Steven Cohen leaving World Football Daily

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by Giggslover, Mar 18, 2011.

1. DanielD

DanielD New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'll second that ... a Steven/Kenny or Kenny/Robert podcast couldn't come soon enough.

The decline of WFD is putting the pain back into my commuting hours. I like a few other footy podcasts (Soccer Report Extra, recently started listening to Beyond the Pitch) but I haven't found enough so far.

Anyone care to recommend your favorite footy podcasts? My rooting interests are Borussia Dortmund (blood), Fenerbahce (blood), Real Madrid (marriage), Tottenham Hotspur (masochism) and Chicago Fire (home), but I also enjoy discussion of Champions League, Serie A, Ligue 1, South America ...

2. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bestsoccershow (MLS), BBC 606 - fan reactions EPL, world football fone-in, football weekly, football ramble

3. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would give Seeing Red a try they talk NY redbulls and also MLS they have alot of good gusts like players good show.

http://www.seeingredny.com/

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now an orgy of bitterness on twitter between WFD's twitter account and I'm now assuming former contributor MB Medhi (@calcioeurope) over Martin Rogers.

WFD is free fallin'.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the following tweet from Kenny stuck out.

In response to this: @KennyWFDLive dare I ask if the rumors are true about you and Steve? Please say yes....

"they already are.....it is time for the Navy Seals of football to rescue this mission..."

6. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    They are definitely getting testy about criticism of the changes. I always felt before that the show cared about the fans but it doesn't feel that way anymore.

I can't wait for Kenny and Cohen to start up their new show and I will be very disappointed if that doesn't happen.

7. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    These two say pretty much all I need to know:
    "only have good things to say about Burns, maybe he'll even be a great producer in the near future."
    "The Xmas break is good for football and will be for the podcast world. Change is coming"

I hate to pile on the WFD guys because I seriously doubt they decided to cause all this ruckus... but the whole thing just reeks of mismanagment most possibly from the people that now own the show. When Kenny got back on twitter he lost a lot of points with me, but I'm pretty excited about him and Steven getting another show going.

8. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Kenny's ego grew tenfold the day Steven announced he was leaving. I can pinpoint the day the show Jumped the Shark for me, it was drunken WC show last summer. I think it's gone downhill since. The Liverpool saga obviously took it's toll on Steven, then when the Chelsea execs jumped in- I think the poor guy just lost his love for the game (he really should have just apologized and moved on). I was always torn on Kenny though- he adds a bit of humor and much knowledge but he's a bit of a douche. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. I don't think they can repeat their glory days. Football Weekly puts the rest to shame but it is only 45 mins twice per week.

9. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well hell, why did they leave it to begin with? because they sold the show and suddenly didnt like losing control of it? they should've stayed there, developed relationships with certain outlet like goal dot com or yahoo or whatever, then just have long-term subs if either needed a break. steven always seemed bi-polar, so i get why he would want to leave then suddenly want to come back, then want to leave again. but its hyper nature that made him the most interesting host.

10. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me as one less than impressed by Cohen on football.

11. sfdanryan

sfdanryan Member

Jun 5, 2009
    I received the "Your subscription is set to expire soon" email yesterday. I cancelled. RIP WFD

12. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I've emailed them to see if I will get a prorated part of my annual subscription back (which renewed about 3 months ago) before I decide to leave. If not, then I'll just stick with the show but not be very happy about it.

13. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    There's no way they'll be handing money back... I had my acocunt set to auto-renew in December so I deleted my credit card info. I might get back on board after the new year, but I want to see what Steven and Kenny have in store.

14. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    They will give a prorated amount of money back as long as it's within 90 days of when you renewed according to an email I received from customer service. It was a very convenient time frame for them considering that I am about 2 weeks past 90 days.

15. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about most possibly from Steven/Kenny? why did they give up control? the new show will have to be free, cause how do i know one or the other wont find it difficult then be off with that show too? the show gained my admiration during the liverpool saga (much love to you tony the Brit from a small town in new mexico), but this coming and going is annoying. on some level i could relate to robert, but this martin guy seems alright he's just a bit too young (and i'm in my mid 30s). he's kind of like the smart kid who has no personality. sure, he has stories of doing interviews at world cups but there's something inexperienced about him. maybe he's a bit stale. does he ever tell any raunchy jokes?

16. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    Didn't they give up control because Steven was leaving the show? I thought Kenny had stated when he left that it was about 6 months prior that they sold it which would correspond (I believe) to the time when Cohen would have been thinking of moving on.

