Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Decent chance he's also better paid already (I really don't know) and I'm going to guess will have a better upside earning potential as 21 year old Chelsea signing than 21 year old NY player.

Barring injury, my prediction is MM will have more caps and greater over-career earnings on his current path than Zimmerman will.

2. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to compare Zimmerman and Miazga. They are very different players and I like both a lot. I think both will have roles on the national team in the future.

Zimmerman is better in the air than Miazga by a large margin. Zimmerman can dominate the aerial game and is a threat on set pieces. He's pretty good with the ball at his feet although Miazga has an edge there.

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    While MM is not yet at HSV. And while HSV has not yet been relegated with MM putting in a stellar season there, let's look at what has happened to some defenders on relegated teams in top leagues for fun (since nothing is going on in the world of soccer and I have a pile of work on my desk, so this is VERY important all of a sudden...)
    EPL 2016 relegated clubs:
    Norwich:
    Good: Martin Olsson to Swansea 4.6 mill (Jan signing after 1/2 season in Champs)
    Newcastle:
    Good: Janmaat to Watford 8.9 mill (7.5 lbs reported as well)
    Bund relegated clubs
    Good: Neidermeyer to Freiburg free
    Hannover
    Good: Marcello to Besiktas 2 mill (winter '15-16)
    Good: Sakai to Marseille Free

Obviously, none of this means anything save that it is possible to get a nice or at least OK transfer away from a relegating club, even if the club is terrible.

Ok, guess I have to work now...

Suyuntuy repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This might impact Miazga to HSV..................................?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, I can.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/05/mls-best-xi-revealed-who-was-best-each-position-2016
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/11/29/2015-mls-best-xi-revealed-10-first-time-selections-get-nod
    Any info supporting your striker claim is welcome.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seemed to be a time when they actually possessed the ball well, and created chances. Right after they acquired that Brazillian CM. I didn't watch many games toward the end of the year when it went off the rails again, so I'm not sure what changed.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3382 Jazzy Altidore, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Hedges as the best CB? You can't make that claim until you seem hi compete against higher level opposition. I'm not saying it is completely impossible for an MLS player to be our top CB at any given time (See Besler, Matt), but to make this conclusion without a relevant sample size is far-fetched.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #3383 butters59, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    That's why I say "arguably". After wasting call ups on inferior players we don't know where Hedges stands relatively to Cameron, Brooks or Omar.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or Ream for that matter. I'd like to see him in action, but we are so deep at CB it is tough to see him staking out significant minutes.

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    An essential move. Papadopalous is a tough, no-frills CB of the warrior variety whose footballing intelligence is often underrated. He's only 25, but has accumulated over 100 BL games despite repeated knee troubles. Him and Marvaj joining in January was fundamental to HSV's survival: the defence started to work as a unit and the whole team moved about 10 metres up the field.

With Papadoupalous and Marvaj staying, there'll be a few wise heads to show Matt the ropes and they'll still need a third CB, since Djouru and Ashton Gotz are being released and the only other CB has spent the the entire season with the reserves and is a) already 23 and b) out of contract at the end of the month.

There are going to be places to fill. Whether it'd be better than going back to Vitesse is another matter; they still need a midfield and another striker, even if Bobby stays.

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reason to believe Bobby will not stay at this point?

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Some german lang internet "news repeaters" still repeating possible Wood to Koln rumor fwiw

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Btw, dunno if its in the thread but a long article supposedly posted today from Hamburg MoPo has some purported bobby info:

Some hilights (sorry, I know some, maybe all of this has been noted in the thread, I admit to not going back through.)

http://www.mopo.de/sport/hsv/poker-...4&utm_medium=articleclickhsv&utm_source=hsv24

Bobby Wood changed agents in March to Volker Struth who helps HSV investor Kühne scout talent. Struth knows every contract in Hamburg - and knows Wood is underpaid compared to teammates.
    Wood's old contract is 1.5 million euros. Lasogga, for example, gets 3.4 million euros. If Wood accepts 1 year extension salary goes to three million.
    Wood could get similar from Koln but is not "just about money." He could be convinced to stay if reinforecments are brought in, but time is running out as Koln are pushing for decision.

