Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    It's not that their loan system is a failure. Everyone could see Lukaku's talent shine at West Brom and Everton. The failure was that Mourinho didn't rate him enough to give him 1st team playing time at Chelsea. Lukaku rightfully wanted playing time guarantees he wasn't going to get at Stamford Bridge so he pushed his move to Everton.

The same thing is going to be said about Christiansen. He excelled at Gladbach but instead of getting a chance with the Blues they bought the Roma CB. See Ake, De Bruyne, etc.

For whatever reason integration into the first team rarely happens at Chelsea. They do though sell a ton of former loanees to teams all across the continent for profit.

Zinkoff and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. The angle is different.
    The money payed was a damage pay, not a development fee.
    Development fee money is peanuts compared to the costs of maintaining the academy.
    Chelsea faced legal problems with FIFA, because they robbed the player at 15, when they illegaly already had him tied.

From the Telegraaf newspaper:
    Feyenoord waarschuwde Chelsea over Ake

03 FEB 2011

ROTTERDAM - Feyenoord heeft Chelsea vorig jaar gewaarschuwd bij de pogingen om jeugdspeler Nathan Ake (15) weg te halen uit de jeugdacademie op Varkenoord. De KNVB onderzoekt op dit moment de rol van makelaar Daan Kramp van het kantoor Forza Fides uit Amsterdam, dat Ake op 15-jarige leeftijd al diverse keren zou hebben meegenomen naar het trainingscomplex van Chelsea.

,,Wij hebben Chelsea zowel mondeling als schriftelijk gewaarschuwd,'' zegt Feyenoord-jurist Joris van Benthem. ,,Feyenoord kan een speler niet tegenhouden die op zijn zestiende verjaardag zijn eerste contract bij Chelsea wil tekenen. Maar Nathan Ake mag op zijn vijftiende niet worden begeleid door een FIFA-agent en geen besprekingen voeren over een contract. Feyenoord heeft een fax gestuurd met daarin de mededeling dat de FIFA-regels moeten worden gerespecteerd.''

Feyenoord krijgt een vergoeding van Chelsea van meer dan een half miljoen euro, maar het had de speler liever in huis gehouden

But in the end it is the loss of the player going the wrong route, ending at a shit club.
    He's from the same academy year as Rick Karsdorp, who is going to beat him in every aspect of the game. Better club, better salary, CL run, Orange international.
    The same for the one year younger Terence Kongolo, who just signed for Monaco. They both stayed and went the necesary Dutch Eredivisie first team track and are in a better position than Aké is.
    To illustrate within one family how wrong a decision can be we can look at Terence's brother Rodney. He decided to move to the ManCity money pot at 16. He made at that age more money than his 4 year older brother, who was then a substitute player gaining experience.
    Now Rodney is nowhere near what his brother had in play time at a high level. He now is more or less begging to be loaned to Feyenoord to get experience at a high level. Right. After another EPL parasite club picked up a talent we had been developing, we are begged by that same player to put value on him for that parasite club, while blocking a place for a true home grown player. My message would be: "F..k off."

Winoman repped this.
  3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say that article is completely misinformed.

The only reasons Chelsea don't still have De Bruyne and Lukaku was because Roman handed over the keys to Mourinho when he came back, and Mourinho sold all the young players. If it weren't for him, they'd both still be there. Most Chelsea fans will agree that De Bruyne was the best player in the preseason before he got sold.

And, on the real, this is why Chelsea has the loan system. This is after both Lukaku and Rudiger:
    upload_2017-7-11_20-24-12.png

Robdog, Winoman and bballshawn repped this.
  4. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're using 10 days of data and a player ManU bought? You may have a point. This dataset doesn't prove it.

Eta: Here is what they had done for last 2 years.

859119028266299392 is not a valid tweet id

PalmettoSpur and The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. PSV are trying to get van Ginkel transferred from Chelsea, but the Blue twats are stalling it. Maybe if PSV tells them Chelsea can loan Miazga to PSV too, it will get into gears.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Okay but it seems like they only get value by actually loaning the players on the hope they can be sold for much more. It's a risky policy i'd say and all the credit goes to the loaned club.

7. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Which confirms his point. Chelsea's spending power is closer to United/Citeh than Spurs or Liverpool, and yet our overall spending for the past two years is net 37M. That's much closer to Liverpool than either Manchester club.

That would be true if the players were bought randomly and not trained at the academy. Presumably the clubs want to take these players on because they're, you know, pretty good? There was a fight among Premier League teams to take Tammy Abraham on loan. That's not because they know they'd have to do all the development.

8. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Deeneaus repped this.
  9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    How is it risky? They paid what, 3M for Miazga? They sold Ake for $25M.

They bought Lukaku for 15M, and sold him to Everton for $35M.

They purchased Mario Pasalic for 3M, and how he's worth 8M

They purchased Patrick Bamford for 1.5M, and sold him to Boro for 6.5M

And these are just a handful I randomly clicked on. They bought Antonio Rudiger for what, 45M? That money was already there just from the handful of players I listed here, or close to it.

10. As I said, youngsters are looney to sign for Chelsea as they represent to Chelsea nothing but cash for buying players they really want.

11. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Actually I completely disagree. They may be property to Chelsea but they get opportunities that kids from clubs like Telstar don't get. Without Chelsea Miazga doesn't get his Vitesse loan.

Without Chelsea Ake doesn't go to Watford or Bournemouth and get his big money move either. Maybe he ends up somewhere just as well. But in all probability he doesn't get anywhere near the kind of compensation he gets from them if he goes onto a Bundesliga club or Serie A.

A lot of kids go on to star from the Dutch leagues. A ton fail beyond those borders. It's not the path for everyone but as long as kids understand how it works more power to them.

Gacm32, Robdog and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I dont understand why that's bad for the young players. They have a rich club's contract to live on, and they get to experience multiple levels of play, multiple nations, and multiple clubs. While seeing their value increase.

Miazga will likely never play for Chelsea again, but he's certainly going to be a better, more worldly, more valuable, and more versatile, and more valuable player because of it

13. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, my point was his logic was off even if the conclusion wasn't so bad. Which I specifically proved vis-a-vis my production of relevant facts.

Explain why Lukaku is relevant again? Still haven't figured out that one.

14. His former mates at the Feyenoord academy did get moved to bigger clubs with big pay checks with play in the CL and are ahead of him as I already posted. Maybe for MM it is a way, but for the Dutch talents EPL clubs were a dead end street, in contrast to the ones that stayed. Aké ends up with a decent pay check, but most of those that went to EPL academies did in the end after loan after loan in England return to the Netherlands and play for lower end of the table clubs.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I could provide a timeframe?

My point was that after spending 34 million on Rudiger, Chelsea still had made money this window and had sold no one that contributes to their first team, while United was just going further downwards.

But of course, if you actually tried reading and used a little bit of your brain, I wouldn't have had to put this in layman's terms. Seems like no one else had a problem understanding.

16. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I was thinking too that it's perhaps an especially appealing route for MLS players. A team like Vitesse was never going to pony up enough money to buy Miazga from MLS. Now Miazga has had a chance to showcase himself with a better than average Eredivisie team and might ultimately catch on with a team a further step up the ladder, even if not as far up the ladder as Chelsea.

Robdog and The Irish Rover repped this.
  17. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    You can change the name to Osalunde here. He may never suit up for ManU but he's going to get loan opportunities that he never would have had he joined an MLS team. The list of ex MU players on other teams is tremendous. Failing to make the grade there or at Chelsea isn't a damning indictment on any player.

Feyenoord is all upset about rich mega clubs stealing his team's players and I get that. I'd probably be upset too but for players that aren't on the top five or six Dutch clubs they'll never get the opportunities Chelsea can offer.

Hell Miazga ran out of time at the deadline. He was supposed to join Espanyol. When that fell through Vitesse was his backup. Some up and comer at Den Haag, VVV, Telstar, Excelsior, Sparta, Willem, Roda, etc never get those chances.

Robdog and The Irish Rover repped this.
  18. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was totally called for.

When people misunderstand my writing, I usually evaluate how I conveyed the point and how it could have been improved. It's empowering and enables me to normally avoid being irritated by simple miscommunication.

