Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ends 4-3 AZ. Our friend Lars was none to impressed by MM (or Ka$hia or Buttner).

I still think Buttner is a big defensive liability. Didn't see this one, but against good attacking teams he just seems not that helpful

HartwickFan repped this.
  2. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

Irony - "a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result."

Posters consistently recommending the Netherlands for young YA, though they seldom if ever watch the league, and then continuing to not watch the league once the player is over there.

Seems ironic to me.

An Unpaved Road and taylor repped this.
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm being a dick and a pedant, but here's why its not ironic: I may hate watching the USL, but still think that a player's development is best served by a loan to the USL instead of going straight to the EPL. Same situation here.

4. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    As the definition I'm using suggests, something need not be definitively ironic or not, I can think something is ironic and you can not.

It seems deliberately contrary to what I would expect when people suggest/hope a player go to the Netherlands and then essentially never watch the league or the player once they are there. I find the the result, nobody really watching, amusing after so many suggest the player move there.

The USL would not be a fair example because I wouldn't expect anyone to watch that. The Eredivisie is still a top league in the world.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Europeans have this "multi" broadcast thing going where you can watch snippets of all the league games being played concurrently. It works surprisingly well, because they have experience and smell when an important play is about to happen in a given game, and switch to it right on time (not always, but often enough).

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ITS LIKE RAAAAAAAAAAAINN, ON YOUR WEDDING DAY

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not to continue the
    Which, of course, is pathetic and a fallacy, because that's only ironic if you believe in the pathetic fallacy...

Otherwise it's just a drag. Or, in the tropic, totally expected.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    AZ's super-hot starlet Jahanbakhsh's hat trick v. Vitesse. MM makes a good, if dangerous tackle on the 1st, but no one covering. Other two just good goals. Saw some place Slutsky will be new manager in fall, but unlikely to affect MM.

9. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    computer-enhanced twitter is the best twitter. This is from the recent 7-0 stomping.

"Delicious How Madison also won Iéder duel by Kramer. Who then went to irritate, suck, and stand on the toes several times. Nice to see that Madison still got FF personal goodbye when Kramer joined his red card. So of "good for you, friend"."

10. S. is a personal friend of Abramovitch, who's probably going to help him with providing good players. Could be MM is set to stay another year.

freisland repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Always possible. MM seems happy enough and if true the Slutsky hire would obviously strengthen an already strong pipeline. Next year (summer 19) would be selling year for MM I think. Vitesse is probably as good a shop window as any, but I'd guess (based on nothing) MM might be ready to try something new.

12. Chelsea youth got beaten (up) by Barcelona 3-0.
    What was obvious was that the Chelsea youth primarily were physical (strong) players. Their defense wasnot very good.
    Judging from that team no way Chelsea is going to be replenished from them.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The best Chelski youngsters are loaned out, the ones they keep are the very young ones and the ones that are hopeless. They even got Hazard's little bro there to give him something to do.

14. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The one with 10+ goals in the last two seasons or is there another Hazard brother?

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kylian. Although last season he was in Hungary, and this one he's only scored twice in actual reserve league play.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Vitesse wins 5-0, to make it 15 goals in 3 games Post-Fraser.

MM started. Did not score. Got YC.

Funny game for a few reasons. Arnhem's Foor tripped over/tripped the CR, then pulled out the guy's yellow card to give him a booking. Also, this confirmed the drop for Twent who were Ered champs just a half-dozen or so years ago.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lars' ratings as vdW went in for MM at 79.

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Also, Vitesse is in 6th, could jump Utrecht to finish fifth or could slip to 7th when 'veen beat Feyenie next week.

Can't finish out of the playoffs at this point.

19. Ehhh,suck my what:mad:

20. They already have a play off ticket. The last match isnot going to change that.

21. The question is which two of H'veen or ADO or PEC Zwolle take the other 2 spots in the last match.
    sc Heerenveen - Feyenoord -
    AZ - PEC Zwolle -
    Roda JC - ADO Den Haag -

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    (yeah... that's what i said in the sentence you quoted... shhhhhh)

23. Oh, was that what you ment. I thought you ment it would be unforgivable to end without a play off spot. Not my native speach, it shows.

freisland repped this.
  24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghost punctuation/inflections are the bane of online communication.

Don't worry, your English is very good!

TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.