That's the basic summary, all of which except the agent stuff I think I've read here, fwiw.

(crap, just realized this was the MM thread and Wood was folded in due to HSV rumor. Sorry folks... I'll post on Wood thread too.)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Decent list. It's still hard to stomach having Yanks Abroad playing for crappy clubs that are hard to watch for longer than 10 minutes.

freisland repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pumped up a bit by his home club, but he did impact his loan club with his play. He played on the right all his time w RBNY. So, a switch to the left would take time. A loan back to. vitesse would not hurt. A crappy club like Hamburg, on the other hand... He has to go to a 3man back with a decent midfield.

17. Well, Valeri Qazaishvili leaves Vitesse. The Georgian international joins San Jose Earthquakes.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    See, Vitesse is a launching pad to better leagues!

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what was his season rating while at Vitesse? like was he among their better performers last season? and how did he compare among other center-backs in the Eredivisie?

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    FWIW some random musings from the interwebs:
    Squawka "performance score" 402 (seems a bit low to me, but not insanely - saying he was basically in the vdWerff/Kruiswijk ranges seems right)
    (Other defenders for contrast: Kashia 796 (highest on team); van der Werff 357; LB Kruiswijk 416; Buttner 39 - the rest of Arnhem's Defenders have negative scores.)
    Using Squawka across the league, some high rated defenders: (and remembering MM is younger than most all these guys and it was his first year in the league.)
    PSV's Moreno (top # for PSV 1005)
    PSV's Isimat-Miran 840 (#3 for PSV)
    PSV's Aria 789 (#4 for PSV)
    PSV's 5th highest rated defender Jetro Williams got a 436, Brenet a 368 and Schwaab 340
    Ajax #1 player defender Sanchez (also 21 yo) 1087
    Ajax Veirgever 884
    Veltman 848
    Sinkgraven 496
    Reidwald 482
    de Ligt 264

Whoscored's ratings actually line about the same:
    Kashia again Vitesse's best player: 7.23
    #7 vdWerff just ahead of MM: 6.91
    #8 MM basically same as Maikel: 6.88
    #10 Kruisjwik also basically tied: 6.83
    rest of Vitesse defense spread out below these 4
    Ajax:
    Veltman 7.70
    Sinkgrave 7.34
    Sanchez 7.31
    Viergever 7.21
    Riedwalk 6.96
    PSV:
    Aria 7.37
    Moreno 7.19
    Isimat7 7.10
    Willems 7.09
    Brenet 7.03
    Hendrix 6.79

Oddly, I haven't found a Dutch "end of year" list. Places like BNDeStem rate every player every game throughout the season, but a quick look at a few sights and I don't see any kind of year-end tabulation. Then again, I'm only half-looking.

Basically the ratings I'm seeing pretty much line up with what it looked like over the season. MM for sure not out of place once he found his legs, and easily able to keep up at Vitesse (I think if he stayed he's better than Kruiswijk, who is really going to play LB anyway, and would eventually beat out vdWerff, but maybe not for every or even most starts early on.)

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't Squawkas numbers an overall performance score anyways? I don't think it's based on per 90 stats.

22. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga was narrowly below being rated Vitesse's 2nd best starter by Whoscored. You can't compare starters to backups w/ their system because there is a volume component they don't adjust on a per minute basis for you, and Miazga had a bunch of bench appearances when he was trying to break into the starting lineup, skewing his number low.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So the rave reviews for his performances in 2017 are well warranted?

do you guys think he will be on the 2018 roster?

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think he got "raves" as much as "solid young player who was not out of place and clearly can contribute." But yes, as I've posted more than once, he's basically as good as vdW, for the most part, esp given vdW is an Ered vet. MM proved to be solid and able to learn/adapt. Both bode well. But let's not turn his year into "rave" reviews. That's not exactly correct.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's a DP at San Jose but I wonder how this move might affect his role with his NT if any at all