State Department of Health Releases Findings of Study on Cancer Risk From Crumb Rubber Fields

Discussion in 'Player' started by cwimmer77, Jan 24, 2017.

1. cwimmer77

cwimmer77 Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I was skeptical of the original report that they were causing cancer, but there as this study also states, there is no definitive conclusion that they don't cause cancer. I suppose the study was only done based on looking at the population in full and comparing cancer rates with those that play goalkeeper.

Until there is a study that shows me that includes, soccer, field hockey, football and lacrosse players across the board have an increase in cancer rates, I don't think there is much there.

Also, to determine, were all these episodes from outdoor fields where they heat up to very high numbers in the summer or were they in indoor fields where temperature is steadier.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are a lot of manufactures that make these fields now. They are all not made the same way. The cheaper they are the more chance they can use something in it to make the price less.

So one study or ten studies won't give you a definitive answer.

My old stumping grown in what was my old park in once was Italian Harlem was a field called Jefferson park. On 114 street off 1 st Ave in Manhattan. It had two fields, a theather for free concerts in the park and a public swimming pool. I loved that park. When I ran away from home at 11 yrs old to get away from a nut job father. I lived their in the warmer weather.

Later they put a cheap version of field turf at that field. There was so much lead in that field they closed it completely down for years. You might find the story on giggle or is it Google :)

So studies are only good as the field your doing the study on. It's more then rubber that causes cancer. Everything causes cancer now. Food preservatives cause cancer I can go on and on.

4. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I play on a lot on 3G which has this micro rubber crumbles, don't know how they are manufactured, but my guess is they are made from old tires. The smell and consistency sugests it.
    And I do have cancer. But is it from the rubber? I believe this is a question noone would be able to answer.

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry to hear about your cancer. My neighbor had it I happened to be coming home. He felt he had to tell someone about it. He was in his 60s and had no wife and no kids.

I told him if I had it, and I knew I was going to die from it. I would go to Vegas rent a show girl and do it to her until one of us was dead. He started to laugh and I think he did that he is long gone now.

6. Coeur

Coeur Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Mine is a curable kind, with very good prognosis, so it's not as bad as it could be. But I mentioned it on the topic, because these tire crumbles just don't seem ok. Just take a smell on the pitch in a hot day. If there is even a suspicion that they are dangerous, something should be done about it. Kids are spending hours on these pitches every day.

7. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When the original field turf was invented the inventor got in touch with a soccer site I was on. The inventor was Sid Gilman's brother. Sid Gilman was the American football coach of the old AFL Sandiego chargers.

I though it was a stupid idea at first. Then he put the field down in the old Metropolitan oval. So I went down to check it out. I even played on it surprisely I thought it played pretty. So I thought I would put it in at my old field at the Veranzano sports complex. I had 250 thousand to spend on it. But the field was a lot more then that so I didn't do it.

Later they did Giant stadium with the Metrostars played there. It was still pretty good. Then the Giants cut the fake grass and it became crap for soccer.

Then Gilmans brother sold out his process to Nike. Then they used old sneakers in it, and it never played good again.

So know you know how field turf got started.