Stadio della Roma ** All News & Info **

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Interesting as I was reading up for both Rome and down in Naples for Napoli and it seemed pretty straight forward although I guess with out having been there yet, it still will be a little confusing at least the first time.

2. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ah the people who have came up with the ridiculous Qatar WC stadiums.

3. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    were you looking at the trains or buses ? i was taking the trains around rome and they didnt even announce what the stop was so it was only great for the people who know the city...

4. Giallorossi_10

Giallorossi_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma

Good sir, there is nothing ridiculos about building billion dollar stadions with artificial clouds hovering over them ><.

5. Giallorossi_10

Giallorossi_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma

ive taken an overnight train from rome to Messina and the train stopped in a repair shop or something in the middle of the night for 6 hours, plus the police came and screamed at the 2 black men in the cabin next to hours (still in the middle of the night) and then took them with them. was an Interesting? experience :p

6. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It's official if they don't put an artificial cloud over our stadium I will be disappointed ;)

7. Giallorossi_10

Giallorossi_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma
    isnt Rome rainy enough :p?

8. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We want a cloud, not rain. Its for the shade silly.

9. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    A working man's cloud

[​IMG]

10. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

oh lord, that might be a problem if you don't plan to go to the terminating station for that particular line. :p

11. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hah, the metro's OK, it's only two lines so it's simple (unlike the London tube), but yeah no announcements, no nothing, so keep an eye out for your station.

PS. Don't be scared when you the Laurentina line all tattooed in graffiti ;)

12. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nothing wrong with a bit of graffiti, probably the only true form of freedom of speech. ;)

Unfortunately public transportation is a major problem in Italian cities with no real solution. It's a shame if you travel or life in a place where they have top notch public transportation because you see how good it could be. However there is no real quick fix. Italian cities are too old and for the most part designed in a time when no one ever gave any thought to these type of problems. For a capital city Rome's metro is laughable, but like I've said many times before you can't put a shovel into the ground there without uncovering some stupid artifact. Once that happens it's a world of shit.

Metro aside though, the most frustrating bit with public transportation in Italy is the uncertainty that comes with it. Once I was taking a train in a small town where my aunt lives. I got there at 15:15, plenty of time to catch the 15:30 train. The train never arrived, nothing was announced. I think the 15:30 must have vanished into a black hole or something. Eventually the 16:30 train came. That more or less sums up the public transportation experience in Italy, it's best to take your care.

As it relates to Roma, I believe public transportation is the biggest issue to be tackled with building a new stadium. Where ever they decide to build it they need to be assured that it will be simple to combine it with the existing train or subway lines. It's also a huge gamble because I would not take the city at their word that they will extend the line out to you. That could end up taking another 15 years. As things stand today accessibility is one of the Olimpico's biggest problems, along with buying tickets. If you go by public transportation they you are looking at a subway ride, and then a tram or buss ride. By care you have the nightmare of trying to find parking space, which can often leave you two kilometers away from the stadium.

13. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hah, don't get me wrong, I think graffiti ads character to a city, yes it can be shocking to new comers, but I've always loved how graffiti artists respect each other's art and won't spray paint over each other's work, you see that all over the Rome metro and some parts of other European cities.

I think London, like NYC have lost this culture, and with it lost their edge. Although most people find graffiti to be acts of vandalism, I was always fascinated by it, and liked the culture respect these guys had for each other's work. It isn't until you drive through a city's underbelly that you really get to know it. This film, Layer Cake, portrays London the way it really is, unlike most films that onyl show the 'nice part' of London.

Anyway, back on topic, don't get me started on public transportation, although London's system is somewhat dependable, every weekend there are 'planned' closures of major lines that make going to Selhurst Park to watch the Crystal palace games painful, and for the prices we pay (vs. other European countries, as the wage gap between the isles and the continent gets smaller) this is outrageous. I spend over £450 pounds (over USD $700) a month commuting into London for work each day, and trains are always packed to the point where you're standing for the hour and half journey every morning, plus they're not always on time. Seeing my friend in Canterbury costs me £40, it'd be cheaper to drive in a full revved Range-Rover — when a car is cheaper, it kind of defeats the purpose of public transportation if you ask me.

