Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're missing some of the nuance.

His issue broadly stated, was passing.

His issue was not passing technique.

His issue was insight and game understanding in possession, or the tactical application of his passing skill.

2. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not let him fool you. Nowhere did I say that technical skill can not be improved.

3. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don’t necessarily agree, but bolded it as I thought it was an interesting perspective. Given that there are those in Europe and specifically ones that write about his club have this view, it seems worthwhile to not completely dismiss and understand.

He definitely still has a chance to reach the the very top of the game, but to do so would require incredible urgency for the next few years. I think his situation is good and is very low in terms of needing to panic, but it is balance of patience and urgency for all our young players.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's a CB. Technique is less important there than in other outfield positions, simply because CBs aren't there to play football as muchas they are there to stop other guys playing. Physicality, concentration, positioning, anticipation, organizing the guys around and in front of you, etc. are the real keys there. Top level technique is great, but if you excel at the other areas while having only average technique, you can still make it to a very high or even top level. Ask John Terrry

5. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I would say specifically passing to the left, especially under pressure. He played RCB for NYRB so it wasn't as big of an issue.

6. Yup, the most important asset of a CD is being smart and seeing things unfolding in time. That's what you get by experience, provided you're smart anyway.
    About Freisland's remark about MM's speed. We at Feyenoord had two CD's, Metgod from Real Madrid and Koeman from Barcelona, who were rather slow. But with those two, not at the same time, we had the least goals scored against us. They were just so smart they hardly ever were caught off guard. It only becomes an issue if you're up front and the opponent conquers the ball and throw out a counter. But with counter attacks like the Dutch did against France and Italy in the EC you can be as fast as Usain Bolt and it stil doesnot help.

7. I asked him and he said his technique was superb. He said who the f..is Irish Rover:p

uniteo, USSoccerNova, Gacm32 and 3 others repped this.
  8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well played. Well played.

As we used to say when I did varsity debating, "40-love. New balls please!" :cool:

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In the modern game, as the keeper has become a sweeper, the CB has more responsibility in moving the ball forward when he has an open lane. You need technique keeping the ball and passing out of the back or central midfield. Matt is at best ok in those.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  10. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    But still an upgrade in those areas compared to Omar and Ream....guys that played important, and bad, minutes for us in the hex. Miazga ain’t Pique back there, but he’s not a complete liability passing out of the back

Gacm32, The Irish Rover and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  11. When he arrived at Vitesse he was, but as a result of his efforts with the staff it improved vastly. Impressive!

Gacm32 and The Irish Rover repped this.
  12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Miazga and Brooks is the most technical centerback duo we have IMHO. Either one can make an opposing midfielder commit and pass around or through them.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yankee noodle dandy.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yep, IMO Matt is our RCB in the coming cycle, no argument from me.

I just think his ceiling is more top of the Eredivisie, not upper half in a Top 5 league. Were he to move to some club like Bremen or Stuttgart, he'd be wasted, benched or rotation only.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Agreed, but JAB's health is concerning. He may not achieve his ceiling due to injuries.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Gacm32 repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Miazga is reported feeling good and slated to start tomorrow, fwiw.

USA-Zebuel, Winoman, TxEx and 1 other person repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Ka$ia is back too so #7 vitesse has it's regular CD duo back for #10 VVV match.

This weekend is a fun one in the Ered as we get toward the home stretch.

#1 PSV v #4 F-nord. Ajax (5 pts back in 2nd) will hope Feynie can do them a favor.
    #2 Ajax v. #8 ADO. #7 Vitesse hoping Ajax will stop ADO slow climb.
    #3 AZ has an easy outing v #18 Sparta
    #5 Utrecht is 1 off F-nord and has a "should win" v. #16 Twente
    #6 Zwolle also has a relatively easy out v. #12 Heracles

#4 through #10 is pretty tight on points
    4 - F-nord - 42
    5 - utrecht - 41
    6 - Zwolle - 39
    7 - Vitesse - 37
    8 - ADO - 35
    9 - 'veen - 32
    10 - VVV - 31

The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Must admit I'm surprised seeing Venlo do so well, I thought they'd be in the relegation battle.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Winoman and neems repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TxEx, Winoman and neems repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    2-1 to VVV at ht

That line-up is weird. MM at LB?

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Second goal was apparenlty a howler on a long ranger by Pasveer. 1st was supposedly a good goal. No report on Arnhem's goal that I've seen.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    guess it's designed as a 5-3-2 with Faye and Dabo as wingbacks. But weird to be playing that against VVV and weird to be giving up 2 1st Half goals with 3 CDs... May be pressing a bit too much?

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    vdWerff is playing the Bradley role: half DM, half CB.