Stadium Construction and Supporters Groups

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by HardHatMike, Oct 29, 2007.

1. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Oh, I don't doubt the club will eventually get some kind of temporary seating onto the stage at some point. I just wanted to make sure the "retractable seating" rumor didn't get out there and for people to start pissing and moaning when it doesn't get installed.

Having been in the group of supporters on the section 102 "terrace" last night I don't think I'd even want risers on the stage ... just access for us to get out there to crowd the fence behind the goal.

2. Les_Philling

Les_Philling New Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Ohio
    Not wanting to steal anyone's thunder, but here's two I took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Crap!

4. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say that I spent more than 60 seconds looking at their site, but when I see some song about "I'm looking over a four leaf clover" or whatever the hell it is, it just looked like something that somebody thought would be good in theory, but have never tried it out for real to see that it's not so great. And Dale Oh being attributed to Ben Fold's "Army"? I thought this was way different than what I understood about the chant... but hey, maybe I'm misinformed?

As for press coverage, I can't say as I know what you're talking about. The only things I've heard have been here on BS and about how great and organized they are. Well, super, but I still don't know what you're talking about in the context of any specific examples.

Sorry if I'm totally out of the loop.

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. DinamoTFC

DinamoTFC Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Toronto
    Mayb you guys are planning to put a marching band there like Seattle is going to :p It could be an exciting experiment.

I think that space can actually be made to look better if they plan on putting a huge Crew banner or Supporters group banner in that space, or even putting it diagonal so it will be balanced with the stands. Just an assumption. If they do one of those two things I dont think itll look that bad. Or mayb theyre going to put a beer garden there like we have at BMO with tables and such.

Also, can someone inform me, is ur stadium entirely made up of bleachers? Or is there any plans to put real seats and remove bleaches altogether. And how do you guys like sitting on bleachers, is it a pain in the ass?

8. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The benches are great. Much better then seats and Benches are more democratic too. There's room for small and big asses and always room for one more.

9. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are mostly bleachers with a couple of sections of club seating with real, plastic seats.

I like bleachers because i tend to be a bit, umm, expansive, but I was not uncomfortable at BMO either. I have sat in our club seats before during reserve games at the stadium, and they are pretty comfy too. So it's either way for me.

10. SportzNut78

SportzNut78 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those of us in the Supporter groups don't sit anyway.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Member

Jan 30, 2000
    Enon OH Exit 49
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah! And they could do 'Script C'!

12. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't it like 2 years ago, we had a row of drummers? what happened to that?

13. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was thankfully relegated to the dustbin of history as one of the most poorly conceived and executed ideas in the history of the Crew front office.

14. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if that row was comprised next year of the drummers from Union, Turbina and HSH in the front row working in unison, i'd be all for it...

15. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    The drummers from La Turbina are fantastic. Its impossible to not get into the rhythm when you're right up there with them.

16. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    We need to do our own little version of this:

[youtube]-oZh6WhuMPE[/youtube]

[youtube]0byV-7ZCqZI[/youtube]

17. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminds me of the one Ozomatli concert I went to. Good times.:)

18. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    That's some great stuff. As the season goes on we'll all have to really get behind the Spanish chants and get La Turbina drumming along with some of the English stuff.

They apparently love "We will rock you"! :)

19. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had some really good rhythms going on at the game. I could hear them more since I was opposite rather than along side them.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News on the MLS board is reporting that NYRB has dropped plans for a stake at their stadium.

Of course, it hasn't been built yet.

Still, when the management at NYRB, the most pathetic team in the league history, gets something that your ownership doesn't, you know you are in trouble.

21. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Or perhaps it says nothing about their commitment to soccer and everything about the potential of RB Park being a viable concert venue in NY Metro area.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I don't think so.

AEG wanted the stage for concerts and Red Bull bought out their ownership share and changed the stadium specs so that there was NO stage. Red Bull wants it to be a soccer facility.

Sounds like a commitment to soccer to me. Red Bull won't rip out stands to put in a stage.
    Thought I'll admit, they could still hold concerts, but there just won't be a stage there. (What an idea!)

23. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    But if AEG wanted the stage and RB Park for concerts, being that AEG is in the concert business, why would they sell their stake in the stadium to an entity that might not be so susetable to holding concerts in their "Soccer-only-stadium?"

Could the answer be that RB Park would not have been a viable concert venue in the NY Metro Area?

24. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Doesn't AEG have some involvement in the Devils' new arena, Prudential Center or whatever it's called? Maybe that involvement reduced their "need" to be involved with the Red Bulls stadium, making it easy for them to sell their interest to Red Bull.

25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those pictures are heartbreaking.

The management keeps talking about building "tradition" and then rips it out by the roots.

I'd post a few pictures of the sections that no longer exist stuffed to the concourse with USA fans on their feet dancing with delirium and screaming at the top of their lungs but it would only make me sad.

But what is that worth compared to the chance to put another 5000 people into the building for the next Rascal Flatts show, right?