Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Would he be paid more if he got on loan to a bigger club? Or would the salary pretty much be the same with perhaps Chelsea paying less or more of his wages while on loan?

Starman* repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    While obviously in general terms Bund is upgrade from Ered and the argument will be "better attackers!" I would argue it won't help his game much unless HSV really changes their style of play. They look like US-in-Azteca most every game I watched. At Vitesse, even if MM only gets 15-20 full games, he will continue to be expected to develop a more well rounded game. I think the guy knows how to frantically defend and launch clearances to Wood. Be better if he found a team that played some midfield passing.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #3353 butters59, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    That's exactly why Woods was valuable for both teams;). NT was actually playing that by design while HSV was just a shitty team. Also against HSV. Won't learn much and as a young loan CB will be scapegoated.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had a good run in the middle of the year, including the strong Pokal run they made, and played some decent ball. Once they lost at home to Darmstad it seemed their confidence went completely to shit and they reverted to garbage ball.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSV or Ajax would probably be better for his career. A solid season at either club would get him labeled as a top prospect ready to move on to a very good club. Even though HSV is in a better league, a solid season there could easily still result in relegation. That stink doesn't easily wash off.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I can't claim to have seen nearly every game, but for the 8 - 10 or so I saw there really was surprising lack - willful disregard actually - of the midfield. I remember guys passing out of bounds with no pressure more than once. Long balls to Wood without anyone even looking for Holtby. Not sure it's a the place for MM to be. Vitesse is a better option in my book. Salary is the same. Sure, if MM plays the valiant Jim Bowie and saves the Alamo from relegation, his could up his Q, but I doubt it ups his game.

largegarlic repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    This reasoning makes no sense to me.... a young player/prospects fortunes aren't tied to their clubs standing... it's based on their individual performances and showings...

Jordan Pickford just this past season was the goalkeeper for a terrible Sunderland team and was then purchased for 30 million pounds..

I'm not sure where I fall regarding which team/league I'd like to see Matt go to (there are a lot of things to consider) but fear of Hamburg being bad and being relegated negatively impacting his value/future prospects doesn't make sense to me.

If he goes to Hamburg and personally plays well and his team sucks he will be fine.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree the reasoning isn't strong but group failure can tar individual fortunes, justly or not.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Going to Hamburg (& getting playing time) is significantly better than sitting on the bench at Chelsea.

Just so we're all on the same page, Hamburg finished 14th in the Bundesliga in a huge mid-table pileup. Yes, they weren't far from the relegation zone. They also were only 5 points away from being top half of the table.

Hamburg was also the club reportedly after Walker Zimmerman...........................

[Edit: That was Hannover. Stuttgart also has been connected to Walker.]

That's an interesting question. Who would you rather acquire? Walker Zimmerman or Matt Miazga.

10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well one is a loan the other permanent. Ideally most teams would rather buy than loan but it always comes down to money. Most loanees are more talented than the player they could buy themselves. It's fair to say Miazga is ahead of Zimmerman because he's already proven he can play in a foreign league and excel. If a club has other holes to fill a loan makes sense. If a club is in need of a "franchise" CB then buying makes sense. No two teams are alike.

11. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't necessarily disagree that Miazga is better than Zimmerman, I don't agree that, given his limited minutes, Miazga has proven that he excels in the Netherlands.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Also to note, though, is that HSV had a 5 point finish in their last 3 games. While even dropping all 5 would not have been enough to drop them below terminally poor Ingolstadt, 2 of those games were to the two teams below HSV not relegated. Losing to either Mainz or simply tying wolfs would have left them in 16th. They had a league 2nd worst -28 GD and only Darmstadt scored less goals, so it's easier to argue that HSV managed to eek out a 14th finish than it is to argue they should have been top 10. And the eyeball test cofirms the stats in this case. They were really poor. They spent 10 weeks in the relegation zone. Never got higher than 14th.

Now, being a defensive mess lets a player like MM come in and be the hero, and I agree it won't hurt his rep if he plays ok, I just don't think it does much to refine his game.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm not convinced that Miazga's "ahead" because he played for a 5th place Eredevisie team (31 points back from the league champion. yikes) while Zim played for the MLS Supporter's Shield winner.

I'm not saying he isn't better. I just don't buy this league to league argument.
    Bruce Arena has had very complimentary things to say about Zim.

