Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused, I responded to a someone asking if they'd use him during preseason.

And yes, that's exactly how Chelsea used to do it when Mourinho was there, and I don't see why that would've changed in the past couple years. They have like 65 senior players under contract, and using all of them in training would be foolish.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-club-s-huge-cast-players-look-new-teams.html

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    If you were referring to the preseason only, then I was responding to the wrong thing. How he's used in the preseason depends on how senior he is. A lot of the players sent out on loan (like Mason Mount at Vitesse) are too young to train with the senior team - Miazga probably wouldn't be.

3. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    From what admittedly little I’ve seen, I think Miazga would do better on a side that defends deeper, which would fit a lower level EPL side. His lack of speed in reading the game would be less of an issue in that situation, as would his lack of pace.

Oh, and welcome to the (dark) blue side ;)

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Between searching obscure Chelski loan histories and living and dying by NUFC, well, let's just say few folks my age undergo such dramatic and traumatic life changes...

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Last three paragraphs will be the relevant ones for folks here.

After he signed in the winter transfer window with Chelsea FC, he stayed at the club for 6 months. He made his debut and played 2 matches in total before joining Vitesse Arnhem in Holland on loan. In his season loan he played a total of 29 matches, including 90 minutes in the final of the cup which Vitesse and Miazga won against AZ Alkmaar. When coming back to Chelsea in the summer of 2017, manager Conte was very fond of him, gave him a lot of confidence in the preseason, although Chelsea still decided it would be better to loan him out again to gain more technical insight and experience elsewhere. There was a lot of interest from several Spanish and German clubs, but to the surprise of everyone (including Vitesse manager Fraser) he chose on the last day of the transfer window to go on loan to Vitesse again. So far this season he played 29 matches while Vitesse still has 11 matches to play till the end of the season.

It’s hard to determine where Miazga is headed in the future. While he has everything to become a top defender in Europe, he has his age against him. Next summer when he returns to Chelsea he will be 23 and will have to make probably the most important decision in his career. The question is if he can fight for a chance in the first team of Chelsea and if he will manage to make enough minutes as playing time is the most important for players of his age. Azpilicueta, Christensen, Ruediger, David Luiz, and Cahill are just a few names he will have to compete with.

If his future is not with Chelsea right now, it will still be a very hard choice to determine where his future is as he has clearly outgrown the Dutch Eredivisie and should head to a bigger competition to be tested against better strikers. Viewing at what kind of defender he is, the German competition would be the best fit as he is good with the ball for a defender, likes to give a cross pass, skipping the midfielders, and is huge aerial threat.

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kashia got subbed out in the 22nd minute after a collision.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    it's 1-1. Haven't seen anything on the injury to Ka$ia but it would be a blow if he were out for any amount of time. Not watching this one but reports are it's a pretty crap game from both sides.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's not "outgrown" the Eredivisie, that sounds awfully condescending. He's played well there but I don't think he's made the Team of the Week more than a couple of times. Also, at times he's made mistakes, because he's used in the Goodson role: he goes forward on the attack for set pieces, to try to hit a header, and on occasion takes too long to return when they lose the ball.

10. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    So sensitive. I do agree he hasn’t outgrown the league, but possibly Vitesse (probably a more appropriate comment from a writer focused on Vitesse). That probably isn’t completely true, but more complete statement would be that given his age, he needs a bigger challenge to accelerate his career growth. He can obviously focus on reducing his mistakes and consistency while making other adjustments in a more challenging in environment.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Frankly, I think Vitesse is his level and going up is eventually going to mean the bench. Shame the Dutch team can't buy him outright.

12. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Capped out at 22? That first scenario would still be better for his career. A move to a bigger club/league would still be a challenge that he might rise to the occasion or would also help him improve. Luckily, the team can’t buy him now as it isn’t the ideal path to get him to the highest ultimate level.

13. It deends on the attitude of the player. When Dirk Kuyt joined Feyenoord from FC Utrecht I wasnot thrilled. First because I hate them since the last century mid sixties and second because I doubted he would be able to step up the level, but he did. When he moved to Liverpool I doubted again he would be able to fit in, but again he raised his own bar and with the Orange team he raised his level again.
    So, given a certain amount of quality one can raise his level by shere determination.
    The question is how determined is Miazga?

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A few years in Holland isn't the worst thing. But ideally playing for an Ajax or PSV. Maybe he finds a move to a relegation fodder club in the PL or Bundesliga where he proves his worth.

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    No way man. One of the few US players who is legit quality. Has the right mentality.

adam tash repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Mentality is top notch. The limiting factor here is technique.

17. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His technique is fine. More than good enough for the EPL or Bundesliga.

His limitations in possession when he first arrived at Vitesse were tactical, not technical.

He proceeded to learn and he achieved the necessary insight.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I can see the argument that he's "outgrown" the Ered in terms of "raising the bar." He's fairly well demonstrated that he is a capable "top 5-8" Ered defender. So if the idea is to raise the bar incrementally to see if he ever becomes a Chelsea-level defender, it's easy to argue it's time to up the level and see if he can cope.

I haven't seen every match, and I think there are weaknesses in MM's game, but I'm not sure his actions on set-pieces is a key part. Fraser pushes both CD's forward on set pieces often, whether it's MM or vdW on the field, and there's not much he can do about his speed.

I think his reading of the attcking passing game, especially when facing a wide-open counter is sometimes a bit tentative. I've seen him caught in no-man's land or late to adjust/make a deicison. I also think, given his skill-set, he would benefit from becoming a "CD general" who can direct the defense, which would be helped by him mastering his read of the game as much as possible.

At the same time, he's been pretty consistent and solid when I've seen him. No reason he couldn't continue to learn to read the game better.

19. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    They were certainly also technical based on what he showed at Chelsea.

20. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    False narrative. Watched every minute he played at Chelsea. No technical errors come to mind, except for a poorly headed clearance that isn't really relevant in this context.

21. Uhm, did you forget the first posts by the vitesse fans and me about his technical shortcomings when he played in the reserve team? And what the staff did to iron that out? It's some time ago, but not so long that it slipped out of memory.

22. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people don't know the difference between technique and the tactical application of.

Miazga had to learn how to apply the technique he was already in possession of in new, more robust ways.

You can't teach a senior player how to acquire the requisite technical skill to play CB at the Eredivisie level.

You can teach him tactical objectives and intentions, and correct interaction and nonverbal communication between sectors, in possession of the ball.

23. Passing for instance, a major requirement in Dutch football and a technical issue, was something standing out as a sore thumb for Vitesse fans. Just go back in the thread and read them.
    I donot get your opinion that one after a certain age cannot improve technical skills. Top stars do it each day by practicing to improve.

adam tash repped this.
  24. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his age is not against him at all....23 is still very young for a recent team of the week defender in holland who's been starting for several seasons in a decent european league. center backs mature later anyway......

his situation is one of the least urgent in the entire USMNT pool and he still has the chance to reach the very top of the game, imo.

regardless, he has proven to be capable at a decent level and would have no trouble finding a good team to play for no matter what chelsea decides.....yeah it would be nice if he somehow ends being a starter for chelsea...but its hardly "make or break" time for him.....(like it seemingly is for so many other yanks abroad)

25. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i dont get it either players in all different sports learn new skills all the time....tennis basketball football etc.....just because some don't doesn't mean all can't