Star Wars Episode VIII Build-Up

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dills, May 2, 2016.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have read some rumors and speculation about EpVIII, which I don't want to get into here. However, some set photos have surfaced for the next installment in the new trilogy, so might as well get the ball rolling on discussion for the next episode.

http://nerdist.com/movie-morsels-new-star-wars-episode-viii-set-photos-of-the-millennium-falcon/

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it the first EpVIII trailer will debut during the Super Bowl.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

NORML and Dills repped this.
  4. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm imagining the marketing team saying:
    "We need to make this movie seem ominous. 'THE LAST JEDI' just isn't dark enough."
    "I know! Let's make the logo red!"

I'm predicting it will turn blue for Episode IX.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  5. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The crawl leaked :D

[​IMG]

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    They are on the record as saying this will be darker than "The Force Awakens".
    I guess this is meant to be the equivalent of "The Empire Strikes Back" within the new trilogy.

7. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved The Force Awakens even though it was something of a beat-for-beat remake of A New Hope. But if Episode VIII does the same thing with Empire, I will be crushed.

That said, I really don't think they're going to. TFA was about getting the foot in the door, and they gambled that familiarity was the best way to do that, and I think they were proven right. Now, everyone just wants to know what happens next with Rey, Finn, and Poe. I've read that Rian Johnson felt free to take the story where he wanted to.

I assume that indeed the movie will be darker than TFA but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to ape Empire.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I meant it more as in sharing a darker tone with "The Empire Strikes Back", not necessarily matching all the major story beats the way "The Force Awakens" did with "A New Hope".

Though there is already the fact that Rey finding Luke on that desolate planet is quite similar to Luke's trip to Dagobah in "The Empire Strikes Back".

9. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    823579689948155904 is not a valid tweet id

song219, profiled, Dante and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So since The Last Jedi apparently takes place a few seconds after The Force Awakens left off, this thought about the crawl has crossed my mind repeatedly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQbtWA1hCA5/

sitruc and Belgian guy repped this.
  11. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Semblance17 repped this.
  12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI ... the "Jedi" in the title is plural.

13. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-says-hes-not-in-the-last-jedi

I'm not buying the excuse that the writers of The Last Jedi just couldn't find a way to include Lando's character without Forcing it. If they decided that the only way to fit him into the script would have been to shoehorn in an out-of-place glorified cameo, then I'm not optimistic that they're much more creative than the writers of The Force Awakens.

It will make far less sense for a high-profile former Rebellion general and politician to be conspicuously absent [without so much as a mention, I'm sure] when his best friend is murdered and the New Republic is on the verge of collapse. This snub of his character seems more ridiculous than even an poorly executed re-introduction might have been.

What's most frustrating is that Williams has always seemed thrilled with the idea of returning to the role, unlike Denis Lawson, who I've read was approached to reprise Wedge Antilles in The Force Awakens. Even Admiral Ackbar and Nien Nunb, co-pilot of the Falcon at the Battle of Endor, returned for the last movie. But Lando? "Never heard of him." Very disappointing.

14. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #14 Gamecock14, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  15. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 NORML, Apr 14, 2017
    disagree it being meh. I think it lays out a bunch of questions regarding Luke, Jedi/Sith, and possibly at something beyond that balance.

edit to add: thinking some more the word cynicism comes to mind. Maybe the focus this movie isn't gonna be on good vs bad but cynicism.

16. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's technically the "teaser" and not an official trailer, so it can change.

Part of me feels they may be rehashing the same plot elements from the original trilogy into this one.

Dante repped this.
  17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, I was underwhelmed by the teaser. After Rogue One, ep VII and VIII seem more juvenile to an extent.

Belgian guy and Gamecock14 repped this.
  18. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm. What plot elements do you mean? Not saying you are wrong just that I took everything Luke said to tease at how the story goes beyond what has been covered in the past movies.

19. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I felt that the 7th movie had similar thematic elements to the 4th.

From the teaser it seems we have a person going to be trained by the master jedi. Then we have what appears to be the "rebel base" being destroyed which seems similar to Hoth getting taken over by the empire. Plus, it feels like the "dark side" will get a victory in the movie.

Hopefully it is completely different. I just am seeing the similarities. Then again, maybe I am looking for them because of my own narrative.

NORML repped this.
  20. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now I see what you are saying, thanks.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the 'It's time for the Jedi to end' quote came from Skywalker. They laid it out to look like it was coming from him, but if you listen to the voice, it sounds a lot more like Benicio Del Toro's voice. I think Disney was just trying to create a speculation moment that doesn't exist.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  22. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Semblance17, Apr 14, 2017
    I've listened to the quote a couple of times and I'm 90% sure that voice belongs to Hamill. What's more likely is that the trailer leaves out words from within the line, around the line, and/or the overall conversational context which completely changes its meaning. Kind of like the sound bytes from politicians that make the rounds on television during election season. Note the placement of the pause between "Jedi" and "to end", for instance.

"It's time for the Jedi to end." doesn't even make any sense grammatically; it makes the Jedi sound like a time period rather than a group of individuals.

After all of the anticipation this trailer was fairly disappointing. Luke teaching Rey about the Force. People running and waving lightsabers around. Explosions and fires. TIE Fighters and X-Wings and the Falcon dogfighting. Rebel/Resistance speeders flying toward Imperial/First Order walkers across a barren wasteland (familiar, no?). Why not show us something original, new, different, unexpected? I thought that was the point of a trailer, particularly a teaser. Instead they simply continue to pump up the mystery for its own sake. Far from getting me excited, that's starting to annoy me [just a little].

23. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming it's Hamil's voice, my guess on the 'ending Jedi' quote is that particular scene is in the beginning of the movie when Rey just arrives to meet Skywalker. He's depressed and he thinks the Jedi order simply ran it's course and is obsolete. Rey will eventually convince him to train her, and he regains his hope in the force, etc. etc.

Mr. Bandwagon, chad and Semblance17 repped this.
  24. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all are sourpusses! I thought it was a great teaser-- you can see some new ships, a new planet, and some very intriguing hints at story beats. And I respectfully disagree that it looks to be repeating plot elements from Empire Strikes Back. I think we are reading that into what we see.

As for "It's time for the Jedi to end" - I say, good! The Jedi is a failure as a concept.

To quote the prequels, "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." Well, the Jedi as a category of people live very absolutist lives. Not allowed to love; must be monkish. It's unrealistic. My prediction (shared by many others) is that Rey represents the dawning of a new age, in which the light and dark sides of the Force are reconciled by achieving balance within one individual-- rather than the system of Jedi vs. Sith that just leads to war and disappointment.

Seriously-- it would be such an amazing place for this series to go-- to completely upend its own mythology. I would love it.

NORML repped this.
  25. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a glorified rebranding initiative to me.