Rumor: Stefan Aigner signing

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by _Ace_, Jul 22, 2017.

1. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few reports on Twitter that the Rapids are signing 29-year-old German midfielder Stefan Aigner, who plays for 1860 Munich in the 2.Bundesliga.

https://www.merkur.de/sport/tsv-186...-aigner-zieht-es-wohl-in-mls-8507435.amp.html

Google translation from German:
    Munich - According to information from tz, ex-Leo Stefan Aigner (29) faces a change to the American MLS to the Colorado Rapids.

In June, "Aiges" had expressed his personal situation in the tz interview. Thus, after the lion's descent, there were reflections to keep fidelity in the third league. "That was a consideration, yes. I've already gone through with the family. But regional league ... I am 29, sport is my profession. I do not want to make myself smaller than I am and play at the highest possible level. "

On speculation, according to which FC Augsburg expressed interest in Aigner, Aigner did not want to enter then: "I can only say that I personally still with no club talked."

Nevertheless, he announced that he would be interested in "Bundesliga or a good club abroad". Now the rapids from Colorado seem to have won the bid.

In the summer of 2016, Aigner moved from Eintracht Frankfurt to the Lions for three million euros. In the sixty-jersey he came in a total of 28 games on four goals and three goal participation.

2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    We could use some more "goal participation" but three in 28 matches may not move the needle.

3. _Ace_

_Ace_ Member

Aug 22, 2006
    I wish it was Colo.
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I'm guessing that means he had four goals and three assists.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he's primarily a winger who can also play striker. Not sure that's really the player type we need. Another Gashi/Badji type.

wormhole repped this.
  5. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Yes I assumed it was just a google translate thing, but it could imply that at the end of the season you could have a Golden Boot and a Participation Trophy that actually meant something.

6. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kucsdat and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Knowing that our team is in such bad shape, I suspect he does raise the level for this team. It is a really low bar right now.

Just not sure he raises it enough

rod.

COMtnGuy, 22SteveD, m vann and 4 others repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    My gut reaction is he wouldn't make a significant difference. He looks like he would fill roughly the same role as Gashi. His transfer value has dropped (according to Transfermarkt) by millions of Euros over the last several years. His team has been relegated to the third division so he's looking for a new gig.

Certainly I am cynical at this point. And this type of acquisition makes me more so. He is a depth kind of guy as far as I can tell, not a "game changer."

COMtnGuy, 22SteveD, m vann and 2 others repped this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Dang, 1860 Munich got relegated from Bundesliga 2?? What's going on with them, financial trouble?

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    It was supposed to be from the second division to the third division, but it looks like there are some serious financial troubles that might force them to the amateur level.

11. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like just the type of financial situation Smith would consider. I get shopping for value, but it's the same way my wife considers value. "Ooh, shiny thing 50% off." Instead of getting what we need at a reasonable price.

12. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't ring any bells for me, but to play devil's advocate a bit, his track record in Germany is very respectable (better than Conor Casey's, for example). Going by transfermarkt, his 2014-15 was pretty stellar, chipping in more goals than, as an example, Bobby Wood did for HSV this year.

13. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, Wikileaks has a transcript of the RFO's discussion about Aigner:

Tha Gubnah: Look, we're about to get the Wooden Spoon. Do something, quick.

An alternate Gubnah: Yeah, Chicago got the spoon last year.

Other alternate Gubnah: Hey Chicago's looking good this year. What'd they do?

Tha Gubnah: They signed that German guy with the funny name.

An alternate Gubnah: Anybody know any Germans? Anybody? Anybody?

Intern: I had a roomate once who took German in high school.

Tha Gubnah: You da man! Go get us a German, quick!!! Schnell, schnell!

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Interesting. My objection on the surface is that he isn't filling an immediate need as he appears to be a winger of which the Rapids seem to have an abundance of with some decent to solid talent. So if Aigner is going to make a difference has to be significantly better than lets say Gashi or even Serna and Hairston.

And if he's a winger does this mean someone else on the roster is traded or moved to another position? Hairston permanently to right back. etc.

IF he can play at forward and score frequently then perhaps he's a good get.

15. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    One though. What if Gashi's injury is worse than people think? Or if the goal is to move Hairston back to Defense? Does that change the perspective?

kucsdat, JasonMa and wormhole repped this.
  16. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when does he arrive?

17. wormhole

wormhole Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Westminster, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. And...

I like both Serna and Hairston, but they're not starters in the MLS on any team other than the Rapids.

18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    If Gashi is out not only the rest of this season, but a portion of next season as well then it does chance my perspective. But it doesn't change the need for a #10 and #9 and an upgrade in talent.

19. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, this looks like the Rapids were shopping in the discount bin.

Aigner started playing with 1860 Munich as a young boy, so his heart is with the club. He was brought back to the team from Eintracht Frankfurt last year, as the club pinned its hopes on him. After 1860 Munich were relegated from the 2. Bundesliga, he considered sticking with them in the third division, but he just couldn't do it when the club was headed even further down to the amateur leagues.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from hearing Aigner's name pop up here and there on the Yanks Abroad board while Booby Wood was cutting his teeth at 1860 Munich I don't know much about him to know if he's a good player and can bring a much needed punch to attacking third. I just don't know. Just poking around viewing highlights, they seem to be favorable but those are always slanted one way or the other. From the naked eye Aigmer looks to be inverted winger / forward much like Gashi. Sure you can play him opposite of Gashi and you never know. I am not opposed to a "Gashi style signing" however you still have the same glaring problem that has plagued Gashi (and others) --- there is no one to feed them the ball on a consistent basis. So potentially you could have two players searching for the ball, wanting the ball but throwing a "wrench" into whole system and further unbalancing the team. Of course it could be argued Pablo has no real system but that's whole other discussion. Personal preference is that the Rapids go search for a true #10 before pursing the likes of Aigner but beggars can't be choosers.

JasonMa repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, because if Gashi is in bad shape this doesn't come near to fixing the offensive woes we have. And moving Hairston back is short for "not going out and signing the outside back we actually need". If anything, those two options make this move worse somehow.

About all I can see in a way of improvement is something like:

Howard
    RB - CB - CB - LB
    Azira - Boateng
    Badji---------------------Aigner
    Gashi
    Doyle​

Rod1916 and fortcollins repped this.
  22. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. On two levels, this is still disheartening. First, even this lineup is a second division MLS West team. Second, the back line is Swiss Cheese and everything defensively depends on Howard, while the hope for any real offense is someone suddenly being able to deliver good service. I just don't see either working for a whole season. Losing Cronin ripped the heart out of last year's team, and Howard is in the twilight of his career. Doyle has absolutely played his heart out this year, to no avail. He can't score without the ball, and he's having to retreat defensively to fill the gaping holes behind him. I can't help but see a franchise drowning in mediocrity, with no real direction or future.

23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me guess, they have decided that DM is the position most in need of improvement yet again.

fortcollins repped this.
  24. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 m vann, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    You know.......I was curious about our defensive record. So I looked it up. The defense doesn't pass the "eye test" but statically speaking they have conceded 28 goals for 9th best in the league and aren't that far off from being in the top 5. However, where we don't pass the "eye test" is the 14.9 fouls per game (1st in MLS), 71 yellows (4 way tie for 2nd) and 3 Reds (middle of the pack) and they fact most of the opponents goals were scored inside the 18. Offensively........ don't get my started those stats were scary bad. But we already knew that! :D