Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm not their Manager. Logic doesn't figure into Chelsea. :p

2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga goes the distance in a 4-2 win. Third win in a week for Vitesse.

3. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If Espanyol is still a possibility for a loan next season I imagine he'll start the preseason in London. Regardless Vitesse may not be the only club interested. There could be a better loan out there and staying the first week or two of preseason with Chelsea is not a bad thing. Having Conte see him in person means way more than an extra week training in a perhaps premature loan back to where he's already proving to be good enough.

I'm not saying going back to Vitesse is bad but it may not be the best move possible and a couple of weeks with his parent club to secure the best move is hardly a bad thing.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. You admit it.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And what about it, bub?

Jazzy Altidore and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  6. VitesseCFC

VitesseCFC Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arnhem
    Club:
    SBV Vitesse
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    An easy win against Heerenveen tonight. Miazga had Reza (17 goals this season) in his back pocket all night long.

7. VitesseCFC

VitesseCFC Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arnhem
    Club:
    SBV Vitesse
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Our friend Friesland is very quiet tonight by the way ;-)

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I heard rumour that 'veen intentionally sandbagged today so when they play vitesse in the playoffs the germans will be unprepared... but it could be just a rumour...

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    About a loan extension, that seems a bot odd to me. It would seem he shulld return to his parent club for preseason. It seems this loan has gone well, but the question of whether there was additional benefit of sending him back, would need to be answered by Chelsea staff at Chelsea training.

Who knows who might need a CB in the fall? I would think the general idea is to find loanees a spot at the highest level they still have a shot at playing.

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think it's extremely unlikely Chelsea bring Miazga back next season. At the moment, we already have 6 CBs including Christensen for 3 spots (assuming Terry is gone).

I do think it likely we'll evaluate him with the squad for at least part of the preseason - that's typical.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. VitesseCFC

VitesseCFC Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arnhem
    Club:
    SBV Vitesse
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But we won't play the play-offs. We are going to win the KNVB Cup ;)

Gacm32, ChuckMe92, Pl@ymaker and 3 others repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think it's extremely unlikely Matt will ever suit up for Chelsea in league play.

Chelski has the funds to get the type of player they like: big name, & with a solid reputation.

Matt's never going to have the required hype.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    which begs the question again of why in the world did they sign him?

At the very least he can show his grand-kids photos of having played for them. Kids usually find that impressive.

14. And that's precisely the stupidity for youngsters to sign with Chelsea or their academy. The best you can hope for is to become merchandise. But if that's the case why not keep it in your own hands and look elsewhere in the first place.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, his agent was the master of turbid deals, Kia Joorabchian. Matt may have been a collateral.

At any rate, the loan has gone well and he may end up playing in a good league yet. I wouldn't mind another Ered loan, or one to Ligue 1.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you mean *again* as he's already played twice in EPL.

17. AD Sportwereld rating: Vitesse - SC Heerenveen 4-2 Miazga 7,5! Again a good number to get!

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RB Leipzig still makes a lot of sense, with a loan to buy, or straight up transfer, at let's say, 7-8 million Euros. That way, Chelsea would at least have made a small profit in the end. AFA Leipzig goes, they bid for him out of MLS when they were in the 2. Bundesliga but likely to get promoted. He comes from the Red Bull system where they have a similar style. I don't think their cb pairing is the strength of their team. One of them is almost 32. And Red Bull puts an emphasis on athleticism and fitness, so that more translate to a couple years older there.

Yes, in the end, the loan has seemingly worked out well enough. But he needed one of the starting center back pair to suffer an injury for that to occur by him actually getting a 2nd/much of a chance. Hard to bank on that sort of thing happening beforehand and not something you want to root for unless you're "Spector's mom".

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Except the number of teams that have their CB pair go through out the season injury-free is probably pretty low. If you go only to places you are certain to play, you end up playing in podunk. Some of us were hoping for this loan from the jump. Why would Leipzig be any safer? It wouldn't. And he would not have the luxury of a bit of development.

NO ONE, or hardly no one get guaranteed PT. It's silly to think otherwise. At this point this loan is working out better than most folks hoped or even imaged. Big bank. Good PT. Decent league. Challenging but not over his head. He could have Brek Shea-ed, but he didn't. This season will only open the door to an interesting option next year. Chelsea is still really a bridge to far, I'd wager, but MM has done himself no harm, and probably a bit of good this year (and cashed a nice check while doing it.)

20. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Another w vittesse would b fine. He's still very young. Stay injury free and kill it again next year and they will all come knocking. If I'm not mistaken, he only played two seasons w rbny. So, two where he is is great.

edcrocker repped this.
  21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind if he went back for another season on loan with them but I'd rather a move to a better league.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    if he can't stay at Vitesse, I hope he can find a nice club in the Bundesliga.

Continue the Yank in Germany gravy train.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    BMG makes sense with Christensen heading back...clearly the two clubs are talking to each somewhat regularly.

24. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2924 thedukeofsoccer, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Yes, I feel like he's already virtually conquering the league/side, given, according to some ratings, he's been their best player regardless of position as a starter. Anti-climactic and potentially stagnating would be to return to the same situation then. He'd at least need to move up the ranks in the league and play in the UCL. But that only applies to 1 or 2 clubs, whose interests will likely be in other directions.

Conversely, you can name a number of Bundesliga situations that would be plausible. I mentioned RB Leipzig. Others mention BMG. Hamburg's defense sucks, but they are a former big club, with potential, who may be back on the ascendancy a bit, and he'd have a friend to ease the transition. Werder has one of the better offenses in the league, but one of the worst defenses. Jurgen also clearly has connections there with all the Americans they've shown interest in. Now that the club seems more stable, that looks like a viable option. Jurgen also has connections at Stuttgart, who will probably be promoted. Between his form, their greater willingness to play youth/integrate, and the Klinsmann connection; that seems the logical next destination.

25. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt they'll be interested in him. It's too big of a jump for Miazga. BMG are not happy about losing Christensen and want a permanent deal.