State of the Revs

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, Tom, check your math.:cool: 22 field players on the roster -- you need 20 plus two keepers for 11 a side. Your general point is still valid, of course.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I'm more of a "words guy" than a "numbers guy," but there's always going to be a player or 2 who isn't available. Anyway, you'd think that with Burns, Heaps and Llamosa on board, between the 3 of them, they might know a few things about organizing a defense. So why is our D so much of a fire drill?

3. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm too lazy to find that article I read that addresses that, but if I recall, two reasons are the language barrier between Angoua and everyone else, and the fact we don't have an actual left back.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Kouassi speaks French (so does Remy Roy--is he still with the team).

Not to sound like one of those people, but any player coming here needs to learn at least the soccer terminology in English. (He needs to learn more just to get along in life). If Cropper is yelling instructions in Elglish, Angoua needs to understand them. They are professional players and he certainly should know what he might be saying. Also, the other defenders need to use the same terms every single time to give instructions. You can't say the same thing in a different way without the risk of confusion.

The other thing the article mentioned was that with Angoua and Delamea, one needs to be a stopper and the other a sweeper. That's something I would expect Llamosa to be able to sort out with them like, maybe the first time a mixup occourred in March...

5. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I really question is the idea that Llamosa is some sort of guru of defense.

dncm repped this.
  6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he was a good player in his day and prolly knows a few things about positioning. Of course, whenever you have a player who was good at doing things, it's not always clear how well they can explain things. More often than not, some of the best coaches are guys who were marginal-at-best players, students of the game.

But my point was that he should be able to step in in training and say to the 2 CDs. "look, this is the way you position yourselves in this situation..."

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Remi Roy is still with the team - he translated for us when Angoua swapped seats with my wife on the flight out to Portland in April. Remi is a good guy.

As for Angoua, I'm pretty sure he doesn't speak more than a few words of English. I can vouch for that because Roy had to translate pretty much everything for him. Who knows, maybe it's improved since then, though I doubt it.

As for Llamosa, I agree, you'd think a former USMNT caliber defender would be able to sort out the defense. However, I believe he's in more of a scouting capacity than purely an assistant coach (but could be wrong). That's up to Mr. Soehn and Heaps. Makes me wish Stevie Nicol would come back just to sort the defending.

TOAzer repped this.
  8. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

Then we'd need a Scottish translator. ;)

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A properly administered Glasgow kiss needs no translation, and discourages most would-be attackers.

10. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

A new defensive strategy for the backline? Someone tell Heaps! :thumbsup:

Feldspar repped this.
  11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  12. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Montreal wins last night. Climb getting harder for the Revs who stay in 10th place.

On SiriusXM Counterattack show, in interview with Hercules Gomez, both Brian Dunseth and Tony Meola said their biggest disappointment team this year in MLS was.....our Revs.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in the "playoff hunt." That's all the FO cares about.

dncm repped this.
  14. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, Your 2017 US Open Cup QUARRRTERRR FIINALLLISSTS , the Newwww Engglaaannnnndd REVOLUUUUUTIONNNNNNN!!!!"

Step right up, the Season Membership line is right this way....

dncm, TOAzer and pwykes repped this.
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly nobody should buy season tickets until April. Voice your opinions and tell them you are taking a Wait and see approach like their team does

Revs in 2010, RevFan and CynicRev repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We're planning ahead for the next (ticket buying) window..."

dncm, A Casual Fan, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  17. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------for the number one Draft Pick

firstshirt repped this.
  18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nope, already lost that one too. LAFC will have the number one pick as an expansion team.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the hunt for the Wooden Spoon (of existing teams)

TOAzer repped this.
  20. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP. I've not been to a game this year (including turning down free tix) and won't until I see real change.

CynicRev repped this.
  21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Remaining schedule:

2 times remaining of a Sat-Wed-Sat cadence. With no depth, this does not offer much hope.
    1. Sat 9/2 Home against Orlando - Orlando in freefall too, and both teams will be missing players.
    2. Sat 9/9 Home against Montreal
    3. Wed 9/13 Away to Atlanta - who will be in their new kick ass stadium that will be loaded with people even on a Wednesday. I predict Revs players to play well for Tata in hopes he will request a trade for them away from the Revs
    4. Sat 9/16 Away to Kansas City - anyone want to guess Nemeth's debut game?
    5. Sat 9/23 Home to Toronto
    6. Wed 9/27 Away to Orlando
    7. Sat 9/30 Home to Atlanta
    8. Sun 10/15 Home against NYCFC
    9. Sun 10/22 Away to Montreal

23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the teams in front of them maintain their avg points per game, the Revs are pretty much going to have to achieve >2ppg to make the playoffs (check my math I eyeballed it). So equal to or better to what Toronto has achieved so far? Against the above schedule?

24. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need another negative magazine article. The Krafts don't like being embarrassed.

25. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I think Heaps keeps his job until the end of the season, mainly because Burns is as effective as hiring a competent coach as he is with filling the roster.

You know, I was very unhappy, seeing the lack of signings in the off-season. Then, we got two signings when they predicted five. It was the first time they really revealed their incompetence. It was always suspected, but this really sealed the deal. In their interviews (particularly with Burns) they always say the words "we try." They never commit, because they don't want to be held accountable. Being held accountable, means there are consequences for failure. There are are no consequences when this team fails. There is ZERO AMBITION here. It's no wonder, in spite of players like Nguyen, Rowe, Fagundez, Agudelo, Kamara, etc. are playing less then the sum of their parts.

I've been a die hard Revs fan since 2006. Not even 2 months into this season I stopped watching games. I check the scorelines and this forum on occasion, but man, I ain't missing much, am I?

I want this team to lose. I'm upset if they win, because that's the excuse for Burns and Heaps to stay. And this team loves excuses.

a517dogg, VTSoccerFan, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.