Miazga is considerably younger than Zimmerman, which does mean something in terms of value. Zim is 24. Matt is 21.

14. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course Miazga also started for an MLS Supporters' Shield winner when he was 19 and 20.

15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and was one of the best cb's in the league, like Zim is now. Actually, Miazga's 7.5 WS rating there tops all of Zimmerman's by a fair margin. He had all of the league's strikers just about in his pocket. That's the obvious comeback and argument for Miazga.

Miazga also didn't just play in the Dutch League. By the end he was a starter, and in that role he narrowly got beat out for best WhoScored rating on Vitesse. European leagues are also much more top heavy. And not for nothing, but the Eredivisie is still a little better league on the whole than MLS.

Zimmerman could still end up translating better internationally and at higher level clubs in the end, but the arguments right now are considerably more on the side of Miazga.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug..............I just think all of this "Player A won this and that for a team that ended up in position X in league Y and therefore is better than Player B with a different set of variables" doesn't work a lot of the time.

We can say European Leagues are top heavy. My opinion is that many Euro leagues are really mediocre outside of the top several teams. If you take out the top few teams that finished way above the rest in the Eredevise (huge gap in points from Feyenoord, Ajax, and PSV to the rest).................I'm personally not convinced its better than MLS. THat, however, is a completely unproveable opinion. We'll never know. I think the same of the Portuguese league, for instance.

17. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His salary he negotiated with Chelsea has to be paid in full, whether its by Chelsea or the loan club. I doubt that Hamburg is willing to pay more than Chelsea pays him, but he's probably getting a pretty hefty salary already.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been en fuego in my American fantasy matchmaking attempts lately, so I'll state them now as if they are facts: Matt will eventually be headed to Hertha Berlin on loan w/ a 10 million dollar buy option to potentially replace fellow American Brooks or to Americanophiles Werder Bremen to shore up their leaky back line.

19. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga for sure. I'm a big Dallas homer and a Zimmerman fan - Walker is a quality MLS prospect. But, as has been pointed out, people forget how excellent Miazga was as a teenager in MLS. He's more athletic than Walker, and has a relatively successful year in a quality European league under his belt. Better right now and more upside. Miazga has the tools to be a top class CB.

ussoccer97531, Deeneaus and adam tash repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't follow MLS but how good is Zimmerman or Hedges? Are they credible NT defenders?

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Hedges is arguably the best American CB. With zero experience playing with anyone on NT defense. Thanks Jurgen.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh? What other matches did you predict? I didn't see the Wolfsburg deal coming, and I don't recall any soothsaying regarding DWill's Huddersfield move...;)

For me, I think the Dutch league is fun to watch, so having an American there is nice. I'd love an American success story at Ajax or PSV, because those guys are always in Euro competitions, and I'll get a chance to watch them play with English commentary! Not to mention, as someone already pointed out, the exposure is huge at those clubs. If Aron Jo', Jozy Altidore, and Michael Bradley can make the jump from AZ/AZ/Heerenveen to Bundesliga/EPL/Bundesliga respectively, then I can only suspect that performing at the absolute top of the Eredivisie could yield mid-table EPL interest, or perhaps Europa League Bundesliga or Serie A interest?

23. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you could argue that. You'd have no evidence, and a mountain of evidence from American CB's with dozens of quality starts each, but you could argue that.

Technically, I'm arguably the best American striker. I don't have any caps because I ranted about firing JK after Guatemala on BigSoccer. Thanks Jurgen...

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    HSV plays such an ugly brand of football, one cannot but feel it's unfair they've not been relegated yet.

It's not a happy feeling to have while watching more than one Yank playing for them. It was bad enough with Wood alone.

25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Yes, but Pickford was a truly outstanding GK in a terrible Sunderland side, who stood out all the more by being so good while surrounded by such awfulness.

In addition, his game has a number of features that are rare in the English game generally, and almost unknown among English GKs: he is genuinely comfortable with the ball at his feet and his distribution is exceptional, both for good passing and the speed, distance and accuracy when he kicks the ball out of his hands. On top of that, he's English so the hype machine adds a few million to his value.

Of course he'd only be there for on loan, so the stigma would be lessened, but Matt would have to play on the level of the second coming of Baresi or Maldini to completely escape it.