17. usernamefriendly

Jul 12, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it today, just erased it but seeing this reminded me to erase my credit card info. I've been listening to the show since 2008 and when Steven left I didn't listen properly for weeks, didn't listen regularly anymore, just kinda skimmed through the ones that seemed boring and listened to the others. I come back from a vacation in England a month ago to find that Kenny's leaving as well and that broke me. I haven't listened to a single episode since. I've started a few and just left after a few minutes, it's just not interesting.

Regardless of what some may say I really enjoy the the duo and hope they get back together. I paid for them, not Robert and Sophie or anyone else.

Something tells me that this was planned. It just got weird when the search for Steven's replacement stretched on and on until they just seemed to stop taking about it. It became normal for Robert and Sophie to switch off every other day or so. I honestly think Steven and Kenny sold the show and wanted to be rid of it. If they weren't in control what was the point? They made some money and trained the replacements. They might've already had job offers on the table but knew that they couldn't leave at once without at least giving the show something.

18. La Famiglia

La Famiglia New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Kobe
    Club:
    Vissel Kobe
    I cancelled my WFD subscription last week after listening for 4 years - every day. It was a sad day. I sent them a long email explaining how much I appreciated their efforts over the years and explaining my reasons for cancelling. Not surprisingly, I have not received, nor do I expect, a reply.
    In a nutshell, the only thing that had kept me hanging on by the thinnest of threads was Robert Burns. Even if it were free, it wouldn't be part of my daily podcast routine anymore...
    That's life.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also cancelled. I'm not paying to listen to Martin and Sophie.

Sorry Rafa.

20. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    WFD has me until next August since I renewed in August 2011 for 1 year. Unless there is a dramatic improvement, I will not be renewing (I would have cancelled already but when I contacted them I was told that since it was out of the 90 day window they would not even refund a prorated amount). I feel screwed at this point so I would advise anyone to get out while they can rather than pay for the growing pains this show is going through.

Also, all of these new club specific podcasts don't improve the brand for me. They just water down what was created. It seems like smoke and mirrors in an attempt to keep people even though they know that the product is now crap.

21. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they should contract Kyle Martino for 2/3 shows a week.

22. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    --and enough Sophie. I have not tuned in for awhile, but she does not make me want to come back.

23. DanielD

DanielD New Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I've just cancelled my WFD subscription. The following was my note. I sincerely hope the show gives me a reason to re-subscribe in the future. I want to support quality football content.

================

Thank you for the great content over the years, but the quality of the show has declined to the point where I can't bring myself to listen anymore. I was hanging in there with Robert as co-host because I think he was a quality analyst of the game, but with his departure I've decided, as an expression of my displeasure, to cancel even though I have over two months left on my membership. Martin and Sophie don't have a breadth of knowledge and have little of interest to say; on top of that, I find Sophie annoying to the point it would be difficult to listen to the show if it were free, and much less so when I'm paying for it. Recent trends in the type and quality of the guests has also been discouraging ... the guest lineup used to be an incredible strength of the show. Now there are far too many players and second-/third-tier journalists/bloggers/broadcasters.

I'm hoping that the show changes direction. I would be eager to re-subscribe for the type of content that the show had been producing before the changes of the last several weeks.

24. TarheelJTK

TarheelJTK Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Jersey City
    I just found out the other day while listening live in chat that Martin admitted to not even watching the Bundesliga. That's just embarrassing. Get ready for Premier League only radio with 2 English people who have very little knowledge of anything outside of England and even admit that.

25. kalmondolgin

kalmondolgin Member

Oct 5, 2011
    anyone have an idea of how many subscribers the show has?

the forums on the site are pretty dead..

i don't listen live- but anyone note how many people are chatting?

they always say to call in on facebook and on show bumpers, yet calls from fans seem rare.

anyway- im sure they like the subscription concept- but with steven and kenny gone- might be worthwhile to think about trying to get some ad support and trying to go free or lower cost. agreed with most people's comments that the show is a lot less compelling that it used to be (its way down on my list of football podcasts yet i PAY for only this one???) and wondering how many people they are losing vs. gaining from Yahoo etc..

i felt better paying for the podcast when i felt that i was supporting steven and kenny- but now that it is corporate owned plus the quality has declined and the hosts and guests are less compelling- i find it hard to justify paying their price. dont want to see show die, but get better. id love to actually see them scale back on 2 hrs a day of mediocre radio plus side shows into maybe just a few quality shows a week