Star Wars: Battlefront

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Dills, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did pay retail for it. More accurately, I preordered the deluxe edition ($70) and so far have no buyer's remorse. Jumped into blast (team deathmatch) games last night and, after 3 matches, had racked up a nice KDR of 1.30 ... disclaimer, I'm by no means an MLG-type FPS player, so I'm proud of that number. More importantly, the game is just downright goddam FUN.

My gaming time has become more and more limited, and this scratches that twitch-itch where I can get the most out of my 60-ish minutes.

Looking forward to jumping into Jakku next Tuesday.

General Disarray and ttrevett repped this.
  2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taib repped this.
  4. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is supposedly doing a review of the game. I think it is will get something like 5/10.

This is TotalBiscuit's impressions. Basically says the same stuff I have said. Skip to 38.40 for the conclusion.

40.13 "It is to me, a brainless, repetitive and sub-par shooter."

5. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That was pretty funny... And thats why im not going to get the game anytime soon... if at all.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, WTF is TotalBiscuit?

I like his follow up to his video...

Addressing a few inaccuracies in my commentary.
    1) When I state that fighters can't slow down to attack ground attacks effectively what I should have said was, can't slow down ENOUGH. You can of course change your speed in a fighter.
    2) When I state that the other maps are repurposed versions of the 4 Walker Assault maps, that is misleading. They use the same tileset, assets and some areas are the same. They are not literally carbon copies of each other. Walker Assault however does only have 4 maps and its my genuine belief that this is the only really worthwhile game-mode.
    3) When I stated that singleplayer would not help your progression, I should have been clear by saying that it would not give you experience, which is true. You can earn credits in the singleplayer, just as you can in the companion app, but you cannot progress your level, which is what I consider to be "progression".
    4) It is worth noting that while I started with the DL-44 which is arguably the best gun in the game, this is a digital deluxe edition bonus and actually requires a fairly high rank to unlock otherwise. It slipped my mind to mention this, as I'd forgotten that I bought the digital deluxe edition in the first place.

7. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A Youtuber with over 2 million subscribers.

None of those four reasons change the fact the game still sucks or change his main criticisms of the game.

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your point? That a guy named AngryJoeShow would have negative opinions of a game? The seems to be his shtick.

Sure, there are poor reviews of the game, and there are also favorable ones.

Dante repped this.
  9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I supposed to be impressed that he's on YouTube and has 2 million subscribers? My kid watches Minecraft videos with guys who blow that number out of the water. Christ, there are far too many people that have more than 2 million subscribers. YouTube and other social media sites have been the downfall of real journalism for years now. Anyone with a $20 camera and a couple programs can make a video and make themselves look good, or like an idiot.

It's been made abundantly clear that you don't like this game, and think that people who do are idiots. Maybe it's just time to move on.

Dills repped this.
  10. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL. He is one of the most respected Youtubers out there hence why he gets invited to developers conferences and to developer houses. Did you even watch the video? Why do not you argue what he said about the game instead of the merits of Youtube?

Instead of posting quite frankly puerile, inane nonsense why do not you post something about the game? The only thing you have said about the game throughout the entire thread is that the graphics are great. That is it. The rest of what you have written is nonsense, whether it is your childish crusade about being an idiot, whether you enjoy the game, and ad hominem prattle. Talk about the game Dante, in a constructive way.

Watch the video. Then write your reply about the points the video makes. If there is something you disagree with, then write it in your post with a reason(s) why you disagree with it. The concept is not difficult.

11. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Angry Joe gives good reviews of games that he believes are good. You would know if you watch his other reviews of games. My point is to show a review from the person who was saying that the reviews were mostly good. Most magazines give high reviews on just about every major game because they have relationships with the big gaming companies and won't give terrible reviews no matter how shitty the game is.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I don't really care about what YouTubers have to say, because anybody can do it. If they're legit journalists that do it on the side then I would have more respect for them. But some guy sitting in his moms basement making videos, BFD. It's a sad statement on the gaming industry as a whole when you have people like this TotalBiscuit guy and others like PewDiePie being as influential as they are when actual journalists are being shunned as being corporate shills. Because we all know that so many of these YouTube personalities haven't been influenced by gaming companies and others, right. You admit this guy is invited to gaming conferences and more simply because he rants on YouTube, you don't think that influences him?? lol

I have zero desire to watch his video, zero. Why? Because I don't care what he has to say about the game. I'm just a childish moron and an idiot (your words here, YOU'RE the one who said that) who bought a game and enjoy playing it with my friends.

