Starting XI for WWC '07

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FawcettFan14, Jun 11, 2004.

1. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Between now and the 2007 WWC, we will most likely have the largest overhaul of players that weve ever seen for the US. Assuming all the 91er's are gone, here could be a projected starting line-up for the '07 World Cup in China. Most of these players have already played for the senior national team, and I'm sure new ones will be identifyed by then. Since I don't follow the U23/U19 teams very closely, feel free to add more young players.

parentheses = age at time of '07 World Cup--forgive me if I get a few wrong, I didn't look them up exactly.

Mullinix (29)

RB: Rampone (32)
    CB: Reddick (25)
    CB: Sobrero (31)
    LB: Slaton (27)

DM: Boxx (30)
    RM: Tarpley (24)
    LM: Bivens (29)
    AM: Wagner (26)

RF: O'Reilly (23)
    LF: Wambach (27)

Subs:
    GK-LaKeisha Beene (29)

DF-Jen Grubb (29) -once Ape is gone, maybe the next coach would give her a chance
    DF-Nandi Pryce (25)

MF-Lorrie Chalupny (23)
    MF-Leslie Osborne (24)

FW-Christie Welsh (27)
    FW-Kia McNeil (22)
    FW-Kelly Wilson (24)
    FW-Tiffeny Milbrett (34) --Assuming she returns to the Nats gets back in form, what better offensive weapon to bring on at the end of a game than Tiff?

I have a feeling I'm missing someone obvious.....oh well. I'm a little heavy on forwards, but otherwise this would be a strong team, IMO. I know it might be a little early to be thinking about this, but speculation threads are always fun. Feel free to post your own '07 line-up! :)

2. hcctim

hcctim New Member

May 15, 2004
    Des Moines, Iowa

3. hcctim

hcctim New Member

May 15, 2004
    Des Moines, Iowa
    You may want to look at the U-21 team that goes to Iceland in July. They were 2-1-1 in Brazil with a tie and a loss to the Brazilian Olympic team. They also finished 3-0 in China with wins over the Chinese U-21s and the full Chinese National team. These players will be 22-25 years old in '07. A few years ago I might have said that their relative youth at that time would be a detriment, but today these players have had so much international experience by age 22 that I think they are pretty competition -savvy and less in awe of the international experience. In that case their youth may help them. You have some of them on your roster. Others to watch would include Tash Kai at forward, The Lohmann girl at a midfield position and I think Nikki Thaden is a sleeper at midfield. You are right in that so much will change between now and then but it is fun to speculate.

4. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

I can't wait to see the new and fresh USWNT. Will the triple sword work in the senior level ?

5. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Are you referring to the 3 forward "triple sword"?

6. j&bontherock

yes, exactly, Kelly Wilson, OrReilly and Tarpley.

7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    If there are going to be three forwards, I think it helps to have a target forward up there. I would pick O'Reilly, Tarpley, and Wambach. Kind of like they played back in '99 with Mia, Milbrett, and CP.

The ability to play with three forwards depends on a couple things:

1) The effort of the forwards to help back on defense. Tarpley does that naturally, and the Wombat as well, at times.

2) The three midfielders have a big job in that they have tons of ground to cover. There needs to be a tall, physical player (like Boxx), to win balls and switch the field. And there needs to be two other middies who are willing to run all over the place. Chalupny and Bivens seem like the type to do that. Tarpley as well, if she isn't playing up front. The negative to this is that it kind of shuts Aly Wagner out of the line-up. She only really fits into a 4-4-2 as the attacking mid. Oh, well.

3) Since all three midfielders all play somewhat central, the wide backs need to get forward and provide width. In my predicted line-up, Rampone and Slaton (if she ever gets healthy), could do this very well.

It'll be interesting after the Oly's to see which formation the new coach will use.

8. j&bontherock

Wambach is good as attacking midfielder, just like when she assisted the first fifa allstar's goal i french recently.

9. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Anyone else have any thoughts or predictions?

10. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    I like it except O'Rielly. Are there any other good forwards available in the U19 and U21?

Where is Mitts? Must be in the booth or saving some other sport!

11. j&bontherock

why doesn't Ah call that Honolulu's attacker to the camp ?

12. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    Kristin Luckenbill will be the starting goalie. As the world is finding out - she is vastly better than Siri and is a winner

13. bc_rich

bc_rich New Member

May 30, 2004

She is without a doubt better than Siri. Hopefully,by then, she'll come into her own she's got a way to go before she's a starter.

14. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting Goalkeeper

You're forgetting the 'real' goalkeeper for 2007 - Jenni Branum!

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm glad you mentioned Jen Grubb. Living not too far from Notre Dame, I have watched her many times in college, and to this day I cannot understand why she hasn't been given a chance to be on the National Team even though she does have a few caps. Tony didn't giver her a chance and neither has Ape. She was great with the Freedom, she is a solid defender with a good strike on the ball. In fact she won the speed kicking contest last year during the WUSA all-star game festivities in Cary, N.C. The only thing I can think of is her lack of speed. As for Lakeisha Beene, She has been given chances by Ape, but I don't know what happened.

16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    What has she shown on the national team to be vastly superior than Mullinix? We've only seen her for garbage minutes in a few friendlies. Maybe Ape just hasn't given her enough of a chance, but if Scurry gets hurt, and Lucks is our back-up, I might be a little nervous.

As far as the keeper position for '07 goes, it's really hard to say at this point. You never know, goalkeepers can stick around for a long time if they stay in shape. Bri'll be 36 in '07, but Joy Fawcett had a great WC and she's that old. But if she isn't there, there are a handful of younger keepers waiting to be given their chance, and it'll be interesting to see who becomes the #1.

17. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I think that Nancy Augustyniak and Heather Mitts will at least be in the running for a spot if they keep working hard. I am also a fan of Serlenga and Whalen and would like to see if they could make it back under a new coach. They would both be around 30 in 2007. I think their days are probably done though. Does anyone know the status of Whalen's injury and whether or not she is still training? She was very fast and had huge potential at one time.

18. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    It seems that Mitts is not on anyones future team yet she is "one of the up and comers" as stated in many articles. If she is not to be with the team beyond this Olympics then why is the spot being wasted on her. Is she really just given the spot because of her looks as Belauh stated in her comments. If that is indeed true then it is not fair to the players competing for a spot on the roster. Why waste the effort if she really isn't the future. Belauh said that "on her very best day, she is average." What gives?

19. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Mitts has shown that she can contribute to the US team in stretches, but she hasn't been very consistent. She will have a solid, if not good game (like Brazil), then a terrible game like Japan (that goes for almost everyone though). She will probably make the Olympic team, considering all the time she's been getting recently. And it gives US soccer someone to publicize other than Mia. My question, like Beulah has stated many times, is why does she continue to start, when a superior player on every level (except looks), is on the bench. Pearce...errr, Rampone has shown every game she plays in why she should start at RB. But, April persists in "experimenting" and changing the line-up around even though there are only 3 precious frendlies left! Aaargghh...I don't understand her. Now, she is a decent defensive sub, but I don't think she's starting quality, at least right now. Once Joy and Brandi call it quits, maybe she can develop into a better defender, given time.

20. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    But not on your team according to your list. Rampone is probably the fastest on the field and always plays great, not every other time. And she is a beautiful women too.

21. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    My roster is forward heavy, and I doubt there would be 6 (or 7--including Tarp) forwards on a World Cup roster. So, I guess one of the forwards on my list would be dropped, and another defender or middie added. Mitts would definately be in the mix.

Regarding Rampone, I did say that she plays great every game. She is very consistant. I said it was Mitts who plays well every other game.

22. 6thMan

6thMan New Member

Jan 7, 2003

I got that and I agree with you. No argument here!

23. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Gotcha! :)