, I like Robert Burns but the thought of Sophie everyday of the week does not sit well with me.

6. Warbuxx

Warbuxx Member

Jun 23, 2002
    Exactly what attempts has Henry made to market Liverpool in the Boston area except having their matches rebroadcast on the cable channel NESN?

7. bayernfan86

bayernfan86 Member

May 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just find it hilarious that the unemployed thugs thinks they can push him out of ESPN because they did the same with his old radio show. ESPN is a 900 pound financial gorilla that prints their own money. Soccer is, unfortunately, still a niche sport in this country. Unemployed thugs make up a small part of that niche audience. If these unemployed thugs think they can push him out by getting a couple thousand signature on a "petition", it ceases to be funny at that time. Clearly the unemployed thugs are suffering from debilitating mental disease. I don't think we should be making fun of these people. They need our help and empathy.

8. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they fake accounts? Probably because nothing else has come forth.

9. bayernfan86

bayernfan86 Member

May 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, Robert is very good. Very knowledgeable about the game, and asks really good questions during the interviews they conduct on the show. Sophie, sometimes I get the feel peruses various football sites right before coming on air and gives simple, generic opinions about players or a game. Lot of "player x is brilliant" "team y played brilliantly" type of opinions. I don't think she has the depth of knowledge that Robert and Kenny possesses.

I tell you what I won't miss, Kenny's constant interruptions when other people are trying to make their point. So effin annoying. So rude. When Steven and Kenny were hosting the show, they would step on each other's points ALL THE TIME. Hopefully that will come to an end now that Robert and Sophie are hosting. I have reservations about Sophie, but I'm willing to give them a chance. Let's see what happens.

10. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am actually totally fine with how Kenny treats guests, because some of them labor on and don't even come close to pithiness. I was never into Steven's knowledge of football, so i was not sorry to see him go. I am iffy on Sophie, but she has surprised me. I am sure the show will only keep hosts on if they are valued by customers. Robert has come on strong; I think Kenny and him complemented each other as Robert can miss some angles as much as I love the amount of football he follows.

I think the show will need a sharp, knowledgeable personality, but it is always inetersting to see how a show grows.

11. FootballFutbolSoccer

Jun 22, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fake accounts??? I don't even see that they exist, do you have a link to these twitter accounts?

12. FootballFutbolSoccer

Jun 22, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Well, I did the minimal amount of searching it took and yes I found these accounts. They are certainly fake...they dont even have pictures and "catch me on ESPN"....what the hell kind of thing is that to say? So general and bullshitish....but HEY they have "fake" twitter accounts, the true sign of success!!!

13. metrostars1969

metrostars1969 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    When discussing the Pool fans don't forget the pictures of them burning the American flag!!!!!

14. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of stupid to create them, but that is social media for you.

15. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mind her, but she's a real gooner. Everything she says about Spurs is negative which is getting kinda annoying. Not asking you to love them, but if they have a good result can you give them some credit.

16. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have an apoointment in October. Adebayor to do it with Spurs against us? can not be allowed.

I can't blame her..;-)

17. socceranarchist

socceranarchist New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    First, good for you that you don't just blindly trust the words of a post on the internet, and I mean that. If more people questioned what they read on the internet we would all be better off.

Secondly, I didn't really mean the boycott leaders, I meant the fans in general. However, I do think there is some application here as I do seem to remember the boycott leaders bringing up the Heysel and the "murderers" chant in the context of Cohen reacting to Heysel. I know it was in a couple of the boycott letters they splashed across the internet.

