Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He is, now.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    In the projected team this weekend, fwiw.

3. I'll say it in Bahasa Indonesia, she probably doesnot speak it, so you're safe;)
    How's the sateh over there, by the way?

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I had the rendang. It was a couple of years ago. Good spot.

In other vitesse news, former GK Wouters Dronkers joined Boston City FC apparently.

Vitesse trying to stay ahead of the pack in 6th w. 42 pts. 5th is probably a b... bit too much to ask (Utrecht and Feynie have 48 pts each) but not impossible. 6-10 is pretty tight. Only a 6 pt. swing there as well... Vitesse will want to keep collecting points. Roda is 2nd from bottom. Arnhem will want all 3 today.

Winoman repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  7. Fraser must be pissed, as this loss=3 points for Roda and getting his next club Sparta closer to relegation.

freisland repped this.
  8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a great two seasons for Matt, but it’s time he test himself against stiffer competition. He might not have it in him, but he’s got to go find out. I think he’s a higher quality- staying out this young would be a mistake.

9. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    The Danish kid hit the skids fighting Alli today. Personally I think Mike's attitude beats Danish maturity.

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'm beginning to think that Miazga has a real shot at playing for Chelsea.

A couple of factors to think about, which I learned from talking to a couple of die hard chelsea fans today:

#1. The club needs a big time overhaul, from front to back

#2. They especially need more creativity in the attack

#3. Roman's riches are being targeted, and they can't spend money freely. They are no longer at the same spending level as the likes of Madrid, City, Utd, PSG - more like Arsenal

#4. They're old along the back, and Moses is terrible (more on this later)

#5. Above I said Dave was Chelsea's best all around defender...the next manager, I think, will play him at fullback (because Moses is simply not good enough)

#6. Don't think Luiz hangs about at Chelsea. Too old, too expensive for a rebuilding squad. Which means the Centerback squad begins and ends with Christensen and Rudiger.

#7. From what I saw against Paraguay, and the reports you read about him, he's got better ball skills than Rudiger, and he's a very good 1v1 defender, with size and athleticism. Basically everything you want out of modern center back on an attacking team.

He's evolution at Vitesse has been really really impressive. Think he's got a legit shot at winning some sort of job at Chelsea next season

neems, HartwickFan and Winoman repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But but but but he came from MLS :eek:

12. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    You could say....escaped :whistling:

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not about you directly LV07/09 but it's so weird the MLS freakout thing on both sides of the issue. I don't pay that much attention, but I rarely notice this from Scandi countries or Switzerland or other "minor" Euro leagues.

You'd think by now MLS has had enough success stories: Bradley, Cameron, McBride, Dempsey, Boca, Yedlin as well as non-USMNT etc. etc. and enough washouts, Shea, etc. that moves of young players would be considered on their own merits and not involve the league in the discussion at all.

And I'll say it again: Clubs train young players. Young players train young players. Leagues do little save give them the opportunity (or restrict opportunities due to rules/finances).

Matt has responded very well to the Ered by all resports and from the games I've seen. My guess is I don't think he will end up a Chelsea CD how, as much due to Chelsea's culture as anything. (but I really am only guessing) I think he will end up being a very good midtable EPL, German or top-of-table Dutch CD.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd rather he went to another club. Maybe he'd start for them for a few games or a few months. But Chelsea likes to have big names. And I'd hate to have him benched after 8 solid performances just cause he doesn't have a sexy name like a player from Brazil or Italy.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hyndman looked very good with Rangers, and all that got him was playing with the reserves in Bournemouth.

I don't want that to be repeated with Miazga.

russ, sXeWesley, The Irish Rover and 3 others repped this.
  16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    The reality is any new manager arriving at Chelsea who decides to play MM, is basically saying: I will risk my entire career on playing Matt Miazga.

If he allows a goal or two the way Christiansen has allowed he'd be crucified and the manager along with him.

I would like to see Chelsea put Willian and Kante in charge of the midfield, push Hazard into ACM, and play a 3-4-3 with moses the sometimes FB / MF on the right.

-------------------------Curtains------------------
    --------------Rudiger-------MM----------Alonso
    ---Moses-------------Kante------------------------------
    -------------------------------------Willian----------
    ---------------Hazard----------------------------------
    Three other players.

HartwickFan, ttrevett and freisland repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Agree with Sam that's the biggest block. There is very little upside to taking a risk on MM when you have Chelski money/reputation to spend. The most likely way he gets to be a Chelsea player is they don't get it together to loan him. He hangs around training and is on the bench when some starters get hurt, gets his minutes and pulls a Rudy. But I think a nice loan/sale to someplace between Arnhem and Stamford Bridge is mostly likely.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Naldo at s04 is 35. Still effective, but clearly in the twilight. I could see it.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Vitesse actually can use him as well. Dunno how happy he is there, and they can't really afford him, but I wouldn't be shocked by another season if MM likes the set-up.

21. :D:ROFLMAO:

22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zouma is still a Chelsea player, no?

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For a couple more months, yep.

24. bnjamin10

bnjamin10 Member

Charlotte FC
    Jun 4, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A U-22 player playing at an all-star level in MLS are generally ready to play at the Eredivisie level. (Miazga, Bradley, Yeldin, Altidore) MLS is neither as good or as trash as people on opposites of the spectrum think. But being that good in MLS at a young age is the sign of good player. It's why I don't really lose sleep over who starts their career where, the best rises to the top. If you can't crack the 1st team in MLS you probably weren't going to in Germany either.

russ repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.