Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 1: Event on Oct 18

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just as a heads up, Riz has to take a step back from helping with the grassroots efforts for the time being. She still has the paper petitions and is of course keeping an eye on the online one, but sickness in a close family member is precluding her from spending any time on this for right now.

I'm sure she'd appreciate if you all would please keep her family in your thoughts and/or prayers.

2. MDSoccerDude

MDSoccerDude Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Owings Mills, MD
    That's the way to keep support for a stadium, put down the state where a good portion of the supporters come from.:rolleyes:

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Consider it done.

4. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    no, i've just done the one. Fenty, Keep united in DC...
    I have looked to him, Paul and RIz for guidance.
    And chico for duct tape.....

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That wasn't the passage that would make it look the worst to me. The worse passage would be:

6. RoundBallNewbie

RoundBallNewbie New Member

Aug 23, 2006
    DC in exile
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make sure to send a message to all the group members periodically, it worked wonders in the Barra group for getting people to sign. Having that reminder and link in their Inbox works way better than anything else.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    QFE.

It also doesn't hurt to ask admins of other groups to message those in their group regarding the stadium situation.

8. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Just remember that the Sunday paper has a broader reach and the Outlook section is used to address issues like this with more depth. Turn it in Friday, there's a chance you'll get that. Turn it in Monday and we've missed it. Not that I'm complaining, whatever you can do is great. Honest. Just stating the facts.

9. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    It is probably already too late for the Outlook section this Sunday. There will be opportunities to get it out there.

10. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    But not the majority.

Sincerely,

The Commonwealth of Virginia

11. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    Buddy,
    You can do whatever you want. I am far from in charge and would never want to be.
    I just wanted everyone to try to make sure that were pulling in the same direction, that's it.

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not that it matters one bit, but I suppose you have something to back up this claim?

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a thought. How about we put an end to this, right now?

Thanks.

14. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    ok Virginia sucks, thats it!
    :)

on a more serious note, how bout we put stuff in these publications?
    hill rag
    on tap

15. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Is it possible that in Virginia "the majority" means "I/me"?

16. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Moving on...

Saw this story on the news this morning. Reminder of what could potentially get in the way of a major project in Maryland.

Washington Post Metro Section
    More Funds Urged For Roads as Navy Hospital Expands

17. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Over the last few weeks, there have been at least two supportive editorials in the outlook section from residents of Ward 8. While I agree, that you don't want to come across telling them what would be best (they have Now Anacostia to do that). I think it is perfectly appropriate to ask the Mayor in a public forum, why he is neglecting a campaign promise that he made in front of thousands of voters. Not only that but citing the public statements of the Ward 8 and Ward 7 council members and the previous letters to say "yes, I live in Ward 2, but I want to see my city do right by all our residents."

Yes, there are three jurisdictions that make up the fan base for DC United, I don't think any of them represent the MAJORITY (i.e. over 50%) of the fan base in toto.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean

[​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

19. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    To get away from the silly chest-thumping, I just listened to an interview with Franchot on 'Maryland Morning' on FM 88.1.

He talked enthusiastically about the winning tradition of the team and the tax benefits to MD should they relocate there. When asked how he could justify making the request when MD faces a budget deficit, he said something along the lines of "the budget will be fixed. We need to investigate projects that will bring in money."

He talked about the growth of youth soccer and his own love for the sport. He compared it very favorably to the use of slots as a revenue enhancement strategy.

He said that his thought would be to have the stadium somewhere close to the DC beltway since the team would retain the name 'DC United' and that it was imperative that it be near public transportation. He also mentioned the need to be near transportation from Baltimore.

He mentioned that DCU was willing to pay the cost of building the stadium but was caught up in DC politics. He acknowledged that there would be infrastructure expenses, but that the tax revenue would overshadow that.

He said that the MD Stadium Authority was a way of fast-tracking the investigation process, so that the team didn't have to get bogged down as they have in DC.

He said that he has broached the subject to lawmakers and other officials and has received very positive feedback.

The interview will be available on archive on the web site fairly soon.

20. merrybee

merrybee Member+

DC United
    United States
    Nov 8, 2005
    Mayor, Simpleton
    And Voice of the Hill, good idea. Anyone a good writer?

21. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
  22. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good report - thanks!

23. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh, here we go with hare-brained lane-widening schemes designed to reduce congestion again.

:D

24. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bethesda - this is your future...

[​IMG]

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Take it to Thread X with a similarly long title.

Sachin