Stadium Wants/Needs/Must Haves

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by catfish9, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    "There's two sevens in DAK77, boys."

jairadballerina and DAK77 repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it's also partially a league thing. It'd be great if they announced who was forced of such changes. Not that they have to, but if I'm running a regional business and national corporate made me change the way my customers were treated, I'd let my customers know, so that they don't kvetch at me.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed. A dugout. :)

4. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    Acura Seats needed for the dugout

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. A "dugout" is *dug out* (the floor is below field level and you have to step down to get into it). This is at field level. The point is that the whole seating section sits up higher. You can do the same thing with a different seating arrangement (like the stuff the Crew uses).

If you could see the full picture I use for my avatar here, you'd see how high up the first row can be. Here's a different angle (note that the picture includes Mrs KG (in blue) and I (in black with white shoulders) directly in front of the rail in the lowest section (go straight down from the "n" in Willkommen")). Here it's about 5-6 ft. Eight would be better (and good for field security). 16042005borussiagegenmainz37.jpg Ohio State had done something similar when they renovated the stadium (before, the first couple of rows (which used wooden chairs) were at field level, though with a low (1-2 feet) wall between the seats and the field).
    [​IMG]

6. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    So when Gyassi Scores he can do the Mapfre Leap!

kgilbert78 repped this.
  7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming, of course, that the naming rights would be the same. I'm betting on a much higher power sponsor for this. Not that I don't thank Mapfre for their support.

8. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was told by my rep that it was a decision by Gregg. I know it pissed some people off since they could no longer see the entire field and some even moved

9. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes, 3G was tired of the opposing team being able to be in the sideline AR's ear all game long. So he had the benches swapped. While I understand some were upset that their seats suddenly were behind the opponents bench instead of Crew's and some asked to move.

I can't understand this new scenario where this change suddenly somehow impacted view...both benches had the same weather shelter and provided the same view of the field from the stands. Could and should it be better in the new stadium, you bet? Did this change have any impact outside of who was sitting on which bench? No.

Dan Milton repped this.
  10. patricksp

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They never had the weather shelters always up, they only put them out when it was going to rain, My father was in a wheelchair and we would sit behind the benches and he wanted to sit there with out the sun in his eyes. They really don't have many places for people in Wheelchairs to sit. If you sit there now the weather protection REALLY blocks your view and I think the fist 2 rows in the stands.

11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just had a great idea - integrate Solar Roadways panels into the design! Utilize them for pedestrian flow/control, parking lots, etc. This will help with power generation as well!

12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything I have read about the Solar Roadways is that it is scam. They don't work nearly as well as advertised, don't take damage either and they are way more expensive.
    Simple solar panels will work better, last longer and be cheaper.

13. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #238 CybrSlydr, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Apparently you've been reading bogus blogs.

They're on their third USDOT contract and 4th iteration of panel. They've had one public display up in Idaho and another going in in Maryland early 2019.

I encourage you to read the results from the phase 2 test.

http://www.solarroadways.com/Research/Research

14. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes because the company claims are always accurate. Hey Tony Precourt was always committed to Columbus too. Read the press release. They even created a "For Columbus" kit.

https://interestingengineering.com/solar-roadways-engineering-failure

Let's see solar roadways are 10x more extensive, produce 100th of the power, the LEDs don't work, it catches on fire and doesn't melt snow or ice. And that is when they are new and have not been driven on.

15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you've been following the process from the beginning, there were answers for every single one of your complaints.

Etc.

We'll agree to disagree.

16. patricksp

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this on the Saved the Crew thread about Tottenham Hotspur and their new Stadium, I hope they pay a visit and get some Ideas. I like they have their own MicroBrewery, would be nice to have a local brewery rent the space and make beer there.

Tobias C and CybrSlydr repped this.
  17. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn’t look like Wembley

LainfordExpress repped this.
  18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They've been using Wembley while their new stadium was under construction. I don't know if naming rights have been sold yet but it seems to be known as part of the Northumberland project at the moment.

Tobias C repped this.
  19. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    On 105.7 this morning, The Doc said the new stadium will have a capacity of 20-25,000. If it's in the lower end of that range, it will be built with the ability to expand.

TracieB and Tobias C repped this.
  20. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He was a lot more descriptive about it on the WCOL interview. Roof, steps leading up with a lowered field.

Tobias C and Draghignazzo repped this.
  21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is such great news. That was my "one thing" that has worried me about this whole thing. It seems they are aware. It's tough because we have no idea what this market is capable of. Percent capacity is an important metric for so many reasons. But being capable of selling 1-5k more tickets makes you a lot more money each season and drives up your sponsorship dollars as well.

They were forced to fast track this. No time to take stock and ease into the development of the new digs. They're going to break ground in 6 months if not sooner. I'm so glad they're planning for 3 years and 20+ years from now.

All we do is win!

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tired of winning

23. animere

animere Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 15, 2015
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Alneri

Alneri Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 3, 2018
    With him and Blank being buddies, I hope he noted how well this worked in ATL. Though I am not sure what Browns stadium pricings are like.

LainfordExpress repped this.
  25. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's some great coverage of all the benefits that have come from this innovative approach to pricing