Stadium Wants/Needs/Must Haves

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with buying a $5 beer at Paul Brown Stadium is that you have to watch the Bengals.

LainfordExpress and kgilbert78 repped this.
  2. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And unless prices have gone up (perhaps they have) that was the closest garage to the arena. It's $10 if you're willing to walk about 100 yards. $5 if you're willing to walk a bit further, or at least it used to be not so long ago.

3. shoplifter

shoplifter Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I went to Rio Tinto a few years ago, they had a pretty good selection. A decent size burrito was something like $8.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, we definitely need to find the middle ground. I'm sure that burrito here would be $15.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a crazy story:

The Schottenstein Center has new food options this year, including a $6 cup where you can refill it at a couple fountation stations on one side of the arena.

Another new option is a "dollar dog" which is no doubt a miniature hot dog, but whatever. I ordered one off their kiosks and was waiting and waiting for it to be produced. Eventually, the worker said that they don't cook them at the stands, but they have to bring them up.

It reminded me of their old Buck-a-Brat promotions they'd do on occasion, where you'd have to wait in separate lines and they'd bring up a tray or two at a time.

In either situation, missing a good portion of the game seemed to be the only choice.

This time around, I got my money back.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know under which group in the organization this would fall, but the Crew need someone who can deliver the goods with hype videos, pregame video packages, etc.

TheUltra repped this.
  7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should hire the person that does it for Buckeye Football

TheUltra and Flyer Fan repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure we *need* hype videos, especially for every game, but it's definitely the trend.

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    It's almost 2019. High school football stadiums have video boards that 15-20 years ago would be the envy of many professional sports stadiums. I think your average sports fan expects high-quality videos at their events. Whatever term you want to use - hype videos, montages, entrance videos, whatever - it's pretty much expected at "major" sporting events. From a game-day operations perspective, I think it's something the Crew organization needs to improve.

10. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back the video of Crew Cat flying through Columbus!!!!

Kryptonite, Flyer Fan and TKyle repped this.
  11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we drop the wrecking ball on a cartoon of PSV??

12. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The stadium is going to be more of a "Chevy" than a Cadillac, just FYI. But, I think they know the things we can and cannot live without. Let's be realistic, though, they aren't going to spend 500 mil on a stadium. It's going to be in the 120-150 mil range. I would expect it to be similar to Orlando's stadium.

CrewV Man, odave, soccerncbus and 6 others repped this.
  13. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    That's an upgrade over the body kitted fiero we've been driving for the last twenty years. The plastic has worn through and it's time to get something that's reliable and current.

14. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they envision the front office and training ground to be on the same location?

I really like the idea of the supporters' pub on site.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I wasn't referring to stuff like this, which is great. I'm talking about the stuff released on YouTube and social media for games like OSU v Akron or whatever. Do we really need to build "hype" three days in advance for a random Columbus vs Charleston USOC game? I just think a lot of these videos are ridiculous.

In my book, the bumper/teaser videos are a different beast.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    No rep for you!

Is there still going to be public financing for it or did that fall through? Nobody expected 500 mil but 200-250 seemed reasonable, especially if the public was contributing 100 mil of it.

Tobias C, Draghignazzo and TKyle repped this.
  17. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I enjoy the conversation about what a new stadium needs. With the insight that it may not be a $250M+ project, I asked myself about the MLS stadiums I've been to, which ones were my favorite, and what I liked most. I think what I noticed most was the ability to get there easily and efficiently (transportation, parking, etc.), the non-game experience (concourses, bathrooms, merchandise), and the sight lines. Of the ones I've been to (see below), Red Bull Arena and Children's Mercy Park have stuck out as a cut above the rest.

When I see $120-150M as a target, that makes me think the design/layout could easily be great, but things such as facades or bathrooms will see more emphasis on function over decor.

*my perspective is based on visiting: Toyota Park, Children's Mercy Park, BMO Field (pre-roof/expansion), Red Bull Arena, Talen Energy Stadium, RFK, Bobby Dodd (Atlanta first year), Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Stubhub Center, Avaya Stadium, CenturyLink Field

chr1st repped this.
  18. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in my mimicking voice:

Ooooooh look at me. I've been to all these places.

19. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (That sigh when you realize someone being right means you were wrong.)

I thought including the list might help give context, but I deserve that. ;)

LainfordExpress repped this.
  20. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is MLS’s opportunity to show they are Major League instead of Minor League. Fans know the difference. We don’t expect an NFL level stadium, but a roof over the seats is different than a roof over the top 8 rows.
    If you want fans in seats, do the stadium right. If you want to be on national tv, fill the stadium. Lower ticket prices, fill the stadium, get on TV, and watch your investment grow exponentially higher than any ticket revenue will ever get you.

21. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha. you were right. I was just enjoying being an ahole.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm disappointed. It seems our new owners aren't very ambitious. If they are going cheap on the stadium, what does that mean for a top coach, good DPs, a full academy, USL or NWSL affiliates, etc? I thought at least we'd top FCC.

Wonder if the city pulled the plug on public financing?

TKyle repped this.
  23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to point out that we don't know shit about the new stadium. Nothing, Never have, really. Not one iota of real information re: what's planned. Not so much as a blurry watercolor renedering (without sparkles).

Even so, some of you got all hot and bothered (even boasted on other threads) about how our new stadium was going to be like the 8th wonder of the world, and all that shit. Based on nothing more than your masturbatory fantasies of what you wanted the stadium to be.

Dumbasses. Grow up.

Let's say it's $150M. Fine.

Is the land being donated, or does the cost of it need to come out of that $150M? We've been led to believe that the land would be donated. If true, that's not a small thing.

Re: the public contribution, we've never really had any information on what that might mean, or the size of the contribution. All we knew was "bonds" and the logical assumption that infrastructural improvements were likely to be part of the deal. But, again, if the stadium is $150M, and the city/county/state kick in a small amount and cover the transportation infrastructural improvements (which would aid transportation into/out of the Arena District, in general, not just be dedicated o the stadium), great! Means that $150M will go a lot further than it otherwise would.

Pubs, museums, helipads, whatever the hell the intelligentsia in here is imagining, chill the ******** out and wait and see what happens before you cheer, or proclaim the new owners to be cheapskates.

QuarkspaceDotCom and Groundd repped this.
  24. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    For perspective. Our current stadium was build for less than 5 times cheaper than 150 mil. And almost 4 times cheaper relative to inflation at today's rate.

Also I can't be the only one who thinks that a ton of frilly special add on that raise the price of a stadium would then have to be passed on as more expensive tickets.

Build practical

Price practical

Now sign the paper work and start selling tickets damnit! Screenshot_20181130-154850.jpeg

JB-CBUS221 and hungariansteven repped this.
  25. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    These guys are throwing in $150 million to save our team, and then another $150 million to build a stadium, and will have to throw in more $ to build our roster.

If the stadium is a bit less than the best thing ever, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I mean, I pay to go to Mapfre, with Precourt as the owner. Maybe we'll get some sweet deals on food, or ticket packages, etc., to adjust for the Chevy vs Cadillac.

Basically, I'm just thrilled we will have a better location, a better stadium, and we will get to keep the crew. The rest is just gravy. These guys know that they will need to get the casual fans out there. I think they will do well to entice those fans, and being downtown will already help.

JB-CBUS221, foozer and Kyle Crew repped this.