Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a break from Nov. 9th to 22nd, so all the teams can accommodate international call ups.

He's still more likely to be called up for January camp than November. The US still has an advantage because of the need for a one-time switch. It's hard to time everything right if you have to go through that process.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These two statements contradict each other.

Scotty and Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simmer down.

He was important for our U23s, that's likely why he hasn't been called. Is the US ring of coaches high on him?

“He has, of course, his physical play – his size, his power, and for his power he's very mobile,” Herzog said during a conference call with reporters earlier on Wednesday. “That's what I like. And he's very good with his feet, so I think he's one of the most talented center backs in the US and hopefully he will have participation in the future in the men's national team in a couple of months. Not in years, but hopefully in the next couple of months.”

That was Oct 1st. So obviously he's in the NT plans. Maybe Nov or it'll be Jan at the latest.

4. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SABOTAGE!!!

mike4066 and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  5. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    What if we don't call him for this WCQ, call him in Jan (not cap-tied), and Poland offers him a spot at Euro2016? Or Poland could offer him a Euro spot before we call him in Jan. To be clear I personally don't think these scenarios are above 50% likelihood; however, they are certainly plausible.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Fair point. Its slightly different from Subotic, the main similarities that both players spent their real soccer development years in the USA, with Miazga being slightly different having been born in the USA as well, and lived here his whole life, Subotic moved here as a kid. They both also progressed through USA youth teams. They are pretty similar cases, and I think we can still say he'd be Subotic 2.0 if he played for Poland.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Did you not read the article? Your solution is to keep calling him up to the U-23's and let Poland offer him a Senior National Team call up?

We haven't even discussed whether he deserves to be within our best 23, on merit. I'd argue that he does, and I think a lot of others would agree with me, so this is different than the Julian Green situation.

8. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Miazga has looked great defensively. In possession, his role is "dump 5 feet to Dax." Red Bulls tend to have trouble with faster, more in your face teams like Columbus and Dallas. I'd be surprised if Miazga has possession skills to make it in top league.

9. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    To be fair he said he'd been getting U-23 calls before and that the NT should call him in Nov or Jan. I don't see where he said that we should keep giving him U-23 calls and no USMNT call-ups.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #86 bshredder, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Miazga knows US Soccer rates him. Has he been inactive in any international window this year?

Would he accept a cap-tying call-up in November to the USMNT but also bolt the program as soon as possible in the months afterward if he's not part of the World Cup qualifying roster ( and is instead part of the U-23s)? I have a tough time believing the answer to both the questions above is yes.

If he actually turns down a US call-up because he needs to think things through, then yeah there is a chance he leaves the program. But so what? Then it was something he never wanted to really do in the first place. It wasn't like the US program didn't rate him and forced him elsewhere.

But in the end, I think US fans worry wayyy too much about this stuff about cap-tying players. I am completely convinced that a player's heart needs to be 100% invested emotionally in his national team or else he's going to underperform at the international level.

11. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri repped this.
  12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Subotic spent five years with a German youth team before moving to the USA. I imagine that experience played a significant part in his development.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    From age 6-11? It probably helps, but I think 11-18 (spent in the USA) is much more important.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get sucked in to the hoopla of Chelsea having interest. Miazga would get loaned and bounce around from team to team. It's their philosophy now. They have a whopping 30+ players out on loan this season. Ridiculous if you ask me. Only a handful of these players actually have a shot at the 1st team. That's not a dig against their talents. They are all talented in their own right. It's just feels like Chelsea has bought these players so competitors would not and they have no intention of many of these guys ever seeing the 1st team at Chelsea.

hokeydokey repped this.
  15. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    what? the hell?

17. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah dude. The vast majority of Miazga's passes are swinging it around the back 4, dump offs to Dax, or occasional well placed long range passes. When the defense gets pressured they have problems.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Do you think his possession skills are worse than Bocanegra's, for example?

19. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Miazga could very well succeed at a bottom-feeder EPL club, so I retract my statement. He just has trouble getting his feet sorted sometimes and that makes me worry when he needs to be clean on the ball in high-pressure situations. Red Bulls system prevents him from seeing too much pressure, which Dax McCarty said specifically when interviewed about Miazga.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  20. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Bocanegra had a lot of incredible attributes beyond his mediocre technical game.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question - what other passes does a CB have to make except passing around the back 4, short passes to the CM, or occasional well-placed long balls?

superdave and (TxT) repped this.
  22. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You don't want your centerback playing tight, one-touch passes in the attacking third? Psht, you neanderthal.

23. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Lol. You can't be serious. CBs in real leagues playing without a dominant MF in front of them face pressure like Miazga rarely faces. One reason he struggled last year besides being young is that he can't get his feet sorted when he is facing pressure and tends to mishit balls. When he faces multiple, pressing Fabian Castillos at the same time in top leagues he will have problems.

24. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Playing out of the back requires many types of medium range passes from CBs. Miazga doesn't do these.