Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    One fine day they're just going to do away with the club names and we'll just have the names of the corporations: Planet Hollywood (aka Everton) vs. Bet365 (aka Stoke) or Volkswagen (Wolfsburg) vs. Bayer (ah wait, that one wouldn't even need to change).

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People have been saying this for decades. It won’t happen.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Yeah, someone already sayd it should be running for the most beautiful own goal ever:D

4. He could have tried the scorpion kick:ROFLMAO:

HartwickFan, Gorky and freisland repped this.
  5. It's a matter of fact the CL interest in the NL is dropping fast, while the interest in the league itself grows. Clubs have plans to expand stadiums or build complete new ones (hope the new Feyenoord one doesnot come) and PSV are cracking their brains how to put more seats in their stadium, which is difficult because of the location. They donot want to move to another spot.
    This is something I donot know if it's similar in other countries too. But even in countries with top clubs in it the CL fades in interest. The main reason is the gap between the top clubs and the rest.
    Now just suppose a break away SL would have to compete with a CL of more face to face clubs. What would you think would happen with that rejuvenated CL? All those people now turning away from it are going to come back, while the SL is just more of what turns people all over Europe off in the first place. Man I cannot wait for the day the big clubs go on that megalomaniac mass suicide. Bring it on.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different markets. It's like in Wyoming everybody is a huge fan of the University of Wyoming basketball and football teams even though they know the best they'll ever do is get in the tournament and maybe win a game. They know they aren't the NFL. Yet they still go to games.

Maybe in the Netherlands people are tuning out the big clubs and going to local games which is great. But I can tell you people in places like Colombia and Ukraine don't care much about their local clubs and instead watch Barcelona and Chelsea.

7. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has the worst tangents.

8. To put being signed by ManCity in perspective, this happened to their players yesterday:
    NAC Breda – Ajax 0-8
    NAC Breda: Birighitti 3; Sporkslede 3, Mets 3, Mari 3, Angelino 3; Verschueren 3, El Allouchi 3, Korte 3 (46. Meijers 3); Garcia 3; Vloet 3 (75. Sprangers -), Ambrose 3 (66. Enevoldsen -).
    Ajax: Onana 7; Veltman 7, De Ligt 8, Viergever 7, Sinkgraven 7,5 (81. Wöber -); Van de Beek 8, Schöne 7,5, Ziyech 7,5; Neres 7, Dolberg 6,5 (60. Huntelaar 7), Kluivert 6 (60. F. de Jong 7).

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    My personal interest in the BundesLiga tanked since it became a one-team league.

And, frankly, it's nauseating how plastics change club from one season to the next.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    That team only included 4 ManCity players... the majority are still NAC players.

11. NAC Breda:
    Birighitti 3; Sporkslede 3, Mets 3, Mari 3, Angelino 3; Verschueren 3, El Allouchi 3, Korte 3 (46. Meijers 3); Garcia 3; Vloet 3 (75. Sprangers -), Ambrose 3 (66. Enevoldsen -).

Wonder how the other 4 would have been.
    But what's your point in regard to my post?
    The point I made was that getting exited about youth players to be signed by clubs like ManCity or Chelsea is not justified as it is by far a confirmation of quality.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    A year ago Breda was in the Eeerste Divisie, and a year from now they'll be back there. It's where they belong.

13. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s amazing how you still don’t understand that no one is excited about EPB because he signed for Man City.

On this boards it’s overwhelmingly based on evaluation of his play and analysis of his development arch spanning years.

This has been explained to you numerous times, but it’s like you want to argue with yourself, even in the threads that have nothing to do with either EPB or Man City.

FirstStar repped this.
  14. Well, actually I disagree. It is a club with a fan base that is far bigger than for instance Excelsior. But they abandoned sound club policies and try to ride the wave of ManCity exploitation. With solid no frills management they should be capable of maintaining the Eredivisie status. They have a gate number 4 times higher than Excelsior. They have no excuse for being shit.

15. "The point I made was that getting exited about youth players to be signed by clubs like ManCity or Chelsea is not justified"

Just put in a search with City in the EPB thread and read what is being posted.

As I said before I have no meaning about EPB's qualities. I saw 3 Kansas mls matches in which he played since the whole exchange started about my analysis of the realism of what was posted and published about the Dutch opportunities.
    I was constantly blasted, except for one or two posters for just presenting facts, without any opinion about his qualities. But now time progresses more and more what I stated becomes true. Every blown up opportunity by the fans disappeared.
    The guy quoted as the deep throat with far more credibility than what I put forward hasnot been able to show anything he brought out to be true. Fact is that I posted the news that PSV approached him after the summer for a winter signing. Not him. All his blah blah vapourized in thin air.
    The last thing I read in the media is that he's going on a loan to NAC.
    I hope for him he gets a better opportunity, but that's what socalled inside ManCity sources leaked to the press. Dunno if it's true.

16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Not going to happen because the basis for a "club" is the community from where it comes from. Once supporters get marginalized to the point where their club becomes a corporation's name that changes every few years to new highest bidders the whole construct collapses. The citizens of that community or city will have no vested interest in connection with the club.

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wouldn't be so sure, humans are very adaptable.

See Mexico, where a "club" is often just the name of a franchise, and it moves from city to city depending on who's willing to put down the money.

18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Would need some examples of this one. What Mexican clubs in their top flight have done that?

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can remember some 2nd division teams that did this, but not their name. Maybe Dorados de Sinaloa?

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlante moved from Mexico City to Cancun in 2007

Winoman and Gorky repped this.
  21. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Historically you've seen Mexican cubs relocate from Mexico City to escape the shadow of Club America and Cruz Azul.

In addition to Atlante, Necaxa come to mind.

Small market clubs have also been know to jump to a better market after promotion.

Winoman repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Jaguares (Chiapas) and Gallos Blancos (Queretaro) are the ones that did it in their top flight.

PS: This is a good write-up on the Ghost Franchises and how they switch names & locations. Sadly, it's in Spanish only:

http://laaficion.milenio.com/futbol/franquicias-fantasmas_0_278372449.html

Winoman repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dougtee, PalmettoSpur and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone broadcast the Europa league games in the states anymore?