Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    you Dutchies are a strange breed.

Funny accents. But I've 2 friends in Schevengen (poor spelling) who I've known for years. Visited them 5 times since 2010 and they are like Family.

I quite like their charactr. Talkative. Freedom to ask all questions and very cheap :p maybe I'm Dutch, though i'm too short probably.

Winoman repped this.
  2. Decades ago, when I had a month long holiday in Hawaii the women said to me that I had such a cute accent. At first my inner reaction was:"Cute? Macho me, cute?"
    But soon I noticed it was a babe magnet:) So macho me was out and cuteme was in:D

Guess it is Scheveningen on the coast. Spent almost all my weekends as a youth/adolescent there in the dancings they had.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's a nice story.

My friends are very middle-class. Just had a kid whose now 4 while they push into their 40's. They have an obsession with southern US culture. Really trippy. I told them if they ever get to Louisiana, i'll have my mom take them to a Baptist church.

Thanks for the spelling. It's a nice locale. Very friendly people there.

Winoman repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Every time I hear "Scheveningen" I immediately think, "Keres!"

The Dutch cheapness is a great stimulus to develop young players. It saves money when you don't have to buy, and it makes money when you sell for a much higher price.

I like that way of thinking, being a cheap dude myself.

Winoman and butters59 repped this.
  5. When Miazga keeps performing well he definitively will be in the cross lines of clubs in the big leagues.
    I already mentioned several defenders from low flying Dutch clubs being snapped up by CL playing teams
    The one from Groningen (starting point of Virgil van Dijk), Hateboer has performed so well inItaly that he's now targeted by several Serie A clubs.
    The most recent defender in the Eredivisie that seems to be targeted by a big league club for their defense isnot a defender at all. Renato Tapia of Feyenoord played as CD because of the injuries of our defenders and did so well, that he caught the attention of clubs. French and Dutch media suggest he's wanted by French clubs and specifically Olympique Marseille is mentioned as having put down an opening bid of 10 million.
    I personally would wait until after the WC2018.
    So again a proof of showing off in the Eredivisie as a defender pays off!!
    What's the plan of Chelsea with MM?

eliwood and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. The surprises of the first half of the season, of which MM is one:
    http://www.elfvoetbal.nl/Binnenland...-van-de-eerste-seizoenshelft-in-de-Eredivisie
    Sommige zomertransfers pakten slecht uit, sommige goed. Maar er was ook een aantal spelers dat boven hun verwachtingen presteerde in de eerste seizoenshelft. ELF Voetbal zet de spelers die verrasten in de eerste seizoenshelft op een rij.
    01-01-2018 11:45 door Thijs de Bruijn
    Sommige zomertransfers pakten slecht uit, sommige goed. Maar er was ook een aantal spelers dat boven hun verwachtingen presteerde in de eerste seizoenshelft. ELF Voetbal zet de spelers die verrasten in de eerste seizoenshelft op een rij.

01-01-2018 11:45 door Thijs de Bruijn

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Leverkusen sells Tah this summer for a large fee, then buys Miazga as his replacement. Easy as pie. Sort of.

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. By the way, if you did see the match of Liverpool vs ManCity you did see the most stupid defending possible by players payed each one more than a complete Dutch defense.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sums its up, more or less:

"Perhaps the good performance of Miazga in the first half of the season could be predicted in advance. Last season, Vitesse also hired the American defender from Chelsea. Yet Miazga seems even better this season than before. That gives him a nice place in this team."

Gacm32 and Excellency repped this.
  10. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see him being loaned this summer to a mid table German team or sold with a buy back to a big Netherlands club or a lower table German club.

11. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure he’ll get lots of interest after showing well in the World Cup.

onefineesq repped this.
  12. PalmettoSpur

PalmettoSpur Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Too soon.

chrome_vapors, Gacm32, Gorky and 2 others repped this.
  13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    tortured, painful smile.

14. vreleven

vreleven Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please!!!!!!!!

He would be considered too young to make the team!:(:mad:

Gacm32 repped this.
  15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Didn't know Poland had qualified . . .

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    did he ever have interest from Poland?

17. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes...

And so did Eric Lichaj before he became cap-tied to the US in 2011

Gacm32 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Turned down at least two youth call-ups from them. Also said that he was "open" to whatever senior team and got cap-tied by the US 8 days later.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the few decisions I whole heartily agreed with Klinsmann on

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the hope. Maybe follow in Christensen's footsteps to Monchengladbach. They are one of the only teams in the top half of the table that have a negative goal difference and it's mostly because they've conceded so many goals. Only Freiburg Mainz and Koln have given up more and they are all in the relegation fight. I have only seen them in passing while watching other YAs in the Bundesliga so I'm not sure if it's Vestergard and Ginter that are the problem or if Zakaria and Kramer are getting over run in midfield but could be a good landing spot for Miazga.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he ready to be a starter on mid-table club or better in a top 3 league?

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd guess he's ready to give it a shot. Thinking about MM's past couple of seasons - what I've seen of him and what I've read - he has been very consistent, even in regard to performance against various opposition levels, which may prove to be both a good sign about his consistency but perhaps a concern about where his top is. He had fared very well against Ered bottom feeders and even midtable clubs, he has been a bit less convincing in some of his games against PSV, Feyenoord and AZ but that has been true for Vitesse overall. They've pretty consistently (not always of course) won when expected, traded points with top "not big 4" clubs (except that 2-1 to Ajax) and lost to PSV, Feyenoord and AZ (Zulte-W notwithstanding) They also had trouble with Lazio and Nice...

MM has not be a complete dog in any game I've seen this year, but also has not looked like a guy outclassing his teammates/opponents. So to the extent that PSV, AZ, Ajax, Lazio, Feyenoord might be competitive in the lower reaches of the B1, MM can clearly hang, but will not save a sinking ship (like most players tbf.)

My guess would be in the right situation he could be an asset, but is not as capable of playing the "CD quarterback" role that many B1 teams like to employ. His passing and vision seem good enough, but not standout.

23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, edcrocker and adi21 repped this.
  24. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody know the reason why ?

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No clue. But the last defender we had that missed a game was CCV, and he got recalled to his parent club a couple of days later. Maybe recalled to Chelsea?