Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He JUST got there.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why don't you read what I said?

He could've played this week from the start, given he's match fit and is on the bench, so while I don't care about one week, what happened last season can't be viewed as acceptable this season. I know the end to the season was good, so people forget what happened at the start, but he wasn't an every game starter for most of the season. Miazga needs to be in the lineup next week. He took a step down to go back to Vitesse, he needs to be recognized as one of their first names on the team sheet this season.

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely disagree with the rest of what you said but we can agree to disagree. I just wanted to point out the fact that, even given your assumption, it's unreasonable to expect him to start a semi-competitive match when he missed almost all of preseason.

Next week I think he has a chance to start, assuming he is viewed as one of their better CBs.

4. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    I just love the trichotillomania on YA when a favorite player doesn't start.

striker, HouseHead78, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Take your college boy words and leave

6. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Time to expand your horizons. :D

Suyuntuy and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I like my blissful ignorance.

I just wanna see our boy starting and in Russia

Suyuntuy and Streaky Bacon repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can it be a step own if it's the same place?

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Because you'd expect a 22 year old who did well at that level to move to a higher level

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. But "not a higher level" isn't the same thing as a step down. You realize that, don't you? Wny can't you just admit you were wrong and overwrought?

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just assumed he was speaking Dutch.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think 90 per week is likely from the jump, but he should get decent minutes.

It was interesting Buttner took the PK today. I did not see the game, just listened to a Dutch feed, so I can only go on a few tweets and short match reports. But if Buttner locks down the LB slot this year, that pushes Kruiswijk back into the competition for CD. I think MM is better than Kruiswijk in the long run, but K is an ered vet who has played almost all of the Vitesse preseason. So I think he will at least get rotation minutes.

Then, if Kaisha and Kruis are the "out the gate" starting CDs with Chelski loanee on the Right and Buttner on the left, MM and/or van der Werff will have to unseat Kruiswijk (or, perhaps Kaisha, but he was Vitesse top ered minute-man last season and highest rated by some sites.)

That said, Vitesse have 3 more games in August, so not so busy, but Sept will be packed. I think it rolls out like:
    9/9 - Ered
    9/14 - Europa
    9/17 - Ered
    9/20 or 21 - Baker cup
    9/23 or 24 - Ered
    9/28 - 2nd leg Europa
    10/1 - Ered
    Be very unlikely MM does get a few starts here. If he has not grab the spot by then, he will have chances to prove his worth.
    If Vitesse stay in Europa, Oct and Dec will be busy as well.

And, of course, if Buttner ends up being last year's Buttner, Kruiswijk could end up at LB again, make MM's minutes more likely and more pentiful.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    First time Vitesse makes the group stage of an Europa, it's usually two games and out for them.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Because wrong and overwrought is the only setting on his emotional register?

chrome_vapors repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah only thing that gives me slight optimism for them is they've fared reasonably well against the good Ered clubs. Certianly possible they get a couple more games. Can't see them getting past end of year for sure. But Sept is a busy month no matter who they draw.

16. while Fraser is getting the team adjust and accustome to about 4 or 5 new players in the team. MM isnot slotting into the same team he left. It has changed significantly. So he basically has no clue who he is playing with.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's about 50/50 I guess, but new Keeper (Passaveer), which is obviously big.
    Chelski Dabo on the RB also new to MM.
    Kashia and Kruiswijk are known as is Buttner. (other 3 backs v. Feyenie)
    Midfield, Rashica and Foor played some last season.
    Serero + Bruns are new as are Linnsen and Matavz.

So that's pretty big changes. If Kruiswijk goes back to LB and MM or vdW fill in with Kashia, the D will be pretty stable.

Midfield is big question. Colkett got minutes (another Chelski loan via Swindon) Baker will be missed overall for sure. Faye on played a few games last season. I don't think I saw him (or didn't notice if I did.)

Be interesting to see how this team fills out. I hadn't realized how many new faces in the line-up.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #3693 The Irish Rover, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    With so many new faces the coach will prioritize seeing how they gel with each other and the retained players.

A player who's a) a known quantity, b) arrived late to pre-season and c) arrived at the start of the week for a trophy match (The Johan Cryuff Shield = Dutch Super Cup) after d) flying cross-continent and trans-Atlantic (that's 11 hours if he got a direct flight; 15-16 with a transfer), is not going to start a relatively important game.

It would be borderline malpractice to do that.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think too many folks expected MM to start v. F-word, but I would not have bet on Buttner being in the realistic mix for LB and that pushing Kruis back in the middle (but I don't follow Vitesse closley enough to be 'in the know'). But realistically, if Buttner become 1st choice at LB,
    MM will be competing with Kruiswijk and vdW for 2nd spot. If Buttner does not lock down LB, it's back to MM v vdW.

I still think MM turns into regular starter, but I doubt he's a 100% sure thing. Injuries will be a big contributor.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so will the manager rotate the CB's or will it take a poor performance or injury before Miazga is a starter again?

21. The best one to ask is that Vitesse fan.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't think he's a bench player, I think he's part of the rotation at this point. We'll see in the game vs. Breda this weekend.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Given the 6 or 7 matches in 30 days in Sept. MM will for sure get real minutes, but at the same time, Kruis/Kash as the CD pair has not been lit up yet either. (Vitesse gave up a single goal in every summer match save an early July game ve. Oleksandria - Where Kruiswijk played, but not Kashia - or van der Werff. I think Lelieveld was other CD - and the 3-2 Reading win - which had Dabo, Kashia, Kruiswijk, Buttner.) Interesting that it looks like vdW only had maybe one start in the summer games (from a quick look- could be more) wonder if he's still not feeling 100%.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how long it takes MM to fight back in. My guess is Oct before he's starting more than 50% but that really is just a guess. I have seen very little of this team - youtube highlights only - since end of last season.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    btw, this is the weird goal/PK thing that feyenoordfan mentioned.

Streaky Bacon repped this.
  25. The Feyenoord attack was so fast after the foul, the VAR couldnot keep up.
    It was less then 20 seconds I think it took from committing the foul to the goal scored at the other end of the pitch.
    The only faster Dutch counter attacks I can remember are in the famous obliteration matches against the two World Cup finalists France and Italy in the Euro Cup.
    The goal wasnot dropped because of the VAR. It was an offside decision and the crowd was thinking/hoping the VAR called the goal onside. They didnot expect it to become a penalty for Vitesse.