Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 1: Event on Oct 18

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Riz, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 4: CHECK IN NOW

That's a 20 minute world class sprint from Grosvenor-Strathmore! :) Over 2 miles from the Metro. And there are plenty of political obstacles when not building closer to Metro in Montgomery County these days. I think we'll see a stadium on the Mall before we see one in Bethesda ;)

2. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i also dont know carol schwartz stance either, any ideas?

3. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: Stadium News and Speculation IX | DCUnitedPetition.com - DC Residents in Ward 4: CHECK IN NOW

Jim Graham is leaning strongly to the pro. I've had several email conversations with him.

4. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In case it was missed, the DC-Chicago telecast informed viewers that DC United had hired The Staubach Company to perform a search for a location. I'm sure they were given a grocery list of items to look for within the region.

I've only peripherally worked with the company before, but it was a good experience for my agency.

5. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a wiki on which to compile all this info. I don't think the BS wiki is the best page, since there's arguably advocacy involved. Do other people agree? If so, and if there's sufficient interest (if people think it'll be useful, and will use it), I can set something up with one of the free wiki providers.

6. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Maybe we should take a queue from Southend United supporters in their stadium fight...

http://www.southendunited.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~1144208,00.html

http://www.southendunited.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewStadiumDetail/0,,10444~1144903,00.html

Sounds kind of familiar!

7. skippy

skippy Member

Nov 17, 1999
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great idea bootsy and we can refer noobs to the issue (and there will be noobs as we cast our net for support more widely) to the wiki.

8. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United

This sounds great..

Is there a group interested in attending the public hearing this Saturday?
    I have a great banner we can use.:rolleyes:

9. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    Of course it is.

If I get any response I'll let you know ...

10. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    i alwasy thought we should take this to the news stations and try to get some play out of it.....between the 3 supportes groups and everyone else theres def enough people to make some noise out of this!

11. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    There are huge issues in Annapolis (courtesy of our Gov) having to do with revenues. There is a special session called to address tax hikes and slots.

I suspect that the comptroller is exploring all other revenue-generating opportunities. There are recent economic models to work from (Ravens Stadium/Camden Yards), so he may have many ducks swimming merrily in a row.

(I hope I managed to walk a delicate line here between editorializing and informing.)

12. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Would you consider modifying your letter just slightly and submitting it to The Washington Post for an editorial? It's excellent. You've done all of the heavy lifting.

13. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Hey, who's this guy, and why does he have a customized DC United jersey in his hand?

[​IMG]

Click to enlarge image.

14. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I second this.

15. Mighty!

Mighty! Member

Apr 19, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    thirded

16. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

This site is in play already with another developer, although there have been some hiccups in the plan.

17. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Lowecifer - Do you have any specifics concerning the two possible sites in College Park? I am guessing one is behind the ice rink. If you know, please share.

18. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

No, I have no clue where they might consider putting it, unless the airport is a possibility. I can't imagine it would be though.

19. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Thanks. I figure I would give you a try. I don't think the airport is a possibility. It is the oldest continuing airport in the country and might have some historic protection. But that is a guess on my part.

20. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, but it's not like it gets any respect from the FAA or DHS. :(

Since 9/11 it's operations have been severely limited.

A development could occur in a way that would keep the present historic structures intact.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC

But it would cease being an operating airport. Don't know how important that is in the scheme of things (outside the DC United world that is). Tell you what, the location would be great. Metro stop, Kenilworth Avenue and Route 1 gives you two roads accessible to the Beltway. BW Parkway in nearby and Kenilworth Avenue also gives access via Virginia.

22. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United

as a pilot and someone who used to fly out and keep my plane at that airport heres my thoughts
    it will never be touched, its a historic landmark and will forever be preserved.

operations have been reduced to practically nil as now you have to go through a securtity background check, everytime you go fly its even more of a pain in the butt to fly out of then the rest of the airports in the region as its under not just the ADIZ but also the FRZ which means you have to have a special code that changes every 30 days, and call to make flight plans which are alot more stringent than normal and the adiz fp's

i would never like to see it be decommisioned.
    im still pissed at stupid chicago mayor for ********ing up meigs!

23. SMUPlayer

SMUPlayer New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    DC
    It just pisses me off to see this picture. I can't believe that someone would stand in front of 22K people and flat out lie. I guess I am just a gulible, Texas bumpkin, but seriously.

Everytime I think about that moment, and yes I was there, I just get mad. How annoying.

24. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:mad: Now you got me thinking about that bastard and his ********ing midnight bulldozer raid. All for a stupid pile of dirt park named after his ********ing whore of a wife. :mad:

25. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    Someone should seriously start a blog about this issue and use the domain www.fentysbigfatlie.blogspot.com or something similar to that

They could post the picture, the quote attributed to him, how he gave the quote about 10 days before the election, then he opened PP up for bids without requiring that a stadium be in the plan.

Links to articles could be there, links to the petition drive, hot buttons for writing Fenty, Council, others; bumper stickers could be designed along with other products on cafe.com or whatever that site is....

Someone with more time on their hands than me right now....