Starting XI for Saturday?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by upperninety, Mar 27, 2005.

1. upperninety

upperninety New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    So many differnet lineups to choose, what do you think RSL will start the season with?

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-5-2
    Countess in goal
    Dunseth Pope Pierce (Akwari will factor in here somewhere) -defense
    Kamler-Whitfield-Williams-Rojas-Selolwane(Mathis?) -mids
    Kreis-Mathis(Selolwane?) -forwards

my current guess :)

3. nunovalente

nunovalente New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Countess; Akwari, Behncke, Pope, Pierce; Kamler, Kreamalmeyer, Williams, Brown; Kreis, Mathis.

4-4-2, not that I know much I am just an MLS fan with no particular alliegance to any team. :confused:

4. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I would love to see Krispy Kreamalmeyer in the starting XI, but I am guessing:

Countess
    Dunseth Pope Pierce Behncke
    Kamler Williams Mathis Brown
    Kreis Selolwane

5. nunovalente

nunovalente New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Gansler has been creaming himself over Kreamalmayer all pre-season, hence I think he will get the nod. And what is it with Mathis in midfield? Surely he is an out-and-out forward?

6. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He plays midfield for the Nats. So why not? Although if he were to play in the midfield, I doubt he would play on the outside. So that would put he and Williams in the same spot. I don't think either would do to well outside.

7. nunovalente

nunovalente New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    That could leave the defence exposed on the counter attack though, with two attaking central midfielders as both Williams and Mathis are. Still, it would be good to see.

8. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying that they SHOULD do it. I was just responding to your question of Mathis playing in the midfield.

9. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Akwari ought to find a way on to the field. He really did well for the Crew last year, even if slightly under the radar. I feel it was a big mistake by the Crew to let him slip away.

10. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Unfortunately Gansler doesn't make the decisions about who starts for Real Salt Lake.

11. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I agree, but I'm not sure about Rojas vs. Brown?

Here's how I'd see them lineup

----------Countess------------------
    --Pierce----Pope-----Dunseth----Behncke
    -------------Kamler-----------------
    --Selolwane-----------------Rojas/Brown
    ------------Williams------------------
    ---------Mathis------Kreis------------

not sure Dunseth/Pope or Mathis/Kreis has a real left-footer among the pairing. Expect Mathis to wander around and Pope to cover for Dunseth

Akwari might get the nod at RB or in place of Dunseth. Whitfield is in the running for RM

I haven't seen the last few weeks of preseason training so this could've changed, but generally this is my guess.

12. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah I think you might be right there. I like how we have lots of guys competing for spots... that should equate to good play. Maybe Kreamalmeyer will break into the lineup during National Team time?

13. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Gansler?

14. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    THis is the frustrating thing when not being able to have seen the boys running around in the pre-season. God knows what they've been up to and what they're capable of, ya know. I hate to be arm chair gaffer based on a couple news articles. I'm not saying we shouldn't have fun doing. Just my own lil' take on things.

That said, I can't imagine a midfield with williams, mathis, and brown being nothing more than cut wide open by the opposition.

I'm not sure what Ellinger has in mind. See that the game is on the road, I'm going to assume like any coach that values his career, he's going to be more defensively minded a stick with 4-4-2, as much as a 4-4-2 can look with Williams in the midfield. :)

Countess
    Pierce Dunseth Pope Behncke
    O'Brien Williams Kamler Rojas
    Kreis Mathis

15. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Kreamalmeyer might break through but I'm not sure if national team duty opens it up. Jamaica (Williams) is eliminated from WCQ. Kamler won't be away. Selolwane (Botswana) and Rojas (T&T) may be away but I'm not sure he's a flank player. By the way Selolwane played this weekend (got a yellow). Rojas was on the bench for T&T.

prk166 - we had the same lineup except for O'Brien. He wasn't signed to the senior roster to play reserve games so he'll probably get a shot. I have no idea if he's been slowly winning a starting spot.

16. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    If the starting lineup you guys put out against the Wizards in Tulsa is any indication, I would expect Kreamalmayer to start.

He was your best man on the pitch.

17. nunovalente

nunovalente New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    You knew I meant John Ellinger and not Bob Gansler, right?! ;)

Paul Gardner in World Soccer this month has been saying that Ellinger (not Gansler) has his hands full with a load of players with tempers/egos, like Mathis, Williams, etc...

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Ellinger is used to having 40 16 year olds to coach. Mathis and Williams probably pale in comparison.

Selolwane and Rojas were not available for the Tulsa game due to international duties. Kamler's natural role for NE was LM so a lineup of

-------Williams
    Kamler------O'Brien
    ----Kreamalmeyer

could work during WCQ'ers. I'd still guess Rojas, Selolwane, and Kamler get the start opening day. It's a lineup of veterans. I'm not sure Ellinger is going to throw in a rookie opening day.

19. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kreamalmeyer seems to be more of an offensive midfielder. I'm not sure he would do well at D-Mid.

20. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From this morning's Des News:

http://deseretnews.com/dn/print/1,1442,600122071,00.html

It sounds like Williams and Kamler will be the staple of the midfield and we'll see lots of different combinations throughout the season at the other midfield spots.

21. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I was thinking that plus I think he can play some d. But as I said, I haven't been able to see much so far. :(

22. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Gracias.

Does Williams have an ego? I haven't followed him closely during all these years. I don't remember that being a problem. Maybe it is. The impression I have is that he can struggle with consistancy, that he can disappear for a game or two, be with it for a couple games (get those stats) and then fade again. Maybe that impresssion is incorrect?

23. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Andy Williams has matured quite a bit. He has been through many MLS teams. Part of that has been because of issues over the years (probably not happy when not playing, differences with coaches/teammates, etc.). I haven't heard of any problems the last year or so and he's a leader on Jamaica's national team. I think both him and Clint have matured since they played together several years ago. I don't think it's going to be a big concern. If the team loses a lot, frustration might set in. I've heard nothing but good things about Ellinger's ability to manage players.

24. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to reports, the starting lineup on Saturday will be...

-----Mathis-------Kreis-----
    ----------Williams----------
    --Rojas---------Selowane--
    ----------Kamler-----------
    Behncke-Akwari-Pope-Pierce
    ---------Countess---------

I'm not sure which side Kreis and Mathis will play, but they will both obviously start. Same goes for Pope and Akwari. Apparently Dunseth's knee is hurting but if he recovers, he could get the nod over Akwari in the middle.

The midfield for Saturday will be as above but in the future, it sounds like the following may be interchangeable:

Selowane/Whitfield
    Rojas/Kreamalmeyer

I would expect both Akwari and Dunseth to start in the middle when Pope is away for WCQ. Though Selowane will start at midfield, he is supposedly the teams 3rd forward as well.

It's good to hear that Kreamalmeyer might get some solid minutes this year with the Seniors.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/print/1,1442,600121812,00.html
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/print/1,1442,600122071,00.html
    http://deseretnews.com/dn/print/1,1442,600122352,00.html

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to completely agree with this lineup. Except for when RSL played the Crew in Tampa, Kreis and Mathis were switched, so that would be my guess for April 2.
    Akwari is playing instead of Dunseth. I wonder is Dunseth still hurt from the swelling he had in Portugal?

Are you excited yet? :)