Starting XI Predictions for 2014 World Cup!

Discussion in 'Japan' started by JMontero, Jan 18, 2012.

1. leerooney

leerooney Member

May 8, 2014
    Hanoi
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oops, can't believe I forgot Okazaki. Because I just got excited by Kakitani's performances, Okazaki could play at Kiyotake's situation. Nürnberg's on the edge of the relegation anyway.

2. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    At this point, the logic would seem this:

GK: Kawashima, Nishikawa, Gonda
    FB: Nagatomo, Uchida, both Sakai
    CB: Morishige, Yoshida, Konno (only if he goes as back-up), Shiotani
    DM: Hasebe, Aoyama, Endo, Yamaguchi
    OM: Honda, Kagawa, Okazaki, Saito, Kakitani, Kiyotake
    CF: Osako, Toyoda

I'd have taken also Hosogai, because he deserves it. And then there's the Okubo-question: he's doing well, but I'd not drop Toyoda for him.

3. c shima

c shima Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I predict Zac will go with...

GK: Kawashima, Nishikawa, Gonda
    DF: Uchida, H. Sakai, Yoshida, Konno, Morishige, Inoha, Nagatomo, G. Sakai
    MF: Hasebe, Endo, Hosogai, Yamaguchi
    OMF: Okazaki, Kiyotake, Honda, Kagawa, Saito
    ST: Kakitani, Osako, Toyoda

I'd replace Inoha with someone else, pretty much any of the other placeholder CFs, and Toyoda with Kudo.

4. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
  5. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Higashiguchi and Nishikawa are surely the best keepers in Japan right now. Higashiguchi might be a little bit better than Nishikawa on the line but Nishikawa can do much more to help his team with the ball on his foot.

6. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    You bet. Okazaki has been, IMO, the most consistent player of the NT over the last 4 years/post-Okada period, you could never go wrong with him in the starting 11.

7. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Why should Yamashita be there instead of Shiotani, especially considering Yama has been a disaster lately?

why in the world would Hosogai start at the world cup if he never started so far usually? :eek:

8. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    To break some Ivorian arms as Tulio has teach him nope?
    [​IMG]

9. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Predictions : Not too sure about Makino, Inoha, Shiotani and Kurihara have their chances as well, Toyoda may not make it too if Zac picks another Dmf.

GK :
    Kawashima
    Nishikawa
    Gonda

CB :
    Yoshida
    Morishige
    Konno
    Makino
    Nagatomo
    Uchida
    H. Sakai
    G. Sakai

MF :
    Endo
    Yamaguchi
    Hasebe
    Hosogai
    Honda
    Kagawa
    Saito
    Kiyotake

CF :
    Okazaki
    Kakitani
    Osako
    Toyoda

Starting XI

-----------------Kawashima---------------
    --Uchida--Morishige--Yoshida--Nagatomo
    -------------Hasebe (C)-Endo-------------------
    ---Okazaki------Honda--------Kagawa--------
    -----------------Kakitani------------------------

Now, I'd have picked the following 23 : :D

GK :

Kawashima (Nishikawa)/(Gonda)

CB :
    Nakazawa (Yoshida)
    Tulio (Konno)
    Nagatomo (Y. Komano)
    Uchida (H. Sakai)

DM :
    Endo (Yamaguchi)
    Hasebe
    Honda (Takahagi)
    Kagawa (Saito)
    Okazaki (Kudo)

CF :
    Kakitani (Osako)/(Toyoda)

Starting XI :
    --Uchida--Nakazawa--Tulio--Nagatomo
    -------------Hasebe (C)-Endo--------------
    ---Okazaki------Honda-------Kagawa----

We don't really need 4 holding midfielders, 3 are more than enough, but hey, we have an Italian coach, so it's gonna be 5, the four I mentioned earlier + Takahashi or Aoyama. :rolleyes:

Why call 4 or 5 when both Honda (as a deep lying playmaker) and Konno (Dmf) could play in such positions if there are emergencies. Not gonna happen, but if Honda plays there, it would free one additional spot in midfield and a lot of interesting options, so either Kagawa/Takahagi in the center or Kudo/Saito on the wings, or both, heck, Kakitani could even play behind a real striker :

-------------Hasebe (C)-Honda-----------------
    ---Okazaki------Takahagi--------Kagawa----

-------------Hasebe (C)-Honda----------------
    ---Okazaki------Kagawa--------Saito (Kudo)--

-------------Hasebe (C)-Honda--------------
    ---Okazaki------Kakitani--------Kagawa---
    ------------------Toyoda (Osako)------------

As for Tulio and Nakazawa, I'd have integrated them back to the team much earlier, now it's too late and it would only upset the balance of the group.

10. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, can't read into the future obviously but I'm pretty convinced it's either a forward or another winger right now.

Hmm I don't really think Konno's place is at risk, but of course the friendlies in the USA will play a big part - for everyone's spot.

Genuine question: do you watch JLeague often?

11. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    He kinda faded off the radar lately in the NT, he could still start of course, but it won't come a surprise if he gets benched.
    Yep, they passed their prime, but they're much better options than the current ones and still could deliver for the NT, with this pair, Japan would be pretty much unplayable in the air. Nakazawa was having one of the best seasons of his career last year while Yoshida and Konno were being ridiculed by the likes of Jordan.

Tulio is on a declining slope in the last 2 years, but his aerial and attacking skills alone would justify his inclusion, he's quite possibly the most prolific (goals scored) CB in activity in the world, not to mention the fighting spirit and die hard attitude, why pass on that ? Zaccheroni snubbed many veteran players (Sato, Okubo, Nakamura...etc.) who're doing great in J. League, but it's not like the squad of the NT was rejuvenated either, when no injuries, it has been pretty much the same "starting 11" in the last 4 years regardless of form, not much competition.

