Stanford University 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by cachundo, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Boss is graduating but has eligibility left. Think she might hang and Get a leg up on a grad degree

2. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    Not sure how that works....you have Andi, Kyra, Mariah and Alison all in the senior day photo's- getting flowers/walking on field w/parents/etc.
    Besides Andi- a true senior- the other 3 are redshirt juniors...
    Do they do senior day photo's/etc if it's not their last year?
    Jaye was in a few photos-- but did not participate in senior day...that's why I think/hope she could be coming back...

So happy for these girls, a much deserved championship win!!!! Congrats Stanford!!!

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It’s all on the kids. My daughters team has a rs junior who decided to go through senior day because she has a job set up already. Another actually graduated In 3 years and because of a rs year got most of her grad school paid for

Druid Squirrel and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  4. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Congrats to Stanford. What a team!

5. CO18

CO18 Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Not that TDS is the most reliable source but they have 9 incoming commits listed for next season.

That's a pretty crazy amount to only be losing 1 player if true.

6. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Wonder if this was one of the best teams in college soccer ever?

StrikerMom, RPVCard and UNCway repped this.
  7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    They had an extremely impressive year. No doubt about that. Congratulations to Stanford..I would not know how to compare teams across years and eras. If anyone can take a statistical stab at it, I’d guess cpthomas on these forums would be a great place to start. I’d suggest taking a look at 2003 UNC as a comparator. They completely demolished tournament competition, including in the final. Regardless of how that comparison goes, it’s a big compliment to Stanford that I have to go back that far for a suggestion. Hats off to Stanford 2017..phenomenal season.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but I've always felt that one can't compare teams across the years. The game has advanced, so a great team today is not the same as a great team yesterday.

But, if you want a championship game comparison, remember the talk about UCLA having played to PKs in this year's semi-finals and possibly being fatigued for the championship game? Go back to 2005. Portland played Penn State in the semis and won on PKs. UCLA beat Florida State in the semis 4-0. Portland won the championship 4-0.

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Stanford is to be congratulated.
    Fairly young team, as is UCLA.
    Going to be hard to overtake those two, but
    that's why they play the games!

10. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Just had a chance to watch the game. Very, very impressed with Stanford players and their coaching staff!

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yes, Indeed, "pretty crazy"! I must admit to being incapable of figuring out how they do that with regard to scholarship money. Truly Stanford has been the recruiting juggernaut for the past decade and shows no sign of faltering.

It is clear that they will have the #1 class again next fall by a pretty substantial margin.. That would give them 6 straight #1 classes going back to 2013. They were #1 in 2009, but fell off a bit in 2010 - 2012 by only averaging #5 for those three years. They obviously have solved that little problem since that time. Anson has said (and others have hinted) it is REALLY hard to compete with Stanford for the top players. They have private school money in spades, a great academic reputation, great location, great weather, beautiful campus, great prestige, and consequently their athletic teams are basically all competing at a very high level and even for for national championships. (Swimming, volleyball, men's soccer, etc.) What's not to like?

UCLA has become the next in line for recruiting women soccer players with some great classes recently, followed by Penn Sate, then Duke and UNC along with USC and some other ACC schools (UVA, FSU, Notre Dame) then TAMU, West Virginia, and then down into the SEC and Big 10. But the there is no question that Stanford and UCLA are the big recruiting dogs at this time. It certainly was no surprise that they ended up playing for the national championship.

It is a good time to be a WoSo fan in California. Enjoy!

socalsoccer23 and RPVCard repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I can't help asking, from an outsider perspective (I don't live in USA and I don't really now the ins and outs of the situation): if there is a so solid youth women's football's structure, then why does it look like it's never a good time to have an NWSL team in California? o_O

13. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017
    I agree Blissett!!!!
    I kept hearing rumors eventually LA will get a NWSL team in the next year or two....
    Keeping my fingers crossed!!

14. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC