Stat I can't find anywhere: Broken Legs

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by chazsoccer, May 31, 2011.

1. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There has been a lot of chat about crime and punishment, referee culpability, and the impact (bad) on the quality of play when a star player has his leg broken.

I am trying to find a comprehensive list of all such injuries in MLS since 1996.

FC Dallas - (1999 Pollard, 2003 O'Brien, 2008 Cooper, 2011 Ferriera)

Seattle - (2011 Zunika)

RSL - (2011 Morales)

Seems like there were 3 or 4 more.

2. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Zunika ? Make it Zakuani

and thou shalt fear the Mullan :D

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think there is a "comprehensive list" out there somewhere?

4. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    I believe the stat your looking for is called a "Kovalenko," which is the Sabermetric term for "broken leg caused." It should be out there on the internet somewhere.

5. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    If you don't know how to spell someones name, it isn't hard to look it up.
    Probably a good idea to do that, especially when making the first post of a thread. How you butchered Zakuani so bad, I have no idea.

6. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have the stats but I can list one...

FCD super goal keeper Kevin Hartman's ACL was torn by a celebration ritual from Thierry Henry video link [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UiK7rzGcMA[/ame]

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Poor Zakuani, first Mullen-ed now butchered

By the way, any news on his recovery? We need him back asap

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Broken legs and plenty of them.

[​IMG]

9. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Hartman thing is a) not a broken leg and b) not really the same thing as the Ferreira/Zakuwhoozit/Morales plays.

Preston Burpo had a gruesome leg fracture in a 50/50 challenge with Dane Richards last year. No malice in it but it was ugly.

10. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mea culpa - I knew I should have looked it up :eek:

I know that Stoichkov broke the leg of a college player in a preseason friendly, and there was another incident around the same time with a preseason leg fracture rumored to have been the result of a Kovalenko tackle in practice.

Surely, there were a few other incidents in the past where a leg was broken prior to 2011 where Kovalenko was not involved.

(p.s. Gamekid2k - Hartman was injured, but his leg was, thankfully. not broken.)

11. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Ralston had a fractured tibia from a tackle by Herc Gomez a few years back, though it wasn't a horror tackle or anything. Just came to mind.

1 person likes this.
  12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Wait... what?

Hartman's ACL wasn't torn. He had an MCL injury and was back for the playoffs.

Shouldn't you know this stuff as an FC Dallas fan?

13. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks miked9 - repd

14. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Earlier this month, albeit an Open Cup match, DC United's Designated Player Branko Boskovic had his leg snapped and his ACL torn by NE Revolution's Alan Koger in the MLS signature trademark style of a slide tackle from behind.

Don't worry, they really got even with Koger. They issued him a big ole yellow card. That will for sure teach him a lesson.

15. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    "Leg snapped"?? Do you mean that he has a broken bone? Everything I have read says that his ACL is torn, not that a bone snapped.

I'm not sure what the value of this thread is, but it looks to me like it's being taken as an opportunity for some fans to whine about all the injustices served upon their team.

16. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haig - I started the thread because I wanted to find out what injuries (broken bones) had occurred over the history of MLS. I have searched for this information and could not find it. We used to have a forum just for Stats, but I don't see it now. So I posted in the News and Analysis forum in the hopes that a few folks with the knowledge or information would post for their team.

There has been a lot of talk about how physical the league is. I would like to get a set of facts together that can be used to analyze trends or generalize behaviors.

It seems to me that there have been more violent conduct injuries this year than in the league's history for the first 14 years.

17. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Both a fracture and a torn ligament.

18. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    You're right, at least partly. I see that it was a torn ACL and a hairline fracture. Hardly "snapped" in the sense that other players mentioned above suffered, with total breaks in the tibia and fibula, but certainly a significant injury.

I can think of Seth Stammler and Nansha Kolonji as Metro players who had broken legs. If we are applying the hairline fracture criteria then add Mathis, Ramos, Danny Hernandez, Manny Lagos, and Dane Richards to the list.