Shiotani is an interesting player, but he won't be much of use if we don't play with a 3-man back line. Other than those, who would you call ? Mizumoto ? Chiba ? Yamashita ? Japan's defense is rubbish and that's very lightly putting it.

12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    hmm I'm not sure what do you mean. He wasn't there against NZ, he wasn't benched. And in the previous friendlies it was all scheduled subs, like H. Sakai playing, etc. He didn't miss any other matches afaik...

First of all: where were you when Japan was ridiculed by the likes of _list_ before world cup 2010? Because, if you haven't forgotten, there's a good reason as to why Okada kept changing his squad... Tulio and Nakazawa often went under heavy fire too, and for good reasons.
    Nobody denies that they did their job at the world cup. But too much emphasis is put on their performances and too little on Okada's very conservative system and the other players colletive work.

Also honestly, I guess I have to disagree with Nakazawa having one of his best seasons last year, but it's subjective I guess.
    This year, he's even worse. He's 36 years old, he's slow, and when he's against a player with a bit of standout quality he's often beaten now. (not just in ACL)
    Yoshida has been very good against players like, dunno, Aguero. He needs to work on his concentration definitely, he makes infuriating mistakes, but there's a good reason as to why he's in the premier league anyway.
    Konno may have some lacks too but hey, call me back when Nakazawa sets up a goal like he did when Japan played in France.
    If you have followed Zac's press conference, it's clear that he wants CBs that can really do stuff with their feet.
    The process of building a team around offensive oriented football takes time, but good steps have been made despite the flaws.

lol, Shiotani has scored way more (and better) goals than Tulio who so far mostly takes PKs at best...
    and even then, honestly you don't pick a CB because he scores some goals, not even counting the fact that he scores those goals in the JLeague (which is why you really shouldn't care about him "being the most prolific CB in the world" - maybe someone in south africa is scoring more but it doesn't make him a good defender)

uhm, what?? o_O
    The squad was definitely rejuvenated. It's not like he called Shinji Ono when he stopped calling Kengo. Or are Osako and Kakitani 30 years old too? wtf??
    As for the "same 11", it's not Zac's fault if Eiji-Yuto-Ucchi-Hasebe-Honda-Kagawa-Okazaki are the better options. The other ones, well, infact it's where you've seen different names Yamaguchi wasn't in the squad, Kakitani nor Osako weren't, etc.
    And yes, I do strongly blame him for like, bringing Maeda to the Conf., or not mixing enough the team against Serbia and Belarus, don't get me wrong. But let's not exaggerate.

Oh I definitely agree that there isn't much choice. The problem is that yes, I definitely think that even Mizumoto would be a step up compared to the like of Tulio, who is laughable stock at best, and Nakazawa, who is 36yr old

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  13. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Here is the 23 man lis

OneiroPhobia repped this.
  14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    well I guess we can also have fun with tomorrow's "seven reserves". Effectively, if a player is injured they might come in.
    My random not-too-thought guesses: Higashiguchi, Shiotani, Makino, Hosogai, Shibasaki, Toyoda, Kudo.

Actually maybe there's Komano or Yasuda since a "real" full back may be needed, but I dunno. and Kengo for Shibasaki

15. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Meh tomorrow rest of the 7 are only there to make us sad how some didnt make it in the end heh

Here is my prediction for the most used 11 in WC

Kawashima
    Uchida - Konno - Yoshida - Nagatomo
    Hasebe - Endo
    Okazaki - Honda - Kagawa
    Osako

As for players who could be there bar some injury.
    Morishige has a slim chance
    Yamaguchi has a chance
    Kakitani most will go with him, but I am not so sure given his recent goalscoring record.
    Okubo I think that given really good friendlies etc he has a chance.

Other then those 4 I would be extremely surprised if anyone else makes it in the starting eleven for any game bar some injuries ofcourse

16. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    A lot of these 7 men reserves (shichinin no samurai? :D) can be in the group if something like pre-Asian Cup 2011 will happen...

17. Radu Razvan

Radu Razvan Member+

Mar 1, 2013
    Bucharest, Romania
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    What happened in pre-Asian Cup 2011?

18. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    I can't remember all the names but a lot of injured players like Makino. And then again in the group/ko stage. We played with the like of Inoha/Fujimoto thanks to these injuries.

19. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well a bunch of guys bailed too. Tulio decided to chill at home in Brazil, Morimoto opted for surgery.

Nakazawa and Kurihara were hurt, and Gotoku was called up but withdrew due to injury. Makino, Matsui, Kagawa got hurt during the tournament. Komano was also injured at the time.

20. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Kawashima - H. Sakai - Morishige - Yoshida - Nagatomo - Hasebe - Yamaguchi - Okazaki - Honda - Kagawa - Kakitani

21. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I would start the game like this

Kawashima
    Uchida - Morishige - Yoshida - Nagatomo
    Hasebe - Yamaguchi
    Okazaki - Honda - Kagawa
    Kakitani

But am interested to see how Zac will set them up and how whatever formation put up there will manage the game​

22. LevyFR12

LevyFR12 New Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Club:
    Feyenoord

Exactly my thoughts, except for Uchida. I would change him for Sakai, not a big fan of Uchi

23. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    H. Sakai = When Japan plays against physical teams
    Uchida = When Japan plays against technical teams

seolseol and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  24. LevyFR12

LevyFR12 New Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    So H.Sakai against Ivory Coast and Greece since they are pretty physical. And Colombia is also quite physical, but more technical i guess.

25. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Maybe it depends not so much by the opponent team bu by the direct opponent on the side, the winger or the lmf who will play the match against him.
    Ucchi has much more experience than Hiroki too, don't forgot this.