"Step away from the line . . ."

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Mar 22, 2019.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the England referee thread, we had a pretty long discussion about how ARs shouldn't be right on the line as the ball comes near our touchline. Last night, I had my first AR of the season. I made it a point to be at least one yard off the touchline at all times, and then backed off the touchline even more when the ball was close to the touchline.

This was the single-best mechanic change I've ever experienced related to AR positioning. That additional 1-2 yards off the line opened my field of vision substantially and allowed me to confidently rule on offside with the defending team in the first half on my side playing an offside trap. I also had one play where two players and the ball met right in front of me. I was able to correctly rule on the ball going out of bounds and which team had the throw-in.

All I can say is thanks for that discussion. That was a god-send of a discussion for me.

dadman, IASocFan and Geko repped this.
  2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And here's me hating it when I look down and find myself a yard inside the line ... :barefoot:

dadman, SparkeyG and Rufusabc repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Just be sure you have the space! Last weekend in a G16 game, as players came toward me and I backed further up, the bench reached up and took me out. :oops: After the game, almost a dozen of the players asked if I was OK. . . .

It was an entertaining game for the girls--my R caught a cleat in the shoelace of the other shoe and did a sumersault, springing back up . . .

dadman and IASocFan repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, I had plenty of room (20 feet or so) between the touchline and the fence separating the bleachers and field. In the JV game, I was running a two-man and actually stepped into the technical area once or twice to get a better angle. The coaches were great about this, and I also made sure I wasn't close to anyone. However, in all honesty I won't use that mechanic again anytime soon.

5. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    Good for you! Building comfort with that positioning (and maintaining a straight-ish line as you move down the line - as straight as the line is, anyway) makes a huge difference in line of sight, and stepping back and forward as needed easily is a power move.

Speaking of power moves, I believe our very own @coreyrock once posted (on Twitter?) about stepping forward and straddling the line facing the other half of the field when watching for a close in/out decision. Or maybe I made that up? Either way, it works for me, both to make a good decision and to look awesome doing it.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I will ALWAYS look to find ways to improve myself as an official. I definitely don’t have all the answers. If I learn something to help me (especially as an AR, as I know I’m not as good of an AR as I am as a center), I’ll take it.

dadman repped this.
  7. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Why not? I do this with some frequency.

8. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    There's two HS fields I've worked that are just fields wedged into the only semi-flat space around (non-stadium) and none of the surrounding terrain features, fences, or bleachers are square, perpendicular, etc. to the field... and whoever mows it thinks abstract cut patterns are appropriate. It's visual chaos. When lead on a dual, unless I'm looking down the half line or top of PA for reference, I've got to get wide to have the touchline in my peripheral view so I'm not watching for OS at a 15* or worse angle.

9. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    The footing's probably better there. Not all the grass has worn away and turned into a mud-pit by all the AR's in previous games.

voiceoflg repped this.
  10. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also provides a better view on a crowned field where you can't see the ball in the far corner because of the crown.

I had an assessor comment on my wandering away from the line, and my response was that I was out of the way and needed to see the ball and the play. No further comment - probably because he knew I was a lost cause.

MJ91 and roby repped this.
  11. SoccerRefNova

SoccerRefNova Member

DC United
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2018
    I was told to try this during a game. I liked the concept, but at the average game I got parents/benches right at my heels.

But when I can, I do get about 4-6 feet away from the touchline.

12. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Have them move back before the game starts?

That’s the worse when I am running a line on an amateur match and I have a couple of toddlers getting in my way.

MJ91 repped this.
  13. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    Exactly. "Folks, I need enough room outside the line for a player plus me. I don't look where I'm running, don't run a straight line, and will be all sweaty... You might not want my big butt landing in your lap."

Last August, HSGV AR2, 8 yr old ball-boy neglected my instructions. Breakaway, I got over him then crash landed. i had knee scoped in December to clean up the mess.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  14. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Did you sue?

15. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    No, didn't take an official ball-boy to court.

It was a blowout, ball hadn't been in my half for 10+ minutes... He'd crept up, squatting, towards the touchline halfway down to the flag.

Finished the season then two months' rest didn't improve it. Surgeon said an initial meniscus tear likely happened decades ago...

16. SoccerRefNova

SoccerRefNova Member

DC United
    Mexico
    Mar 27, 2018
    What a novel idea. Almost as novel as the fences they installed to "protect the turf" on about 70% of the fields they have here in the DC Area. All in all, I'm looking at 7-8 feet of real estate between me and a chain linked barrier. Throw in a couple players or their parents on the sidelines, and I got 4-6 feet. Take my standard "1 yard" step away from the line, and my butt is already earning cash in front of the parents.

tomek75 and dadman repped this.
  17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    taking a step back when nearing the corner flag is a lesson I painfully learned after about 20 years of purple toenails from getting stomped by players - I'm not a fast learner! Things get pretty tight in the corners!

dadman repped this.
  18. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Toyota Park’s (or, excuse me, “Seatgeek Stadium’s”) turf practice field there is a fence like you have but all spectators are behind the fence. The whole space is mine! Same as an indoor facility near me with a full 120x80 field, glass barrier, then spectators. My favorite type of field to run a line on.

SparkeyG, tomek75 and dadman repped this.
  19. coreyrock

coreyrock Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I can't take credit for advising to straddle the line.. I posted something similar about taking a few steps BACK when play is coming down your wing to your immediate left and you still have to stay with 2LD. This allows you to see the kick point with your peripheral while still keeping the offside player/2LD in your direct view.

Doug the Ref, RefLI, dadman and 8 others repped this.
  20. Buck the ref

Buck the ref Member

Aug 7, 2012
    For me, this is bad positioning, as you see if the ball is out of play on a quick out/in play - standing off the line you cannot see down the line, only at an angle

21. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Move your feet.

voiceoflg repped this.
  22. Buck the ref

Buck the ref Member

Aug 7, 2012
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Like everything, it depends. This is balancing the likelihood of a close in-out with the likelihood of a challenging OS call where knowing the exact moment of contact is critical. (I kinda think @coreyrock knows a bit about how to balance those concerns.) This is a classic type of judgment that comes with experience in balancing those two interests. A ball in the air with players challenging may make for a more challenging in-out call. A dribbler with some space makes the cross for an OS call more challenging. Like most things in our games, we have to avoid rigid thoughts and use judgment in particular situations--this is a tool that can be well applied in the right context..

coreyrock, IASocFan and Geko repped this.
  24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Your position is not static. Obviously if play is up the line and you are likely to have to make a close in-out call, you want to be standing right on the line to make that call. But for most play in front of you, most of us find some advantage in taking a step back. Similarly, sometimes you want your position to be square to the field. Sometimes a 45-degree turn makes it a lot easier to do the swivel-head to keep track of both the offside line and play up the touch line.

No single position is best for every situation. Position yourself as the game requires at that moment.

dadman repped this.
  25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've turned the same ankle twice on the same line of the same field in two weeks. For the second half of my last game there, I stayed 2-3 yards off the line. I figured a potential missed out of bounds call wasn't as important as me getting through the game with my ankle intact.

IASocFan repped this.