Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. VitesseCFC

VitesseCFC Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arnhem
    Club:
    SBV Vitesse
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No not yet. Not even close to being fully match fit

Suyuntuy and freisland repped this.
  2. VitesseCFC

VitesseCFC Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Arnhem
    Club:
    SBV Vitesse
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    850328689971798017 is not a valid tweet id

850328932041854976 is not a valid tweet id

850329546360541184 is not a valid tweet id

850329896924700674 is not a valid tweet id

850330413654568960 is not a valid tweet id

Tom Collingsworth, russ, Gorky and 14 others repped this.
  3. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Adapt and overcome. It's the American way. I see MM improving and having time and a high ceiling in his bag. After watching the BL, I think he'd be a plus on many teams. The PL is such a battle, it seems like so much technicality gets lost. Or maybe seasoning is always required. MM is gonna be OK.

4. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Toby Alderweireld might be the best CB in the world right now in part because of his amazing ball skills. If Miazga can pick up even half of that because of his time at Vitesse then the Dutch club should take a bow because they've done him and their reputation a heck of a job. Either way I don't think there's any argument that Matt isn't a better player for taking this almost impossible route at Chelsea.

I don't think his loan there puts him that much closer to 1st team minutes at Chelsea but it has taken him closer to first team minutes at a top 5 league club team next season. What more can anyone ask for a young CB trying to climb the ladder of pro soccer?

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Chelsea are always going to buy world class.

A better route is the very player you mention, Toby Alderweireld. He went from Ajax, to Atletico (rode the bench to the tune of 12 appearences in 2 years), to Southampton on loan where he showed incredibly well, to being purchased as a highly promising 25 year old by Tottenham, to a world class player who I'm sure will get offered by a super club this summer.

He's got his base, now he's got to prove it against better competition, and if he does that he'll get his shot to prove that he's an elite talent.

russ repped this.
  6. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope I'm not confusing you with @feyenoordsoccerfan but gotta give you credit, I believe this is nearly identical to what you said at the start of the season when commenting on Matt's game.

You also urged patience to people who were freaking out about a lack of minutes at the time. Said that if Matt approached the season with the right competitive mentality and improved on his weaknesses, that things would probably work out.

Anderson11 and VitesseCFC repped this.
  7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andreas Christensen is coming back to Chelsea after the season and should be able to plug right into their defense

8. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I would also think Kalas is ahead of him in the pecking order. I really think that if Matt could get a loan like Christensen got, 2 years at a mid-tier top 5 league club he'd be ready for a spot at Chelsea or at least to be sold and find his own permanent home.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    With the Third Party Ownership Ban passed by FIFA last year, Miazga, with many others, left Kia Joorabchian's MSI and moved to other agents. Matt now works with Casey Wasserman, a guy noted mainly for bringing players to the MLS: Gerrard, Robbie Keane, Sacha Kljestan, Jermaine Jones, Tim Howard, Shea, Aurelien Collin, Stefan Frei, etc. are players whose move to MLS he brokered.

WMG (Wasserman Media Group) big names in Europe were Owen and Jack Wilshere, but they've moved on. Basically, right now, 90% of the players they represent are in the MLS or moving there soon (like Guzan). The only two big names are the Belgians Origi and Chadli.

10. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Vitesse wants to bring Miazga back next season, I think he should do it. Could he possibly get interest from a bigger club? Maybe, but the stability/familiarity of Vitesse for another season makes sense, especially since it appears that he is actively improving in Arnhem.

Plus, the current thread title is one of the all-time greats. We need to keep it going.

11. Combined effort:) Vitessefan with the analysis and me pointing the way to go.
    Yup, YA followers tend to what I called " to hit the panic button" far too fast. I told YA followers to be patient with Sacha as he would be fine, when the posters were shedding tears about imminent failure. Apparently Miazga took advice at heart and the result is several appearances in teams of the week!

Anderson11, Winoman and chrome_vapors repped this.
  12. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well to be fair he also got lucky with an injury to Van der Wurff (sp?). If he's not out Matt may not get his chance.

LouisianaViking07/09 and VitesseCFC repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur. Stay at Vitesse. Consistency is the best for him. Rather than returning to Chelsea for pre-season and warming the bench for 3 matches and then shipped off to some relegation bait team in La Liga.

14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he return to Chelsea?

15. When luck throws a chance at you, you still have to take it and make it work. So thumbs up for him!
    It's nice to see how that gloomy pessimistic mood from november has changed:)

16. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As they own his contract, he goes where they tell him to go.

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I glad to see the lad is doing well. I never rated him much, but I would be happy to say I was wrong about him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Reza up front for 'veen. Odegaard on bench.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Because the club might order him to. Only to train with them before sending him out again. Far better if his agent can make the case (along with Vitesse) to push for another year-long loan.

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that too. But he certainly won't be there to start the season nor would he make the bench

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ???

Seems quite likely they'd bring him back and assess him. Have him train. Use him during pre-season. Just as soon as the season start they'd loan him or have him reinforce the squad just before the transfer window closes (and send him off to a Bundesliga or La Liga club).

Would make good sense for him to request another stay at Vitesse. If ain't broke, don't fix it.

23. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they have no plans for him next season why would they need to. Set up the loan early. Let him develop with Vitesse

24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    They have a year long loan at Vitesse from which they presumably are assessing him. They could easily decide he's not ready for Chelsea yet based on that assessment and not waste time bringing him in for the preseason.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coaches want to see players with their own eyes in their training environment. I could definitely see him joining Chelsea for preseason. They could still be working out loan plans at the same time.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.