St Louis Players thread

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by SoccerPrime, Jan 16, 2010.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Potential Players?

I'd still like to see Jarius Holmes return to St.Louis. He was great playing for the Lions before going to the Austin Aztex last year. After the season they let him go, not sure where he is now.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarius_Holmes

3. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've been keeping an eye on Jarius, but have not heard if he's landed with a team yet. I know that he's got strong ties to St. Louis, so I hope he is able to get some time with the squad. When he was on, Jarius was a real play maker while in Austin.

4. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dado Hamzagic is another local product I'd be interested to see: drafted by the Revs in 2009 after scoring 15 goals in 60 games at SLU, he didn't make the cut and as far as I know isn't playing anywhere else.

5. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

what do you guys think it would take to get will bruin on the team? He was named first team forward for all big ten. I say throw a ton of money at him and convince him that Fihlo knows what he's doing and could get Bruin a contract in Ligue 1 within 2 years.

Even if we don't come up with Bruin, we should probably get something going where we can get the top STL kids that go to IU back here.

6. Hajvan

Hajvan Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

Actually Dado is playing for FK Sarajevo of the Bosnian 1st division. This year they reached the last qualifying round of the UEFA Cup. I doubt he'd be interested in AC StL at this time.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmmm...
    http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/bruin_will00.html

I wonder if any college player has ever left school early for a Div2 in the US. I mean I know lots of players have left early for MLS, failed to catch on and then took a USL1 job over the years. But has anyone been scouted and encouraged to leave early for a Div2 team?

Looks like a great player.

8. benficafan79

benficafan79 New Member

Jan 19, 2010

I think we need to start to build from the back out. From what I hear Rochester is not pursuing Tim Melia. He had some great games for the Rhinos last year backing up Scott Vallow and almost stole the starting job. Also in the departing Rhinos lot is Brent Sancho. A former Trinidad and Tobago star he has great ability and invaluable experience having played in the 2006 World Cup. I am pretty sure he was the Assistant Coach/Player last year there so his ability to provide excellent leadership to a new team would be a great asset.

9. jasontoon

jasontoon Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, OK, thanks for the update.

10. dmelsh

dmelsh New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Lawrence / St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For those who haven't read or just plan forgot:

AC St. Louis Men’s Open Tryout Info

Location: AB Soccer Park, One Soccer Park Rd, Fenton MO 63026

Dates: Saturday January 23 - 24

Registration begins at 11:00AM Saturday Jan 23 at AB Soccer Park

Saturday: Sunday:

Game 1: 12:00PM Game 1: 9:00AM

Game 2: 1:45PM Game 2: 10:30AM

*Teams will be assigned at registration

http://www.ac-stlouis.com/AC_St._Louis/AC_Tryouts.html

Hopefully we can pickup some great players. Go ACSTL

11. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis

Does anyone know if fans are allowed to watch, or do they keep it private to keep other teams' scouts from poaching their players?

12. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

I can't believe noones mentioned Tommy Heinemann yet! His family lives right down the street from me in Brentwood, he was a beast at Rockhurst and for the Lions in PDL (35 goals in 36 games!) Plus he looks like Jesus! It would be a good move for his development, right now he's on Charleston who decided to drop to USL 2, and could help bring people out to games being a CBC product.

If this was my team I would probably try to keep payroll down by filling up half the roster with former MCC stars. Heinemann, Bruin, Tierney, Roeckle, Maglasang, Meyer, etc.

There's alot of talent just in that conference alone and then you go for the Bosnians and the rest of the area, this team is in a very good position to be able to develop talent and turn it into big bucks. To get the players, you just have to show them the incentives such as a well connected front office and playing in front of your hometown I could see many players chosing to sign for AC.

Also I think this HAS to be the model for the team, keep about half or more young and local and then bring in prospects from the rest of the country and add in a couple veterans with some marketing ability and big time experience. Mainly though I would keep it local, its cheap with a big potential for profibility, and it gives the team an identity. It would be very easy to market essentially a homegrown team, people like to root for "our guys" and you wouldn't have to make up for the "D2 inferiority complex".

What do you guys think? Even if were not at the top of the table, people have a reason to come out and watch.

(Just imagine the CBC and DeSmet banners! JESUS!! Probably end up with a, what high school are you from cheer, lol)

13. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes! Definitely Heinemann!

14. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis

I found out fans can watch. I don't know if I'm gonna go or not, but I thought I would pass that along in case anyone is interested.

