Stand Your Ground: George Zimmerman Charged

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by CHICO13, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: Stand Your Ground

Coon is enough to make this son of a bitch get raped in the shower by some big ass muther********. That little four letter word could have sealed his fate.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tough shit. Having your back chewed up by assholes with boats is pretty ********ing annoying, too.

I'd rather hang out with manatees than most people i know.

3. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There used to be a restaurant in Portland called Coon Chicken Inn. The doorway was a giant blackface.

Now it's a steakhouse called Clyde's that looks like a seedy bar on the outside and a seedy bordello on the inside. We went there to celebrate the inauguration in 2009. I used to love it but the last time we went the food really sucked, and that made me sad.

Huh, apparently it was a regional chain - Portland, Seattle & Salt Lake City. I did not know that until I looked at the Wiki.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

I heard it got 3 out of 4 burning crosses in its day by Adolf Zagat

3 people repped this.
  5. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

do you walk really slowly when you're say hiking or something so as not to step on an insect? if the manatee is in danger of extinction (which I believe it may be), then I understand the need for protection. but if we're just more concerned about the manatee than we are about the insects we trample on is that the manatee is this semi-cute, docile, lovable creature, whereas insects are not, then it's just hypocrisy.
    I was just talking to a couple of guys in the office who were trying to get their wives into hunting. shooting targets and "ugly" animals, they have no issues with, but deer, that's a different story. but anyway - didn't mean to get us off topic.
    yeah, I agree manatee need to be protected if they are endangered. my point was, it's awfully annoying to stuff you have to put up with to protect these dumb animals who aren't smart enough to protect themselves :D

6. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wait, you live in Florida and you don't know if the manatee is in danger of going extinct? Seriously? How long have you lived there?

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

I'd give manatees weapons and let them go at it with the irresponsible boaters of Florida. On second thought, that would require some kind of teaching of evolution so forget it...

8. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lived. 2002-2009. I know at one point it was on the endangered species list, but there was talk about removing it, as it had recovered sufficiently.

9. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine

This is the first post I read in the thread so apologies in advance if this has been addressed already.

Isn't the situation problematic in that it seems to shift the burden of proof of self-defence from the killer to the person killed? Such a situation might even be an incentive to use deadly force instead of non-lethal force, to ensure that only one version of events remains.

Surely the correct thing to do would be to arrest on prima facie grounds of unlawful killing, and let the defendant adduce a defence of self-defence in due course?

I think the anger from the family is that the guy hasn't even been arrested. I'm not sure how it works in the states, but over here you don't need evidence to arrest someone - just reasonable grounds for believing arrest is necessary are required.
    http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/public...l-policing/pace-codes/pace-code-g?view=Binary

10. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. They're still on the endangered list.
    2. Even if they are eventually removed from the endangered list, the Marine Mammal Protection Act of 1972 and Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act of 1978 still apply.
    3. Why in the world would we allow the exact behavior that led to their dangerous drop in population just because they get pulled from the list? They'd be right back on it in short order. Bit short sighted, no?

11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well they are rather adaptive as they have taken to wintering in bodies of water that have cooling water outflow from power plants. The warmer water released from those plants make them happy.

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Walking on a trail and riding a motorized vessel are 1,000,000,000% equivalent.
    In his defense, he also didn't think you needed a script for birth control pills. Knowing things isn't his strong suit.

13. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Yeah, that's the scary thing - there's no incentive to avoid violence.
    Same in the US, but I don't think they would want to arrest someone knowing the chance of conviction is low. Also, the dead kid was black.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes. Blaze No Trails / Leave No Trace.

Part of the goal of protecting the lovable animals and protecting their habitats is that, that in turn protects the habitat for the less than "sexy" animals.

We have the same types of laws for people.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How did we go from:

[​IMG]

to:

[​IMG]

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

evolution?

17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Related experience: I was in my late teens when I first saw a real reindeer. I kew immediately why almost every Christmas image involving "reindeer" used whitetails instead.

I bet your office mates' wives would have had no issues shooting a real reindeer. when you think about it, they look a lot more more like caribou.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Because both black teens and manatees are on the endangered list in Florida.

2 people repped this.
  20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

but apparently under state laws, only one can be legally hunted :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  21. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes, because I'm sure the ant really gives a $hit that you killed his cousin by stepping on him, versus trampling him with the wheels of an ATV.

and that last one - just a cheap shot that you deserved to be neg rep-ed for. but whatever. I have thick enough skin to deal with your little cheap shot.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

In two more steps we can be at Kevin Bacon.

23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Again, one gazillion percent relevant to whining about not being able to boat******** a manatee.
    So thick skinned that you made a point of whining about how it deserved a neg rep and waaaaaaaaaaaaaah but you lacked the intestinal fortitude to pull the trigger on the rep button. I get you.

Also, it's true. Your knowing abilities aren't exactly world class.

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, but not when you weigh the annoyance suffered by boaters forced to slow down. Screw those stupid manatees, anyway. If they can't get out of the way, ******** 'em!

25. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Touché! :p