Stadium Update: "A portion of the 2014 season"

Discussion in 'Virginia Cavalry' started by kenntomasch, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Actually I would not have used the Washington Redskins as an example, as DC is not a state. Though DC is it's own entity separate from any state, it is also known that its area was once part of Maryland, and today it is still considered to be partly of it, as well as Virginia (though its original territory was returned). The Redskins playing a few miles to the east of DC in Maryland proper is not an issue nor a good example of a team in one state playing in another.

If the Virginia Calvary play within DC there shouldn't be an issue either in terms of the name and location. There are a handful of places that can accommodate them until their stadium is complete.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You couldn't be more wrong. A draw of a division 2 team is that it is a more intimate local experience. The catchment area for such a team is not going to be as large as a MLS team. N. Virginians who really want to travel far to see soccer are DC United fans. Starting in a stadium outside of Northern Va will fatally cripple the team before it really begins.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  4. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    This of course is an opinion that is respected. However, Virginia is right across the Potomac from DC. If there is no place to play during the Spring in or near Ashburn that meets 5,000 and above seats, the team has to find a suitable ground. Playing near the DC area can actually create an additional fanbase that may follow the team back to their official home.

5. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I suspect you don't have any idea about how regional the DC area is and how much a chore driving around the metro area is. Soccer die-hards will do that but the Calvary certainly can't depend on them to be successful.

6. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    My guess is that MakingGoals is posting about this as some kind of test balloon to see what sort of reaction results.

7. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    You jump to many conclusions and your suspicion is vastly inaccurate. I am more than familiar with the area and I do know how things are in DC. But moving to the point of the Calvary, you first say that playing away from Ashburn would hurt their fanbase there; now new potential fans from DC can't be depended on. The truth is, the team starts next Spring and they are representing the NASL in the larger DC metropolitan area. I wish them well.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, they can open "off-Broadway," as it were, in relative obscurity, and make their big push for Loudoun folks for the fall season. Just tell them to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

9. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Again more imagination.

10. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    :)

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear if you post the same thing 3 times in the same thread all your questions will be answered. I also hear you might get carded.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let them play on the National Mall.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may get bigger crowds there. ;)

wellington repped this.
  16. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    #42 sitruc, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  18. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven Goff‏
    SoccerInsider now
    NASL expansion CavalryFC to meet again with George Mason U officials this week about temporary home venue in Fairfax

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

If the parent company can't get an independent baseball team off the ground, do you think that means it frees them up to concentrate on the soccer team? And then their CEO resigned. The whole thing has Lehigh Valley Steam written all over it.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read about this on Wiki, that was some story...thanks

22. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenn, did you see the ...

Check my pattern of posts about this abortion of a club, the best thing that could happen is they never hit the field, go away and hopefully the league got its expansion fee out of it.

23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember this other club in NASL that was supposed to start in the beginning of the season but because they weren't ready yet, they deferred to start in the 2nd half of the season. Who was that again?

24. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    You mean that team that was on hiatus for 28 years? Because they are the same team, you know ;). But I digress....

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States