Stadium Construction and Supporters Groups

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by HardHatMike, Oct 29, 2007.

1. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Local 614
    Indianapolis Local 317
    Washington DC Local ###
    Boston Local ###
    Cincinnati Local ###
    Cleveland Local ###
    Brooklyn Local 718

Edit: I like this idea the best, as then it's more like a true union where the local chapters each have their own number for their geographic location.

2. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    It would be "Pittsburgh Local 412" ... but just expect to see the U.S. Steel/USX logo showing up on a new batch of custom HSH jerseys.

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right. I really don't want to over think this. If something comes out, then it will, but I don't want to try too hard and have it sound retarded or like a gimmick. It's more likely we'll figure something out when we're standing there drinking beers than sitting on our computers.

It's the sightline you see when you walk in the tunnel as if you were headed to 103, as 101 can use the same tunnel for access. I think as you walk out of the tunel, if you turned to the right instead of the left you'd instantly be in 101. I'm personally willing to compromise a little here. I like the sideline sightline, for sure. But I can also understand why in the grand scheme it is better for everyone if we are more down toward the corner. In 10 years, maybe we'll be back in 103 because we've filled up everything from the stage through 102 and have to expand into 103, but right now I think having our corner is the best long-term strategic move.

Agreed. We need to have info for Sam's Army available so they know what is going on. Who is going to be responsible for site updates? Zip, are you still doing the overall webmaster/hosting thing? Has that been transitioned to some other server? I don't really know how it is all set up, but would be cool to help in some manner for updates.

How exactly is this going to hurt the club? Is this really going to prevent people from attending? Was the atmosphere generated by those 3 sections that critical? You don't think HSH will be effective from the corner? I don't understand what's so terrible about this that people are over dramatic about.

4. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    except when the team moves its facilities to Newark and then it would be local 740

...just kidding

5. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    No, I think we'll (HSH) be very effective from the corner ... along with everyone else. It will be louder and more impressive looking on broadcast.

The installation of the stage is really part of a bigger picture thing in terms of the success of "football" in the United States. With the image of US soccer being so low in the English (and other) press this is just one more thing for them to point a finger at. You'd never see them do this at Old Trafford or any of the stadiums in England. Hell, for all the trouble that Leeds is in financially you'd never see them do it there. The supporters would tear down the stadium before they'd all the FO to do it.

6. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I'm still the webmaster. But I am more than happy to turn all the keys I have over to Kevin M.

I don't mind continuing to be the domain registrant. I don't see why we'd have to switch servers though. What's wrong with the company currently hosting our website?

7. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    I will never understand this concept. Why do you care what people in other countries think of us? Does their approval pay for a DP? Does their respect help the Crew turn a profit or win MLS Cup? Hell, I'd even wager that most people in England don't even know that Columbus, Ohio exists let alone that we have a soccer team that plays in stadium with a stage. Never mind the fact that our stage is a lot less obtrusive than the running tracks and fences in stadiums all over Europe, Asia and South America etc.

If the stage helps give the club I love a chance to become more profitable off the field and more successful on it, then I'm all for it.

8. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    You know, I can't really argue with that point. I hope this works out for the club in a way that ultimately benefits us the supporters. At least we won't have to worry about a temporary stage killing the pitch in the north end. (Now if we could just do something about the high school football lines!)

I won't stop hoping for (occasional) access to the stage for at least a temporary terrace.

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, nothing is wrong with the server, that I know of. I just wasn't sure how it was arranged. I know some people that turn one of their boxes at home into a small-time server and wasn't sure if you were doing something similar. It's not like we're going to get 5,000,000 hits in a day and catch your flat on fire as the computer erupts in flames from the activity. :) As you can see, I was just ignorant as to how it was arranged and was purely curious.

Thanks

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. We'd continue to use the same access tunnel, just turning right, instead of left.

When it comes to the shirts, wouldn't the customization of all the area codes get a bit expensive? Sure, it may be feasible to print up 15 "614" shirts, but what about 3 or 4 from Indy, 1 from Boston, 2 or 3 from DC, etc.?

11. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put them on Cafe Press and only print as needed. Put them at the lowest available price for a black t-shirt and pay less than $20 for each on demand. Yeah, it costs more than having bulk made, but it would be extra cool to represent... and that's less than a Crew shirt will run ya at the Crew Gear store...

PS - Peter, it's past your bedtime!

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you just have the list of all of them on the back. Makes the group seem much more MASSIVE to have locals in 6 or 7 cities listed.

13. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    I've never been down there, but I get the idea that the team locker rooms are underneath sections 136, 137, and that whole area. Are they moving the locker rooms? If so, where to?

14. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    Actually, they're behind the northwest corner underneath the concession stands.

15. ffdb38

ffdb38 Member

Jun 4, 2006
    any idea when the renovations will be complete? can we expect some fan photos of the work done from the match on tuesday?

16. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    By the beginning of next season? I've been told there could be a concert pre-or-post match on opening day.

And yes, there will be pictures.

17. CaptainZ

CaptainZ Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you guys need any help doing design work for the website, banners, shirts/apparel or whatever just let me know. Id love to put the thousands of dollars i invested in art school to work, haha.

18. SxSxWxC

SxSxWxC Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Wyandotte Crossing
    I drove by a few days ago. The stands are completely gone so you can see straight into the stadium, kinda weird. From what I could see they've already started the foundation work for the stage.

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are the pictures from last night? Eager to see how it looked.

20. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will try to post them tonight after the Jackets game. Needless to say, there is nothing there. You can see right through to the supports for the stands on the sections that are left. It's a big hole. Fun when they missed a goal on that end, we had Ball Construction Workers to retrieve them! ;)

21. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    I've got some pictures from last night too to post. Should be happening tomorrow sometime.

I especially liked the folding chairs the construction guys had set up to watch the match. I wonder if they charged the club overtime?!?

22. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    And other stage news ...

Despite what was said by one of the friendly Event Staff guys tasked with guarding The Pitt last night ... there will NOT be retractable seating installed above the stage that rolls out for matches. (Rumor confirmed false by Keeney this morning.)

There will however be a "Custom Scarf Machine" installed in the team store. :) Check out sonsofben.com and their Stuff section for details.

23. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked only a few of their songs, but these guys are lame as hell

24. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still bet there will be temporary seating in 2009 for the USAvsMexico qualifier...

25. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Consider this the last time I mention SoB until we actually play a Philly expansion team. I've gotten to know a few of the guys and they're all true supporters of football.

For a supporters group that doesn't actually have a team they've gotten more INTERNATIONAL press this season than most of the other MLS supporters groups combined. They're all active in the Philadelphia sporting community and have organized their own supporters team at this point.

No offense to anyone who actually came out to the Tecos match last night (or wasn't able to attend because of a prior obligation) ... the Crew deserves to have a supporters organization as dedicated as the Sons of Ben.