Stadium proposal sites?

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Armada FC' started by JaxFC, Jul 31, 2013.

1. JaxFC

JaxFC Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Where will they put the stadium? Downtown?specifically where downtown?

I think a good spot would be for them to buy JFC academy, build a stadium on their land (they have a lot of tree space) and use JFC as their academy and practice fields(2 birds with one stone), This academy is knowns as FCSA and formally Kyx.

JFC fields are located on hodges.

2. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The plan from Mark is to have a new stadium by the 2017 season.

3. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mad Hattah repped this.
  4. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be a fantastic site. Who owns that land?

5. sportzfrk99

sportzfrk99 Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JEA and they are looking to sell it. It was just a bunch of transformers I think. Only downside is it's "brownland" or something like that so it requires all new soil and other environmental work. It's still a great location though.

6. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, I'll be honest on this one . . . I'm a CCR (Clay County Resident) and the far SW corner at that (Keystone Heights) and I'm not saying my family isn't from there or that I haven't been there several times in my life, but I'm just not as familiar with Jax geography as I should be. I lived in Orlando for years and wish I knew Duval as well as I knew Orange county.

I will say this though. I know Jacksonville is the largest city land-wise in the continental United States . . . So there should be no shortage of area to build!! That being said, I know location is key.

We are in a different situation than most major cities. Jacksonville has a county charter, which means all of Duval county is considered Jacksonville. We can build a stadium well outside of downtown that is still considered city limits, as apposed to a team like FC Dallas, which plays in Frisco TX (Which is not even in Dallas County), but the distance is comparable to what an outer city limits for Jax would be.

I'm hearing things like the Shipyards and other areas in or near downtown being tossed around. As somebody that will be coming from out of the county, I could be selfish and say I wish it was built in the Orange Park area (where there is PLENTY of land), but I'm willing to drive an extra 20-30 mins to ensure the future success of the team.

My only point is, that given the sacrifice that I'm willing to make to support the team, I hope that causal fans won't bitch and moan about it being across town instead of right next door. A good show, is a good show, regardless if it takes a few extra minutes to get there.

Mad Hattah repped this.
  7. mamitchell

mamitchell Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somewhere close to the river would be wonderful of course....the pragmatic side of me would like to repurpose dying areas. For example, Regency Mall is just about dead. Mow it down, keep the theaters and all the restaurants to the north of it. It is convenient from Southside Blvd, I295, the Matthews Bridge etc. but again, I just hate seeing neighborhoods die....

JaxFC, sportzfrk99 and Mad Hattah repped this.
  8. JT Jag

JT Jag New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest plus about this location is that there's just a ton of space without a lot of critical facilities surrounding it. That lot has more than enough space for a stadium and parking. The stadium will likely initially have a capacity of 8-12k, but there would be plenty of room for expansion if that should become necessary.

sportzfrk99 repped this.
  9. JaxFC

JaxFC Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Orange park would be a failure, there is so much traffic there already. Good luck getting to a 5-6 o' clock game without sitting in traffic for over an hour. Its part of the city with few soccer fans, you want it towards downtown or Arlington/east Arlington.

10. ChuckDzzNutz

ChuckDzzNutz Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Florida
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there's not too much traffic in the Oak Leak towards Normandy area but I really only said that in jest. Orange Park is actually Clay County. I was only pointing out that something like that would be easier for me, so I could reference that I don't care about easy and am willing to go the extra mile (or 25 in this case), just like I am hoping other fans will no matter where the stadium location ends up being.

11. JaxFC

JaxFC Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Thats so far out the city, but i feel yah

12. boa3532

boa3532 New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Club:
    Fulham FC

That is an ideal site as far as location goes. I wonder how much JEA is asking, and I wonder what estimated clean up costs would be. Those two unknowns could eliminate this land in a hurry.

13. boa3532

boa3532 New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Just a thought, was poking around and realized that the Jax Axemen of the Rugby league plays at Hodges Stadium over the summer.

Shouldn't be too big of an issue if NASL plans on continuing it's Spring / Fall schedule with the slight summer break in the middle, but it's something to be think about.

14. tmgrtl

tmgrtl New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    I am in huge favor of the SSS being built downtown, especially at the JEA site. For one, it is centrally-located being in close proximity to I-95. It is also nestled right in the San Marco area, which is home to plenty of great dining options and bars. Aardwolf Brewery would literally be a 5 minute walk from the stadium. The overlaying issue is that people have such a negative attitude about downtown -- too many decrepit buildings, homeless people, abandoned lots, etc, and we really need to change that. A new soccer stadium located close to the urban core would surely push the city in the right direction.

sportzfrk99 repped this.
  15. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  16. boa3532

boa3532 New Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Jacksonville
    Club:
    Fulham FC

Good eyes, but I do see a potential problem... according to google map the longer length is in a east-west orientation, which means the sun in the players eyes in late afternoon /early evening games.

Now the North-South orientation is 160 yards from curb to curb, if the club plays on international standard size pitch which is 100 to 110 yards, it could be done, but there wouldn't be any stands be any room for stands behind one of the goal line.

Maybe I'm missing something, cuz that is a nice find Chowda

17. soccerelvis

soccerelvis Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Jacksonville FL
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think at/near the sports complex is your best bet. You already have the infastructure in place. I think I have said it before some where, you set it up like San Antonio, Columbus or Dallas with a stage at one end then it can be used for concerts, high school football etc.

Don't know if the JEA site would work, the people in St Nicholas are already fussy and kick up a fuss when anything is happening at Metro Park on the other side of the river. Also ingress/egress may be an issue.

18. mamitchell

mamitchell Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The huge block of sand on the west-side of the Southside Connector has been sitting there forever. It looked like it was going to be developed for a while but it seemed to have stalled out years ago. The east side of the street looked essentially the same 10 years ago. Fairly convenient from 295 and Arlington Expressway and Southside Blvd. Lot's of restaurants in the neighborhood. I have no idea who owns this land. As boa pointed out, we would have the important N-S orientation. Of course, the fact that it is about 5 minutes from my house doesn't hurt.....

https://maps.google.com/?ll=30.334287,-81.55087&spn=0.0423,0.055661&t=h&z=15

19. Mad Hattah

Mad Hattah Member

Jun 7, 2000
    North Florida
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Anyone find out who owns this Dune-like area? I assume it is not for harvesting spice.

#NerdAlert

20. soccerelvis

soccerelvis Member

Apr 29, 2004
    Jacksonville FL
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there was a mixed use/shopping development planed for that area.

21. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there firm plans revealed for the Dune area? Perhaps it's not too late to suggest something? o_O

22. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can't build it there because, you know, the Spice must flow...

23. IntheStreets

IntheStreets New Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    According to Jax property records, the Dune area off Southside connector is owned by Wells Fargo. Guess they foreclosed on the developer back in 2004. I'm sure it is available but city owned property is the most likely candidate for a stadium site.

mamitchell repped this.
  24. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's called Arrakis you fraud!!!

Mad Hattah repped this.
  25. mamitchell

mamitchell Member

Jul 27, 2006