I used to live in Boston, MA, and complained about the T every day while I waited in the snow, but when I look back it was very cheap and service was quite good.

With how 'fast' things move in Italy, wherever they setup the stadium, we'll be lucky if getting to it using public transportation is easy.

14. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I figured you had a soft spot for graffiti when I saw the smiley. I've always been fascinated by graffiti. My woman thinks I'm crazy, but she doesn't know anything.

15. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    But at the same time this is what makes Italy such a wonderful place, almost get the impression some places are lost to history :)

16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That is very true, however you need to strike a balance. While it's gorgeous and at times breath taking to be in and see Italian cities, time does not stop. Nor does progress. Things continue to move forward and you need to be prepared for that otherwise problems arise and you are left flat footed. Italy's traffic problems are not going to go away, and in time as the population continues to grow they will only increase.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating demolishing whole city blocks. However a balance needs to be found in preserving the past and building for a future. Roma is a city that needs a proper subway system with several lines that covers the majority of the city. They also need to expand the tram lines. If you close down shop on a project because you dig out some vase it's completely illogical. The costs of the project ballons, with people sitting still and getting paid. That artifact, while a part of our history, how much will that contribute to the future citizens of Rome? Which of the two is more important looking at the big picture and thinking 50 years ahead.

17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    the problem is italian people like holding onto the past to much or just dont feel like doing anything about a problem. for example my town in Calabria after that big earthquake that happened what over 20 years ago? half the town was condemned the old part and there it sits only a couple of house were destroyed and at one point someone was going to buy the old section demolish and rebuild but the town voted no but that might of happend because tutti i calabrese sono testa dura...

The public transport in italy could at least yell out stops that would be a major improvement or at least have bigger signs saying what the stop is...

18. Giallorossi_10

Giallorossi_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denmark
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Rome is deffo one of the coolest cities ive ever been in. and i had no problems with anything except the somewhat hostile attitude i encountered when i wanted tickets to Roma :p but other than that i never had problems with the metro or anything else for that matter.

but i guess the difference is spending 2 weeks in Rome, and actually living there :p

19. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

graffiti doesn't bother me. I grew up north of Detroit and I remember seeing some "interesting" neighborhoods in the downtown area. In 1984 while down there celebrating the baseball team winning the world series, it was fun with the cars honking horns and what not but we went down one street where a bunch of people were shaking a bus full of people back and forth. It was then my Mom thought it was best for us to go home. :p

Yeah, as long as I know from the central station how many stops to the stop I need to get off from to then convert over to the tram or bus, I think I will be okay. If not, I will try to find a computer to say you guys might never see me post on here again as I might be totally lost. :eek:

20. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    6 stops, you get off at Ottaviano. It's impossible to miss though, the train will be filled with giallorosso. Just follow the herd.

21. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Very cool! When I also saw all the talk about graffiti, I kept thinking that I look like a wall full of graffiti with all of the tattoo work that I have. :)

22. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    This!

The last time I went to Rome I took the Metro to the Colosseum, after I toured it my wife and I went back to the Metro station 2 hours later to find shutdown for maintenance. That was during the noon.

Also after the Roma and Basel game the bus that stops opposite to the Olympico was 1 1/2 hours late

:)

23. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you know they got a mandatory 2 hour breaks :D l'italia 'e sempre l'italia yet despite it all i love it :cool:

24. Moebek

Moebek Member+

Sep 16, 2011
    Cairo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    With all the flows in Rome i still love the city, it didn't really bother me.

Actually during our wait I and wife got to know an English teacher who took his students to the game. We killed time chatting with them and he was happy that his students were practicing the language

25. Aztattooedsean777

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    that was good that you had something interesting to pass the time by. :)