Stadium Funding?

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by nbace, Mar 15, 2013.

1. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked this question in the MLS Expansion forum as well.
    I know that Orlando has money for an MLS expansion stadium tied to the Dolphins Stadium bill in the Florida legislature. I wonder if the Strikers could tap into this money (in the form of a state sales tax rebate) to build a stadium and get into MLS? I doubt they could get any state money for an NASL stadium...but if a Ft. Lauderdale area lawmaker snuck some language until the bill, anything is possible.

2. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard FTL mayor Jack Seiler could be running for governor, you never know.

Your right, there's slim to nil chance they could get any money with no intention of going to MLS.

However Traffic has apparently set aside $15 million to build an 8-10K seat stadium. That's a start, and if/when that happens, it puts the Strikers in the pole position to tap into that "2nd MLS team" rebate money that is in that bill. Not necessarily because Traffic wants to put the team in MLS, they don't, but because MLS and any potential new investor would have to be a fool to bypass a team with it's own, expandable SSS already built.

I've heard that they're separating the Orlando thing from the Dolphins thing. That makes it more likely City will get their deal. Dolphins probably will too.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hey DR, that $15 million Traffic is setting aside for a stadium, would they be willing to use it on Lockhart instead if a deal could be worked out with the FAA? Or if that is the route they wind up going, would they be looking to spend less because they wouldn't ultimately own the stadium?

4. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it the term "new stadium" includes a substantially renovated Lockhart, so yes, the $15 million applies. But IMO they would probably have to spend more at the Lockhart site then if they started from scratch at a new location(depending on the kind of land deal they can get).

Having gotten up close and personal with the old girl on renovation day, there is no way ANY of the existing structures on the sidelines can stay if they are in any way serious about the kind of renovations needed there. "Lipstick on a Pig" would certainly describe anything that didn't involve demolition costs at Lockhart.

From what I hear they'll need at least 10-year deal or something like that from the FAA/City to make it worthwhile there. As much as I love the place, without a long term deal that is good for the team, it makes no sense to pursue Lockhart as a long term option.

If it ends up being Lockhart, I hope it's a sparkling new shrine to soccer. The only things that are worth saving are the location and the field itself. For now, some new paint, flags and pressure washing will suffice. Hopefully by kickoff next year we're officially looking forward to a new building, whatever form that may take.

Antique repped this.
  5. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    i thought you needed 15k avg for 2 years to join the mls, we had 5k last sat. so i dont see it anytime soon

6. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I think Traffic is doing the smart thing and following San Antonio's lead. Does it really matter if the Strikers move to MLS or remain in NASL. I am seeing signs that NASL is taking big steps. San Antonio just recently got a local TV deal which i think is pretty big. Also it is starting to sound like the Cosmos are planning on sticking with the NASL and help try to get a national tv deal. All I know is things are getting very interesting in D2.

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    NASL has their own niche in the market. especially because there is no promotion or relegation system, they can create a league that's profitable but on a smaller scale. I want to see them expand a bit, at least to 12 teams, but have expansion requirements to make sure the teams are not losing money.

I think 3k avg attendance is not a bad figure to shoot for in order to start participating on the NASL

8. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well I kind of think it does if you want to see the Strikers play at the highest level possible. Especially in an area you believe should have a major league soccer team. And likely will whether it is the Strikers or not.

I also think it matters to the current fans, potential fans(we want to average more than 3,600), local media, potential sponsors, potential investors, politicians, etc.

And if you are following San Antonio's lead, than your goal is MLS, since that is their goal for their team and stadium expansion.
    Steps toward being a solid D2. Which is a big deal given our history. Anything beyond that is delusional and self destructive.
    Um, the Cosmos have no choice. MLS isn't going to do business with them. If MLS came calling, they would throw the NASL under a bus. They are playing hardball will little to no leverage.

And a national TV deal? Why would you listen to anything the Cosmos say? MLS barely has a national presence and draws poorly on television. Television is their biggest hurdle. What would a league with poorer players(castoffs from MLS), a lower level of play, and is inferior to MLS in every facet draw? Even on a small cable network desperate for any content. NASL teams don't have any real interest in their local markets. Forget any interest on a national level. Look a how little coverage the NASL and USL get. If you want the NASL on tv you are going to have to pay for it. Like Traffic did to get the final game in 2011 on GolTV.

Smoke & Mirrors and drSoFlaFan repped this.
  9. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Even Montreal didn't come close to that.

10. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is San Antonio getting money for their tv deal? Also, Gol TV would be the only "national" tv deal NASL could hope for in the foreseeable future.

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Podcast talking about Strikers eying downtown Ft. Lauderdale for a 10k seat stadium by the 2015 season. Nice size in my opinion. Hope it happens.

Antique repped this.
  12. drSoFlaFan

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be great. Apparently Hardy Park, which is downtown adjacent, about 3 blocks away, is the preferred site for the team. From the outside looking in it seems like it would be a more difficult path to get everything approved and shovels in the ground downtown, but hopefully they are confident as is the city that something can get done in a timely fashion.

13. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So this is what we're most likely looking at now? I'm not overwhelmed by this location at all. I think there are multiple better choices.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I would expect some opposition from the community if they try to take away their park land.

15. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Especially since there is a historic building, one of the earliest elementary schools built in Ft Lauderdale, on the NE corner of the site that can't be demolished.

There are at least 2 other sites that are possibilities and I think would be far better than the Hardy Park site. We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Lockhart's footprint fits inside the open area and the tennis courts. No need to demolish the playground or the historic building. I trimmed the upper endline seats to estimate how a 10k stadium would fit:

[​IMG]

Seems to fit comfortably enough. I'm guessing parking would be three blocks north in those empty lots next to the riverwalk?

17. RalphsMom

RalphsMom Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HardyParkStage1Streets.jpg

This is my design for Hardy Park that I did a while ago. It would definitely fit on the property and allow for a hefty parking garage for VIPs and season ticket holders. Also there is a ton of construction already going on in that area including another large parking garage right next to Hardy Park I believe. That area is set to explode population wise in the next five years and the Fort Lauderdale skyline is slowly creeping south, putting this location closer and closer to downtown.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...1_downtown-area-downtown-population-new-river

http://www.marinaloftsfortlauderdale.com/

Chowda repped this.
  18. RalphsMom

RalphsMom Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HardyParkSouth.jpg

Also this area South of 9th Street (consisting of a bunch of old 2 story apartments and an automotive shop) could eventually be purchased and expanded onto with either another parking garage or surface parking as well as an expansion of the South stand of the stadium for an upgraded seating capacity.

19. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That would require some people in Ft. Lauderdale's local government to be as gung ho for the team as Orlando seems to have for them up that way. Also, I don't think there is any way at all we could count on city or county funds purchasing lots and then turning them over to the team to build a stadium on as part of a deal. Even if the team gave the city a sweetheart of a return on investment deal, I don't think the public would go for it. Very nice design though! I'd just much rather see it out west in Sawgrass or in Pompano...

20. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent design. When oh when will we hear some positive news about this? If they dilly dally around about making a decision they'll announce it after Mr Beckham makes his announcement. If that goes the way we think it will it will make a new stadium a footnote to a failed franchise. Do the folks in the FO & the NASL/Traffic office in Miami understand this? Or do they exist in some protective bubble that protects them from the reality of the situation?

21. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

They know well and good what it would mean. They just don't care.

I've been telling you this for months now.