If you think it was altogether clear the point you were trying to make, fair play. I don't think it was at all. The number of inferences left open by your post was at least 3-4, and I didn't really connect any of them to a perspective on ManU. It sounds like you were criticizing Mourinho's practices and then claiming Chelsea's genius in semi-balancing the books. Can't really be both the way I understand it.

Eta tl;dr:I was simply trying to figure out an interpretation of your post that was internally consistent, and I still don't see it.

19. Actually I'm not only upset about it being done to my club by the EPL parasites, but also to my clubs rivals like Ajax and PSV.
    I'm upset about it as it has had a negative effect on the quality of our national team. Unless one thinks the EPL scouts are morons and snatch our second best talents as a habit, and thus the resulting "developed" players are 100% of the bunch expression of their lower quality, one has to conclude the EPL hasnot delivered one locked in player for the Orange team. Neither has any other league for that matter, but the EPL grabs about 95% of the 16 year olds moving abroad.
    Our Orange team now for decades is very recognizable in it's play style and attitude. It stemms from the philosophy embedded from the sixtees on on the wave of self expression and independend thinking among our youth and the soccer plilosophy of Ernst Happel (the true inventer of 4-3-3 and total football) and Cruijff giving us the world supremacy of those days with Feyenoord and Ajax. That all resulted in a soccer culture of "we are the best and the best way is our way". That attitude is present in any club, even the low in the table ones. Obviously in a lower quality execution, but the same. Some superficial/hap hazard viewers talk about defending in the "Eredivisie" is poor. What they fail to see is that in contrast to other leagues the bottom table teams still try to play well organized, sophisticated football. Our bottom teams donot park the bus as a habit. It doesnot mean they donot, but when done it is the result of the pressure of the opponent, not the intention when stepping up the pitch. So playing in the Eredivisie engrains players with the attitude that, when playing for the Orange team, sets us apart from other nations for decades now. Do you really think we, as a soccer nation would have the impact for decades on if we had the philosophy/attitude of the Belgians/French/English?
    And that is where the exodus at 16 hurts us. In the first place the quality of the EPL academies is not in sync with our kids to develop well and the mentality/attitude of the English/foreign teams lack what is present in the Dutch league. Our talents playing in their formative years in those environments pose a direct threat to our football soul and thus the uniqueness that made us thrive despite being not bigger than the London population.
    That's what makes me angry and curse the EPL parasites. Not just the profiting of my clubs efforts and work on the talents in the academy. But especially the negative impact on the Orange team.

Winoman repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-states-national-team-next-step-a7839241.html

Snip:
    The life of a Chelsea loanee: Matt Miazga looking for the next step after making history with Vitesse Arnhem
    Exclusive: So far 23 Blues players have been loaned out to Vitesse since 2010 and Miazga spoke to The Independent on what it is like away from Stamford Bridge

The 2016/2017 season was one of firsts for Matt Miazga and Vitesse Arnhem.

For Chelsea’s young American centre-back, it marked the first time he had ever lived on his own. For the Dutch football club, it marked the club’s first major trophy in its 125-year existence.

The Independent spoke with Miazga, who is currently in the United States competing in the Gold Cup with the national team.

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *looks back at old post*

Says to self, "Wow, I'm an asshole."

Sorry bout that. You usually come across pretty pretty friendly so that was definitely undeserved. All I meant to say was that Chelsea makes money even after spending, and me including Lukaku was so no one unfairly double counted him against Man U.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Damn he's getting a lot of media articles about his situation at Chelsea

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  23. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not innocent on that front either. That is why I said usually. I was two or three whiskeys in when I read your initial post, so you did make me go back and make sure I wasn't crazy. And I still didn't fully get it.

In any event, I am pretty friendly except to maybe 2 posters, but I put them on ignore 2 weeks ago. So I'm enjoying quite the purple patch these days.

freisland repped this.
  24. KickballWizard

Jun 11, 2013
    Is Miazga expected to leave the National Team after the group stage to join pre-season training with Chelsea until a loan deal or is he sticking at the Gold Cup while a loan is worked out?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Beat me to it! I was gonna say "don't mind Midas, he coherent when he's sober - or so we've been told!" Ha.