Steffiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Points (Road to WWC 2019)[R]

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by White/Blue_since1860, Dec 24, 2017.

?

Worst German NT player atm?

1. Babett Peter

50.0%
  2. Babett Peter

33.3%
  3. KATHY HENDRICH

16.7%
  4. Babett Peter

66.7%
  5. Mandy Islacker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Laudehr shouldn't have been part of the squad anyway. Her entire time with Bayern last season was crippled by various injury concerns, making this latest news an incredibly obvious outcome.

2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Your not the only person who's unconvinced with Lyon being the best home for certain players to continue their development. But if your going to ask questions here, it should concern the possible factors that stop the top German clubs truly competing for their own nations top talent, no?

I mean you can't blame Lyon for having a better recruitment policy than both Wolfsburg or Bayern clubs, and you can't really blame the German players for wanting to go there for the money either, when the top Bundesliga clubs continue to appear incapable of identifying or financing the hoarding of the best domestic talent available at the time.

Lyon identified Simon's talent, and intelligently recruited her for their team. And they did this from a league Wolfsburg's known about Simon being the best LB in the nation for a full 3 years prior lol.

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Maier - Demann - Wenninger - Faißt
    -------- Hendrich ------ Magull ---------
    Däbritz ------- Dallmann --------- Rolfö
    ------------------- Rolser -------------------
    Somthing like this is what we'd see next season if Bayern's recruitment policy serious about trying to compete in the UCL. A top German club showcasing a real commitment to building their identity around the spine of domestic names.

But why has this tradition disappeared..? Foriegn clubs like Lyon can only get the best German players, because the top Bundesliga clubs have been useless identifying and recruiting the best domestic names.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Oh.. and if people want a good insight into the true scale of difficulty this U-20 side will have with Japan, it needs to be noted that Meinert says she was pleased with her teams performance vs Haiti...
    [​IMG]

5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I think Meinert might of coached one too many of these tournaments, lol. Despite 5 Freiburg players they should be playing with a lot more chemistry, and you would think that Gwinn would of emerged as a star player by now ala Bremer did in 2014 as we we know she's got the potential

last time 2016) Meinert didn't want to bring back still eligible players like Bremer, Raus & Knaak) & suffered the consequences . This time she's got more of a senior squad & should b doing better. Hopefully she's keeping some kinda of surprise trump card for last(or this upcoming game). otherwise it's going to be tough going vs Japan, who's going to be very chemistry oriented

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly what I said after the last tournament, and something I've felt since Neid left the senior team with all of the girls Meinert's seen her biggest success with.

But talking about the current team she's working with, I don't understand how she's in the 4th game at this WC, and can't figure out the obvious reasons behind her teams struggles in attack.

Facing Japan, it's the same defensive approach that's allowing her team to hang on against another opponent who looks significantly more advanced in the areas of tactics, and overall balance.

So knowing I won't be able to watch the 2nd half live, I'll say Germany's only chance to win this match will come from their defense being able to stop Japan scoring by any means necessary.

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Freigang continues to be a trash #10/CAM, Gwinn isn't staying out wide again, showcasing all of the negatives from her previous performances in this WC.

So the 2nd half will either showcase Germany executing a very stressful 1-0 victory, or they will crumble to the superior ability of the Japanese to move the ball, making this potentially a very ugly defeat.

8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm just watching the scoreline but it looks like Japan lead??

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Final score 3-1 Japan with the German goal only coming in the 92 minut

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually 82'.

11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #686 Batfink, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    [​IMG]

Easily the worst series of German U-20 performances I've seen in a long time, and this with Meinert also having access to an overall better squad than the ones witnessed during the past two U-20 WC's.

So after facing China, Nigeria, Haiti, and finally Japan, I struggle to say I've witnessed any positives here; which honestly shouldn't be a surprise anymore given the clear systemic failures of this wnt program, in desperate need of some genuine restructuring.

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    but I've been bedazzled by Meinert's behavior way before;

2012 WC. she should of won the championship(considering how powerful the squad was) but came into the final with her team looking like it had a lack of preparation & conditioning as it ran out of gas late in the first half all ready

2014 I liked that she went to a more simplified. gegen pressing & long balling. style. but was kinda shocked when she had Linda Dallmann as a sub, not even getting into the finals game until OT(as even back then I was predicting Linda to become her country's premier player)

2016 didn't get to watch any of the games, but remember that Bremer & Raus still qualified for the team, but weren't chosen plus Schuller went out injured after the first game

2018 just shocking hoe baldy coached it was, as even yesterday's game commentator said 'let's just say the lineup is NOT well defined' in other words, nobody could makes sense of it

I would ask two questions;

1)if she didn't have the personnel, why didn't she simplify the style?(like she did in 2014)

2) why didn't she choose the right players for this competition? She didn't play Linger at all yesterday(even though she was the one bright spot in the Haiti game)

and she left Stolze & Anonmi out of it even though her current squad had no goal scoring power to it

blissett repped this.
  13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Plus I know some people may not like hearing this either, but the all female coaching policy while an admirable gesture by the DFB, is clearly nothing but a broken system of bias within a sport of increasing professionalism.

So I wonder what it will take for somebody within the DFB to finally intervene and help this program create a more positive footballing identity again. Because it's not going anywhere but backwards with the current leadership, who randomly thought a complete novice like Jones was an acceptable option to lead the senior team lol.

I mean somebody like Katja Greulich stated her growth was only going to be limited being a coach within the senior teams current structure... making her words seem rather prophetic given everything we've seen recently.

14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In 2014 she had an attacking quartet featuring Däbritz - Petermann - Bremer - Panfill, within an otherwise average team featuring a non existent CM, and a completely improvised back 4 of Wilde - Gidion - Knaak - Rauch.

So anybody suggesting that team had a "Style" is rather amusing, as they would win that tournament being carried by their four talented forwards all being on the same wavelength, outside of their coaches completely flawed tactical approach.

Meaning how was this years U-20's supposed to replicate that success, when their supposedly best offensive individuals like Freigang, Sanders, Gwinn, didn't even look like they knew what jersey their own team were wearing..?
    If she used Stolze and Anyomi the same way she used them during the U-19 Euro's, it wouldn't have made any difference if they were part of the U-20 team.

15. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    The squad's out, but I can't help to feel that the midfield's literally without CMs and DMs except from Leupolz
    and we all know that Leupolz hasn't performed very good the last years...

Rolser's dabei

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have a feeling their going to lose against Iceland....
    [​IMG]

17. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    YEah this can get really ugly for Germany :confused:

18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    And Peter's in the squad so that's a danger in itself

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    the only reason you might want a possible loss is perhaps to shake up the powers to be, but if they don't want to even get rid of Jorgi after that disaster in Russia, fat chance anybody's paying attention whats happening on the women's side, lol/

I got faith in Horst, he'll win the game. But it's not always about how you prepare or who'll you start, it's also scouting the opponent(which I think Horst does better than any of his predecessors).

I remember the remark the Icelandic coach made; "Germans play all the same way" Now thinking about it, he wasn't referring to the players, but previous German tactics, & he did counter, not with a high press, but with midfield pressure as he knew that's where the German team was going to congregate, so hence the trap was set at mid

That's why tactically, i would high ball it over the mid(since with so many troops at mid, they probably left the behind flanks spaces open). But this time around, Iceland only needs a tie, so they'll be holding back.

Horst will be missing arguably his fastest/most agile players in Huth & Hendrich. But the attacking players at his disposal still go deep, whereas IC's de facto destroyer, Brynjarsdottir, is missing(do to pregnancy). That's half their offence, look for them to use just one lone attacker, but then that can still be scary if Peter is still back there(as even the 17 year old Gwinn beat her in a leg match last season, lol)

Hopefully Horst has Doorsoun & Demann as CB's(and this time keeps the later back there instead of moving up to DM, like in previous games)

20. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Doorsoun hasn't justified a spot beside Kristin Demann at all during her games under Horst, although I strongly believe she's going to partner her anyway...

I've followed Wolfsburg a bit during their friendlies and I have absolutely no idea what Lerch's plan with his defense is...

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    coaches tend to be different, Horst started Doorosun at CB in all 4 of his games, WOB coach apparently didn't start her yet, but maybe it's not to get her hurt before the Iceland match?

I think she does hustle a lot more than from the other CB's plus got experience as an DM(so gives that extra ball distribution ability) but her is a bit small, which probably hurts her to defend against bigger players on set pieces

22. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yeah I’d go with Jojo Elsig instead who’s now nominated for Babett Peter

23. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Based on what...? All I've seen are the same errors in player selection, and confused approach to tactics, showcased by all the recent wnt coaches at every level of the game.

They don't press the ball correctly, still looking incredibly disjointed in the areas they should be aiming to be compact, lacking any of the genuine athleticism throughout the team to play this magical direct 1v1 style you randomly decided the best way Germany gets back to being a realistic competitor for major tournaments.

And this is why even if I want to be proven wrong, I'm still in the complete belief this team loses in Iceland, reproducing all the same intangible factors you feel Hrubesch has supposedly provided this team post Jones.

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Has anybody outside Peter or Henning been provided with the length of time to justify their credentials as a starting CB within this team..?

It's why the defense is still a randomly assorted mess, where nobody seems to be selected knowing where they'll be playing should they ever get put into the team lol.

This best witnessed with the erratic decisions that's seen Maier, Faißt, Hendrich, Doorsoun, and Demann, all used as DM one game, and then randomly CM in the next.

Meaning post Neid, besides Peter and Henning, none of the other credible defensive options have seen true team based continuity towards gaining an understanding for their long term roles on the national team.
    Hmmmm... like usual, I think it's as simple as him praying Fischer is fit.

25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #700 Batfink, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    And I see Ulrike Ballweg manages to get another contract extension, to help continue her hugely successful development of talent within the various youth teams she's long been a major part of...
    [​IMG]