Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ream isn't bad at all, I was surprised how much better he's gotten in the past couple years but I want to go 3 back like many here do as well and Miazga-Brooks and almost any of the other 3-4 guys would work great. Parker may be in that discussion with Ream, CCV and ?? The Championship league has really grown Ream up.

2. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I was talking about Miazga and Ream at Fulham, as I quoted in my initial post. Could be an interesting partnership for a team just promoted to the BPL. Ream being older, more experienced, and with good feet; Miazga younger, more long term potential, with desired size and able to pass at feet. I try to keep my comments on YA limited largely to the clubs rather than national sides.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad.

4. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pshaw, no worries; I just wanted to clarify the intent of my initial post before the mods come in :)

laxcoach repped this.
  5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Kidding, kidding. :)

Eighteen Alpha and mattjo repped this.
  6. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Good point. And I haven't seen him one time for Fulham, but in his time with the US while playing for Fulham he was still soft.
    What qualifier was there a late game throw in or cross and Tim Ream missed the header by getting bullied for space and they scored to beat us or late tie. That's him in a nutshell for me.

7. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Miazga may get a fair shake to make the squad in the pre-season. Let's remember that guys coming off World Cups due tend to get little injuries at the beginning of the season. They will need depth.

8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anderson11, Gacm32, AngelaMerkin and 7 others repped this.
  9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Who are thes PL/BL suitors?

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    There are a number of [clubs] in the Niagara Falls area.

11. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Must be where you came from

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Lol - it was a reference to an 80s movie which only those of that generation would get. Sorry to jump in

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Pl@ymaker, FirstStar, gunnerfan7 and 4 others repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He may get a game or two as a sub if Chelsea wants to showcase him for a better loan. That's about the extent of it.

16. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. Shame Vitesse is Abramobitch territory, otherwise it would be the ideal landing spot for E. Palmer-Brown.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Having said the above, Kashia moving on makes a return to Vitesse a very different proposition. He'll be the leader of the defence and one of the leaders in the dressing-room; he may even get to be captain.

Even the first on its own will do a hell of a lot for his development. Unless he gets a solid BL1 side or the likes of Fulham or Watford, I'd say go back there

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Why? What's it got to do with EPB?

And besides, Matt Miazga hasn't exactly regressed there, has he?

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Miazga probably won't return to Vitesse, and with him gone and the Georgian gone, there's a lot of playing time available at CB.

EPB needs a place to go on loan this year, but it won't be Vitesse because they're a Chelsea affiliate and EPB is a Man City..."player." And that's a shame, because it has been a good place for Miazga to develop.

I think you interpreted some adversarial comment where there wasn't one.

21. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here are his season highlights. One thing I really liked was how much his passing has improved. He was hitting diagonal balls perfectly and constantly bypassing the midfield with his passes. His defense looks good as ever.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #4847 The Irish Rover, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    I didn't see anything adversarial. I was just posting without thinking and you're right; the closeness between Vitesse and Chelski makes EPB to Vitesse is a non-starter

Surprised your response to my stupidity was so civilized, BTW

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Vitesse had made it clear they would keep MM. MM has seemed to indicate he's ready for a bit of a change of scenery. Losing MM and Ka$hia would be hard on Vitesse. vdW was "meh", esp in a 2man CD. Kruis is ooooold. They never got anything good going at RB. Buttner got the most minutes at LB but I was never a fan (though others who know Vitesse better whose opinion I trust have told me I'm wrong there, so I'll reserve judgement,) but the upshot is "yeah, they'd really like to get MM another year, I bet."

eliwood and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I’m guessing we won’t hear anything until after the WC ends or a few games before.

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assessment from Alex Muncy over at the Stars and Stripes FC blog. Doesn't look good for Matt's chances to make the roster for '18/'19. I hope he gets sold to a mid-table EPL or Bundesliga team. Relevant snip from the article below:

This summer Miazga has a major task ahead of him. With his loan now over, he returns to Chelsea looking to win a spot with the Premier League giants. Rumors are swirling that manager Antonio Conte is going to be replaced soon. Whether or not Miazga has a new manager to impress likely will not make his chances of winning a spot any easier. Conte largely features a formation featuring three center backs which obviously poses the need to have more center backs on the roster. If Conte is replaced by a manager who likes to play a more traditional 4-man backline, then Miazga’s chances could be further diminished.

Miazga will also have to show that he’s better than the other center backs on their roster. That’s much easier said than done. David Luiz is rumored to be on the move, but when healthy is a dynamite performer. He had his season cut short by injuries last year. Englishman Gary Cahill is starting to get to an advanced age but still figures to have a couple more years playing at a high level. Andreas Christensen was a fixture in the lineup last season as he showed that he can be one of the building blocks along the back line. He also has the versatility to play as a defensive midfielder or at fullback in an emergency. Germany International Antonio Rudiger was a regular rotation player last season after transferring from AS Roma. Kurt Zouma is another player with versatility who may stand in Miazga’s path. He spent last season on loan at Stoke City as they were relegated. He also is the subject of transfer rumors so he may not be there. Tomas Kalas returns from his loan at Fulham where he often partnered American Tim Ream in the English Championship. Jamaican Michael Hector also returns from his loan at Hull City. Needless to say, Chelsea has a plethora of talent at Miazga’s position. That doesn’t even take into consideration that Chelsea could potentially splash the cash for even more talent there.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/6/18/17476042/preseason-battle-preview-matt-miazga-chelsea