statement regarding 1906 ultras protest

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belfast Boy

Belfast Boy New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Ultras ought to be ashamed of themselves. First of all that banner wasn't clever, funny or relevant to anything football, and to try and hide your lack of imagination and poor decision making behind the constitution, free speech or artistic license is an embarrassing stretch to most and most likely offensive to some. I can't believe none of the Ultras at any point during "conceptualizing" and executing this banner said "you know what ?..Maybe we shouldn't do this, because it’s really not that funny or clever. I think we can do better". This is really the best you could come up with? I've seen your work, and some of it has made me chuckle and laugh. This though?...solicited the lowest common denominator (and they didn't even think it was funny) and lacked any originality or real thought. Just because someone DIDN'T complain doesn't mean it wasn't offensive. You guys have quickly become the dorky friend that tells a horrible joke in the middle of a flowing conversation and it just lays there and brings the conversation to a grinding embarrassing halt. ..And now the circle is looking at one another wondering who invited you.

Secondly, I was there with on Saturday with friends, and one of their teenage son’s started cheering encouragement for the team (because nobody else was) and he was quickly approached by someone who handed him a printed paper outlining the Ultras protest and requested him to stop cheering.. (read: STOP CHEERING) My jaw dropped. That's the point where you lost me and a lot of your benefactors forever. Actively soliciting fans NOT to cheer is disgraceful and shameful as a supporter. I know how you love to see yourselves in an image as some famous European firm, but let me tell you something, from someone who has sat in his fair share of visiting Kops abroad...If any respectable supporters group caught wind of what you did and attempted to do, they would have run you out of the stand, the crimson glow of a road flare protruding from your backside being the last we see of you.
    Your website banner proclaims "Win or Lose, We'll Always Be There For You". REMOVE IT NOW...Because nothing could be further from the truth. You’ve proven, by definition and example to possess and foster the fair-weathered, simpleminded, uniquely American mentality that has kept the masses from truly understanding the real soul and appeal of "The Beautiful Game". It's supposed to course through your veins, It’s supposed to make you laugh and cry. You decide to get on, and you willingly become a passenger..For the good, the bad and EVERYTHING in between.. For the Lads. For the Club.... But this? Your behavior? , Asking fans not to cheer? Shameful… And I (and a lot of others) aren't having it.

2. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if there's a barometer the boards here are becoming like the bigsoccer Crew section--a ton of infighting among the fans of the same team and it usually escalates into a petty pissing contest/flame war rather than the usual disagreements over tactics, players, and philosophy.

-----
    It's going to get closed anyway based on how things have been of late. Best for the groups involved to use quiet diplomacy and moving on to the next match in the interim. As for everything else that has been personal (rather than the usual disagreement among friends/family), it's becoming like CNN Crossfire and it might be time to settle this with a duel in the cage. :rolleyes:

3. Redbeard's Revenge

Redbeard's Revenge New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As stated previously, we are and always have been there for the players. They supported us in our endeavors.

Next.

4. AlexLallos

AlexLallos Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Monterey CA
    Oh please- Stop being some square- I thought it was fun and provocative...

A famous firm? From what I know about Ultras, they have nothing to do with these so called firms - The Brits can barely figure out how to afford a match ticket let alone support their team properly. Yippie for modern football and people like you taking all the fun out of things!

5. Zico1981

Zico1981 Member

Apr 6, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhhhh, we were there. We just weren't chanting. And we were in Denver last year. And in New York. And in Seattle. And in LA.

6. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And others from your group calling the FO a bunch of people who don't negotiate in good faith, etc... isn't judgmental? There is a LOT of misinformation floating throughout this thread. A LOT!

I am also passionate about this club. I care very deeply, and have cared since 1975 when my Dad first started taking me to Quakes games. I care deeply for this club, the fans, the fan groups, and soccer in Silicon Valley. I too sat on the board of SSV for the first 3.5 years of its existence. Some of the most difficult times that organization faced, and I did it because of my passion for this club.

However, I do stand by my thought that the approach being taken on the boards initially was aggressive in tone. Regardless if it is in writing, which can have a tone that is not intended, the tone was still there, and was heard and felt by MANY.

This entire thread is filled with so much information that isn't accurate that it has allowed it to take on a life of its own. In a way I am proud of the FO for not coming on here to join in the pissing match, because this issue should be left at the conference room table between adults from both sides.

It needs to be handled better.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This I think is the key point I've taken from the latter parts of this thread. There are always two sides to every story (and many points on both sides), and currently in this thread we're only talking about one side (the Ultras) and not even the whole Ultras side of the issue since there's something they're holding back. I can't believe that the "7 pt" list was the whole story. If it was I can't believe the Ultras would have reacted with a silent protest for 90 minutes.

So it's probably best to just shut this thread down and let the Ultras and the FO work out their issues since they're the only ones who really know the whole story until such time as it's resolved and/or they're ready to share it.

8. dmaveritas

dmaveritas Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said this 20 pages ago :)

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So how close are we all to harmony again. I don't want to enter a morgue against Chivas.

10. tmack

tmack Member

Dec 7, 2007
    santa cruz
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then don't let it be one

11. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anybody link me to past discussions about the pros and cons of SG's at Quakes games?

Frankly, I'm a little disturbed by some of the comments made by Ultras in this thread as well as in their linked blog explanation, but I'd like to read more on the subject, if there is an archived debate on this.

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think I have a pretty good understanding of what happened, thanks to all the comments here and conversation with Dave Kaval. He assured me that tifos are still allowed at the stadium, but that they must be appropriate. "On probation" is simply that -- probation.

I hope that the Ultras will be able to participate more fully in the Chivas game. If not, I hope the rest of us can try to take up the slack. None of us wants a repeat of the morgue experience.

With that, I am closing this thread, and refer you all to other threads where we can continue to discuss game day participation in a positive, productive manner.

Go Quakes!