Thirdly, for the attitude towards Heysel and the way the LFC fans rank and file (not all, but especially the ones from the boycott threads) see the following and see how they react to Heysel. Here are some posts that I was able to find quickly:

First, An epic post that says Heysel has never been fully investigated or understood.. essentially this guy is doing to Heysel what the LFC fans would not allow Cohen to do to Hillsborough, to look at it from a new angle

http://karlbaxter.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=footy&action=display&thread=462

Next, Kenny Daglish, beloved LFC player and Manager once defended the LFC fans at Heysel by declaring:

"The fact that fatalities might result wouldn't have occurred to the Liverpool fans when they ran across." This logic of course is not used to defend the horrible mistakes of the police at Hillsborough (opening the gate to relieve crushing at the turnstile only to cause crushing inside for failure to closs of the central pen). He even went so far as last season to wax poetic on how Liverpool didn't get to try to build on their success in Europe after Heysel because of “unhappy circumstances” (i.e. Heysel). There was no outcry against his words from fans, club, or media and certainly nothing from the fans that were so disgusted that Cohen had said LFC fans deserve some "shared responsibility" (a term that was majorly objected to by the LFC fans).

This April Richard Keys said that revenge for an earlier run-in with Italians was part of the motivation for the attacks at Heysel, this is something that is well documented and mentioned in almost every work on the subject, and the LFC fans came unhinged wanting him fired from his talk radio position. Again, LFC were doing what Cohen could not be allowed to do, questioning the established version of events.

I do remember, but boy it would take some time to locate, some posts made in threads that equated the LFC fan's innocence at Hillsborough with Heysel (especially in some threads about Cohen after he once said on the TV show to his Liverpool fan co-host: "Good Luck at the European Championship, try not to kill anyone this time". He made a donation to the HJC after that). After the recent bout, I think the boycott leaders were careful to avoid claiming innnocence at Heysel, but I'm sure the many, many fans who have found LFC long after both disasters were not as careful.

18. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty happy when Steven left actually, not because of LFC, but because his football knowledge was pretty limited and he actually spent a lot of time on human interest stories; not always, he had some great reactions to some games and he was professional when he interviewed guests (that's actually where he shined), but Robert and Kenny finally gave me the football that I wanted to explore and all the drama one needed on the game itself. For me Steven sounds as compelling at cricket as Kenny and Robert at football; story of first loves no doubt. Sophie gives me the same issues that Steven did; nit really a soccer person. She sounds best at general interest stories and would probably be awesome at a chat show format like Ellen, etc.

I think Robert needs another strong soccer guy, or girl, but Robert gas come a looong way.

19. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That being said, she is giving back as good as she is getting on her's and Roberts first show, we will see.

20. Hutman

Hutman New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Well this is what you wrote which is the exact opposite of what you're now saying.
    Again, when I was keeping an eye on the whole thing, despite what you claim, I never saw any of this Heysel denial stuff, which you say is prevalent. What I do remember is both the Liverpool fans and the Cohen people - both sides - turning the volume up with incendiary statements such as yours.

Even the forum you have linked to shows no evidence of that. In truth, as it pertains to Heysel, most of not all Liverpool fans seem to have the attitude of wishing to forget it and probably not address it rather than any of this denial stuff you say has happened and is happening.

I saw how things got out of control the last time and blanket statements such as yours that the boycott leaders denied Heysel - boycott leaders you can't even name - are typical of the lies that were running rampant the last time and definitely do not help.

I can't be the only one who wishes the Cohen fanboys and the Liverpool fans would just go away.

21. socceranarchist

socceranarchist New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

AGAIN, sorry for my mistake. As for using blanket statements, I will try to avoid them, but of course you know how easy it is to fall into that trap since you’ve made your own when you said “most of not all Liverpool fans seem to have the attitude of wishing to forget it and probably not address it..” Incredibly easy to make that mistake but your point remains valid that it can cause problems.

However, since it came up I went through the LFCNY thread that kickstarted the whole boycott campaign. In it a poster called Samarkland, who is regularly referenced (and accepts this title) as being one of the organizers of the boycott, put up a link to the time Steven said he had joined in the chants about Liverpool fans being murderers at Heysel. It was accompanied by Samarkland’s comment “Tell Us What You Really Think, Muppet.”

http://www.lfcny.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3077&highlight=heysel&page=11

I think this absolutely illustrates my intended original point that comments about Heysel were also one of their griveinces, perhaps it even better illustraits your point that they’d really rather not talk about it. It does not indicate that organizers were claiming LFC fans did no wrong at Heysel, which was not my intended point and I apologize.

22. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LFC fan or not, all football fans should educate themselves on what happened at Hillsborough, because the sad reality is that it was a disaster waiting to happen and it could have happened to any group of fans. The people of Liverpool are understandably sensitive on this issue because of the lies and cover up by the government, police and media establishment which started within hours of the tragedy and continues to this day.

The reason for the late arriving fans was due to traffic jams in the area because of an accident. Not drunken ticketless fans.

For years, Steve Cohen made no secret of his extreme dislike of Scousers. He continually made derogatory comments about them and his Hillsborough comments were simply intended to further antagonize them.

Steve's defense is that he is simply entitled to his opinion, and he certainly is, but unfortunately, he's not entitled to his own set of facts. He isn't simply stating his opinion, but trying to revise the facts of the event to fit his preconceived bigoted opinion of Liverpool and its people.

So fans of his, celebrate his return if you care. I for one haven't missed him over the last few years and won't be supporting him or his advertisers should he return. There are far better alternatives out there. People who actually understand the game and don't feel the need to spout nonsense about subjects they know nothing about.

For those who don't know what happened at Hillsborough, take some time to learn here (http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/index.htm). Ask yourself how you would feel if you survived and your 13 year old son was crushed next you. How you would feel if you felt your elbow was crushing someone's windpipe and you heard some jackass on the radio stirring things up and spreading lies.

96 people went to a football match that day and didn't come home. A newspaper ran an article stating drunken fans were urinating on and stealing from the dead.

How would you feel if that was your brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter and no one to this day has ever been held accountable.

Ask yourself does Steve Cohen really deserve your time and money?

23. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    Um, relax...
    This is a touchy subject for some but you really need to move on. Don't be so sensitive. It comes off like a lot of really self righteous, holier than thou bullshit.

I have watched and listened to him over the years and I have found him somewhat entertaing. I am anxious to hear what his new format will be though. More soccer on ESPN will make my life more enjoyable

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not being touchy son, just trying educate the ignorant.

Have fun relying on ESPN for your soccer fix.

25. Kilteddj

Kilteddj New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Cohen's a pr!ck, end of.

For all you soccer fans out there that are worried about LFC supporters taking away a new show that's not even in place yet, or are still pissed that you lost a show (that wasn't terribly great anyway...) because these fans decided to take action against a bigot that used TV to berate and degrade other teams fans; A question for you, how would it feel if he were attacking your team? Would it be the same scenario? Would your pro-Cohen views still run strong? Yeah, didn't think so. It's a case of my enemy's enemy is my friend and all that.....

It's all fine to run around spouting off cr@p that you only have your askew, prejudiced, views to base on, but Cohen had a medium that he could voice to a mass audience and therefore could affect many other peoples opinions on that particularly touchy subject. Ultimately, this worked against him, and I for one, laughed at him for it. If LFC had a staunch supporter that was in the public view like he was and made the same type comments, I'd completely try to rid him/her of their show also.

Anybody that gives the opinion that Liverpool supporters only did this as they had nothing better to do, is about as ignorant as it gets. As the previous poster said, imagine going to a game with a loved one, and not coming back as a unit... That is something that cannot even begin to be thought of.

If anyone could honestly say that they wouldn't stand up to a Cohen-like personality for attacking them and their loved ones, then they're a bigger bellend than Steven Cohen is.

Cheers, Kilted.

BTW I used many a template that was put in place and sent to many of FSN's sponsors, Heineken, PSG Sports, Newspaper Direct, etc. so I would like to think I did my part in getting Cohen the sack. :D

YNWA