Star Trek: Picard [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dante, May 23, 2019.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's debuting this year on CBS All Access...

They released a teaser today as well as a poster. Not going to lie, I'm actually interested in this and have optimism, unlike Discovery.

[​IMG]

2. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we assume that the rescue armada has something to do with the destruction of Romulus? Are the events in the reboot considered canon?

TNG is my favorite series, by far, so I'm with you. I'm looking forward to this. I'd watch.

If it wasn't on CBS All-Access.

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chills aye.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd imagine that whatever part that occurred in 2009's Star Trek prior to Spock Prime crossing over into the Kelvin timeline (including the destruction of Romulus and Remus) is considered canon, as are the events in the four-part comic book series Star Trek: Countdown that led into the movie.

As for the trailer: why does Jean-Luc Picard look so sad? :(

-G

6. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the voiceover my guess is some disaster happened with the rescue effort, maybe sabotage from within, and it made him disillusioned. Perhaps Section 31 took the opportunity to give the Romulan Empire a fatal blow, costing a lot of lives.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    God, no.

Show us something new, please. But rehashing a character after what, 25 years, boy that's a recipe for failure. I love Stewart's Picard. Love him, love him, love him. But this is gonna suck.

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #9 White/Blue_since1860, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019

Ive been saying for 15 years go to hell with your prequels, I want sequels. A Star Trek post Voyager coming home. pls don't ******** this up

Goodsport repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Seven of Nine! :)

I like how she sounded more human than at the end of Voyager, I'm guessing to indicate her further growth in the intervening years.

Goodsport repped this.
  12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Im hoping they will incorporate the 20 years of "to this day non-canon Star Trek literature" and by that I mean the books Titan, Prometheus and everything that happened in between there. Anyone who read those books knows already where we are at 20 years after NG and 15 years after Voyager coming home.

spejic repped this.
  14. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would mean they'd have to pay all those writers every time they referenced it in the show (same reason Robert Duncan McNeil was Tom Paris in Voyager, even though he played basically the same character in TNG).

Riker being the captain of the USS Titan was mentioned in Nemesis, so that's canon, but I'd be very surprised if the books are used at all.

Hugh is a surprise. I wonder how much he'll be used.

White/Blue_since1860 and Ismitje repped this.
  15. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The time frame we are talking about is where Riker is admiral already. The 2380-90s.

I'll kill myself if they dont use slipstream technology as in

[​IMG]

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm a big fan of the post-Nemesis Star Trek novels, but I really, really didn't like the first Prometheus novel. It was just horribly written. I couldn't finish it.

17. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Books 2 and 3 are much better but yes.... you could tell the author usually writes about other sci fi franchises. But as an audiobook, the whole trilogy was pretty good

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Goodsport, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    The series premiere is on Thursday, January 23rd.

-G

ctsoccer13 repped this.
  19. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can't wait!

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Series premiere today. :cool:

-G

ctsoccer13 repped this.
  22. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The first episode is temporarily free on YouTube, so I saw it. Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner were brilliant, but I can't say the same for anything else in the show. It feels like Picard woke up in an episode of Alias and doesn't know what's going on.

I get why there needs to be a season-long mystery - CBS needs a hook for a streaming service that has very few of them at the moment. But it really hurts the show. This was very unsatisfying as an episode because nothing is resolved. It's unsatisfying as a mystery because I don't care what happens to a Donald Trump Starfleet that is nothing I am familiar with, Romulan remnants that are nothing I am familiar with, or these new entities which were barely explained and didn't form any connection.

I accept a super unarmed fighter winning against armed opponents in a comic book movie, but it's just ridiculous in a Star Trek show. Transporters, force fields, restraining fields, auto-aiming, and wide angle stuns are all cannon. She shouldn't stand a chance. And not only would it not have hurt the plot to have used one of those, it might have actually worked better because there would be no need to introduce that new character they have at the end (trying to be very vague here to avoid spoilers).

Dr. Wankler and Belgian guy repped this.
  24. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the freebie, I can't help feeling the same way after I saw the free Discovery episode when it first came out, along with the new movies... This seems like Star Trek that's made for non-Star Trek fans. The only thing that's Star Trek is the setting. Everything else that made Star Trek what it is is gone. This first episode of Picard reminds me more of Altered Carbon than Star Trek.

All of the optimism is gone. I get it; TV changes with the times. But the original Star Trek managed to be optimistic in the height of the Cold War and Vietnam. We can't be optimistic now?

Dr. Wankler, Belgian guy and spejic repped this.
  25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think part of the problem is that the show is now being made by people who either don't fully appreciate the original show(s) or they do appreciate them but they have somehow convinced themselves that what was appealing about the prior shows will somehow not be enough to entice a 2020 audience. So you get this neither here nor there approach that definitely feels like "Trek in Name only" at times.

This isn't just limited to just Trek, I see this with most reboots of classic shows. The New MacGyver is afraid of fully committing to the "Guns are always bad" belief of the original show. The new Magnum is convinced that we need action set pieces and would not be content with the detective & blue skies appeal of the original (also its stance towards Vietnam was very different than how the new writers treat the wars the new Rick, TC and Magnum fought in). Something else is missing too. QT called "Rio Bravo" the greatest hang-out movie ever. Whilst there are a few flurries of action, most of that movie is just John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Walter Brennan waiting for an inevitable attack. Spending their time talking, arguing, singing, exercising their personal demons. There was something of that too in the original Magnum. I wouldn't say that it is completely missing from the new version but it's far less present.

Dr. Wankler and spejic repped this.