15. Showstopper

Showstopper New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stephen "Cody" Reinberg would be a good local fit being from Villa Ridge. He had a strong rookie season with the Harrisburg City Islanders in USL-2 last season. Not exactly sure what his standing is as of now with the City Islanders though.

Either I think it is a good idea for AC St. Louis to be searching for a local talent. If the plan goes right it will look good for footy in St. Louis. If it doesn't work well then atleast will have plenty of people watching the local talent play win or loss. Too many times i've seen local teams of differant sports struggle at the gate because they don't recruit and scout the local talent enough.

16. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

http://www.naslnews.com/2010/01/ac-st-louis-selects-14-players-from.html

They apparently like 14 guys from the tryouts to come back to an invitational tryout. Looks like their gonna invite some more professionals. It's gonna be at Rams Park, can't blame them playing on those turf fields was dreadful.

Interesting that the invitational tryout is this weekend and their having at least 48 players come out, they must have been doing some scouting after all this last month. Hopefully its open to the public again.

17. Jozd

Jozd Member

Oct 18, 2009
    red rock vs blu rock
  18. StlSpursFan

StlSpursFan Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Da 314
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is it me or it looks like most of AC St. Louis players will be college players.

21. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis

I was bored, so I decided to dig up what I could about them.
    Josh Aranda, SLU
    Nikolay Aleksandrov, George Washington Just judging by this guy's picture, I think I saw him playing left back at the tryout. I think he was on the ground more than all the rest of the players on the field combined. He is definitely not afraid to get stuck in. Sometimes he won the ball, but sometimes he missed and got beat. Not particularly technical.
    Damir Kordic may have played with an indoor team called the St. Louis Illusion, which featured a very old Daryl Doran and Joe Reiniger, among others.
    Ian Quattrochi
    Juan Pablo Reyes apparently played for Rochester in 2008
    Daniel Tongo scored 4 goals and 3 assists for Lincoln Land CC last year
    Glenn Volk was 1st team all-Patriot league and graduated from Colgate in 08, and tried out for the New England Revolution, but I guess didn't make it.

Also, Brandon Manzonelli, a St. Louisan who was in the Villareal youth system and New England Revolution, appears to be in street clothes at the tryout next to Filho
    http://www.facebook.com/?filter=pp#/photo.php?pid=3999052&id=198599807185 Not sure what that means, but he seems like a good candidate to make the team. Maybe he was there to support some of his old buddies who were trying out.

These 14 players will be competing against at least 34 other players who, presumably, had more impressive resumes and didn't have to go through the open tryout, and possibly others who have already been signed, so chances are not very many of them will make the team.

22. colsoccer

colsoccer New Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders

Glenn Volk played for Bayamon FC, Captain-defensive center back, in the Puerto Rico Soccer League-2009. As a start up team, they won the championship and have a Concacaf Bid. He is currently playing indoor for the Louisville Lightning. He also played midfield on the Javanon U-19 team that won Nationals.

23. colsoccer

colsoccer New Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders

Volk also trained a decent amount with Puerto Rico Islanders while playing in Puerto Rico last summer. Bayamon FC acted as the reserve team for the Islanders. Volk helped Captain 07 and 08 Colgate (D1) teams-played back to back Patriot league championships and NCAA tournament berths.

24. Soccerfever10

Soccerfever10 New Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Fulham FC

Volk would be a great pick up. I've seen him play many times. He has surprising quickness for a big stong player and is a commanding presence at centerback. He's a very very tough guy to get past.

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speaking of Volk...... I don't know him personally but have coached against his teams in high school and club. Being a Kentuckian (and native Lexingtonian) I'm proud to see him make the list. I can give a little insight. He is a textbook player. Not flashy. Not one you particularly notice. But he's very effective. An unsung; under appreciated player. Mind you mostly I've seen him in the midfield during high school and club days but even then you could tell he was your classic CB. I wasn't surprised to hear he made the move to CB once he got to Colgate. Volk is very good at reading and anticipating the flow of the game which is important to CBs. IIRC, he was a decent passer but could stand be a little more accurate. I'd say he's around 6'2" 185. So size is no issue and he does well in the aerial game. Volk's definitely not afraid to get "stuck-in" but could stand be a little more delligent in the tackle. I had heard through a mutual contact, last summer before I moved, he was playing well at Bayamon FC and was drawing serious interest from the Islanders, their mother club. I don't know if interest continues since I have now left KY. I should ask the mutual contact. If given the opportunity to progress through a tryout and landing a contract Volk could wind up being a decent player. Getting the experience is key. If that happens and he's a quick learner AC STL could benefit sooner than later.