Also puerile and inane nonsense? You mean like the way you act in this forum when there are games you don't like, or hell even systems. I remember you berating me for choosing the Xbox One back in the day and then mocking me about hating Playstation and being foolish for buying a system for one game. Thankfully I haven't regretted my PS4 purchase, I've been enjoying it immensely.

The fact is that for some reason you can't just let people enjoy something that you don't. You seem to go out of your way to demean them for liking something. You enjoy berating people, over a game. That's actually sad.

Dills repped this.
  13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is, I can't get past the persona he puts on and, by extension, can't take him or his opinions seriously. Christ, there's 30+ minutes of him ranting about this game in those 2 videos alone. How can he go on that long about something he doesn't like?
    Was I saying the reviews were mostly good?
    That's some tin-foil hat stuff right there.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How about if u like the game play it, if u don't, don't play it or buy it?

Dills and General Disarray repped this.
  15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #90 Dills, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  16. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nobody cares if you think it is a sad state of affairs. That is irrelvent. None of what you written discredits what he said. For the second time why do not you argue the points made about the game rather then the merits of Youtube? This thread is about Star Wars Battlefront and that video is about Star Wars Battlefront. Either put up or shut up.

Yes, puerile and inane nonsense. Like I said the only thing you have said about the game is that the graphics are great, which everyone agrees with anyway so nothing insightful there. If the game was so great why do not you tell us more? Maybe everyone is missing something? Or are you going to continue with your ad hominem attacks? Write something about the game and argue points made about the game. Simple.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm done with you, you simply don't get the fact that I don't care about their reviews, I don't care if it gets all 7's, I simply don't care. I don't care about some guy sitting on YouTube and ranting about a game. Why you don't understand this I don't know. I'm not going to argue against something I don't care about. It's a waste of my time. You can't get off the fact that I don't care.

Maybe you've ignored that I've repeatedly said I enjoy playing it with my friends. I don't need to give a full run down as to why. Do I have issues? Sure, but I have issues with nearly every game. I have yet to play the perfect game. Ad hominem attacks? That's just the pot calling the kettle black right there.

Dills repped this.
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and the rest of humanity.

19. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL!!! So, you do not acknowledge any critique of the game which is fine in itself but if others do acknowledge critique that somehow offends you? It is not just Youtube is it? Reviews from web-sites have been less than stellar and user reviews from people who bought the game have been negative. Looks crystal clear the game is bad across the board. If you do not care about it then that is on you. That does not mean others have not to care about it either and they have the right to openly discourse that. If you do not like that then that is on you. Like I said to Dills, just ignore the posts. Do not acknowledge them. Why you feel the need to open conversation with me if that is your feelings about the matter is quite frankly dumb. Make a Star Wars positivity thread so you and Dills can talk postive stuff about the game in a quite frankly delusional way. The rest of us can stay in here and talk openly and honestly about the game encompassing all its aspects whether good or bad.

No one cares if you enjoy the game with your friends. I enjoy playing checkers with my wife. That does not mean everyone else will. It is not quantifiable to others because it is your personal experience which is quite obvious. It is not based on fact. The only thing you have said that is relatable is that the graphics are great. I agree and everyone agrees that the graphaics are great. That is it. Tell us about the great sound design? The theme of the game is authentic? These are quantifiable reasons which help you enjoy the game playing with your frends. It is not really that hard is it? I did it for you.

Sal repped this.
  20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DONE

21. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He gives shout-outs to LimpBiscuit and UnhappyJoe, but (in my opinion) this is one of the most honest, down-to-earth reviews of the game. Talks about the pros and cons of the game, as it currently stands, as well as improvements that could be made to it going forward. Seems his biggest gripe is the game's release-contents and pricetag versus the added cost of the season pass.

At the end of the day, my takeaways from this video are ... reviews would average out to something akin to "lukewarm", it appeals more to the casual (less hardcore) gamer, and it's fun. Full stop.

22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the reviews have made me not want to pay the $120 (game plus season pass) at this point. It'll come down in price over the next year and I'll pick it up for $19.99 next Christmas.

SpencerNY and Taib repped this.
  23. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    No comments for the past 2 weeks on this game. Yeah, gonna wait for the bargain bin on this one.

24. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have a feeling it is going to be sooner rather than later based on the reviews. I might not even want to spend $20 on it. Depends on how psyched my sons are about the movie.

25. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my biggest worry about the game is there are so much negative feedback and with it being online only. I can see that this time next year not many people playing it...