Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. IIRC it was homesickness.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. He was a month late for jingle bells:p

freisland, neems, DHC1 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts today against Bjorn Maars Johnsen.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #4380 Suyuntuy, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Vitesse dominating away so far. Den Haag in their area, so both Johnsen and Miazga have had little to do.

37' and finally Den Haag pushing out of the back, now it's a midfield battle but it's obvious Vitesse has the better talent. Still Matt & Bjorn not involved.

Wouldn't be surprised if ADO manages a win on a quick counter though, it's what they do.

44' the locals finally took some control, mostly on the wings. Nothing happening down the middle, but it looks like Vitesse has retreated considerably in the last five minutes.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And ADO goes ahead, Becker scores on a counter after Beerens loses the ball with the CBs (Miazga & Kashia) in a bad position. The fullbacks tried to save things, but they didn't make it. 1-0.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #4384 Suyuntuy, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    All the second half Matt has played going forward every time his team has the ball, trying to head in the crosses, being one of the tallest guy they have. Surprisingly, he has yet to connect one.

And he's leaving a big hole at the back for their counters, but I guess those are his instructions. Vitesse is lucky that ADO look happy with the 1-0.

PS: Finally in the 91' Matt connected, bud he was well-marked. With this result Vitesse are barely in the zone to qualify for the second Europa berth (#4 to #7).

The guy who crashed his head against Matt, Beugelsdijk, is bleeding from the forehead. It did look painful.

9. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    There's been a lot of missed Yanks Abroad puns.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    "That was no broad, that was the opppsing player..." thankyouverymuchimhereallwaeek

vexco and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4388 BostonRed, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    From our pal Lars:

963191494248226816 is not a valid tweet id

Perhaps not surprisingly, 2 players on TOW on loan from Chelski, one for Real Madrid...

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Damn shame he doesn't have a tournament this summer so he could double the interest in him.

He probably moves for what like 5/7 million euros?

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I don't think his age is the issue - Rudiger is playing regularly and isn't exactly old at 24. But Conte's system relies on CBs being very good with the ball at their feet or fast, and preferably both (which is why Azpilicueta has been our best defender the last few years). Miazga isn't really either of those two things, so isn't likely to get a shot - same reason why Cahill has been playing less.

Of course, it's looking increasingly more likely Conte won't be with Chelsea next season, so who knows.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Miazga was bought from MLS for $5.8m, so to be sold he'd have to get at least around $8m.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Is Transfermart's LB price correct (4.1 mill sterling) That's the number you'd want to use, since Chelski would be selling him by the pound. (Wiki has it as 3.5 mill LBs sterling, 5 million USD.)

So today that would be between 4 and 4.7 mill Euro approx. Not sure what Chelski considers a good margin, but I think you're probably right - 7-8 mill Euro would get someone at Stamford to at least answer the phone if Chelsea really didn't think they had any use for him.

Wonder if they think one more loan ups his value enough to justify the risk. A couple of million one way or the other seems like such pocket change to Chelsea though.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    At present, Chelsea don't have a need to sell Miazga. If they wanted to raise revenue, they have other players out on loan who would bring in far more money.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what do Chelsea see for Miazaga? any chance they use him in pre-season or will they just flip him once they see an offer over $10 million?

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would think he's well down the list... I certainly don't know much about Chelski's business model, but it seems from those that know still relatively unlikely they use him. So at some point I guess they'll look to sell. Maybe look for a higher profile loan first? I don't know if they have a particular model they pursue when setting up a player to sell on.

20. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Potential, presumably. Miazga clearly has it, but at the moment his skill set doesn't fit the coaching set up. Of course, that's true for better and far more expensive players too - see the Michy loan. Michy is a good player, just all wrong for Conte's system.

I don't think there's a set policy, but I would guess Chelsea would prefer to see Miazga test himself in Germany or another league before selling him. We don't tend to sell young players out on loan from the Dutch league, especially if they're playing at a pretty good level. There's no reason not to see what Matt can do in the Bundesliga or even at a lower level Premier League side. He's certainly got the size and (after that nut grab) brawn to play for a Pulis/Allardyce side.

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea uses a few guys from the loan army in preseason, but typically those guys actually train separately from the first team. There's so many of them that they're essentially a whole team that fits between the first team and the u23s.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think MM would do well in a lower-end EPL team - can get forward and get his head on the ball, seems to be picking up the kind of confidence/agression you need in that role. Still not 100% convinced of his speed of thought and ability to read the game (not saying it's not good either - just haven't seen him against enough top talent to have a great sense if he can face it week-in week-out. EPL CD's have to be smart/have a good read of the game. It comes at you fast.)

Will be interesting to watch. I've learned more about Chelski than I ever wanted due to this loan.

23. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    That’s not accurate, and not the point. The preseason is irrelevant.