St. Louis in the USL

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Alistair Fannell, Aug 22, 2013.

?

St. Louis

Poll closed Jan 30, 2014.
  1. 5

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 0

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

2. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So an indoor soccer team has the money to fund a USL Pro team?

4. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    YES!

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So they say. Let's see how they feel when it starts losing them money.

6. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    How so? They have enough money and backers to runs this team.

7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've followed minor league soccer in the US long enough to know that all ownership groups think they can make a go of it but few have the stomach, or the pockets, for the losses.

8. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Will see!

9. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hearing this team may happen, the name I'm hearing is St Louis Vaporware FC.

10. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    LOL! That would be a nice name.

11. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony Glavin of the St.Louis Lions has had plans, and the investors, lined up to make it possible to jump up to the USL Pro for years now. The biggest obstacle has always been the lack of regional teams, the travel would have meant a quick death to the team financially.
    Now that OK City has jumped in, it seems that a domino effect may take shape and other midwestern teams will also jump in. Even if it's not for another year or two, it is certain to happen. This is just speculation, but perhaps that's how the new USL Pro team is able to make this jump, by having the additional investors (Ambush) that can make this team survive, and hopefully flourish.
    From everything I hear, the sides are still ironing things out, but if all goes as planned I think we'll see this become official within the next 30-60 days.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Possibly 90 days? ;)

13. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HA!
    Hey, you never know, could be even longer. There's also the possibility that it doesn't happen at all,
    although sources assure me it will happen.

14. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I really don't have anything against St Louis having a team. In 2015. This city deserves a team done right after the AC St Louis fiasco. It would be so much better for them to spend a year laying groundwork, getting interest up, doing marketing, finding a location, and hey, maybe if they wait until then, the dominoes will fall into place with expansion sides/development teams for Chicago, Kansas City and Columbus in the Midwest to reduce costs even further. Don't rush it, that's all I ask

15. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would normally agree, but this team will already have a big jump on anything that AC St.Louis had. Even though they probably won't be the Lions in name, it is basically the Lions organization making the jump from PDL to USL Pro. They will play their 1st season at Lindenwood U, where the team has a good, working relationship and the team will most probably be lead by Tony Glavin and Jim Shipley, who are already the Head Coach and GM for the Lions. They also have a small fanbase and are known throughout St.Louis. That's a lot more than AC had before they even made their team official.
    Plus, since the Ambush are involved, I would imagine they will be advertising the heck out of it during their inaugural season, especially towards the end of it.

Out of the 12 teams in the USL Pro, only half averaged 2500+ for home attendance in 2013 (http://dohertysoccer.com/2013-lower-division-attendances/2013-usl-pro-attendance/).
    I think making it past that mark isn't too unreasonable and would be considered a success for the team.

16. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance the old supporters groups from the AC days still exist? It would be a good idea for any new team to reach out to them. Or, in general, the Bosnian community

17. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean these guys? Oh yeah, they are still going strong.

http://stlouligans.com/

They support the Lions, and the WPSL Fire & Ice team, in the Summer and the Piasa (and now Ambush) in the winter. The throw great tailgate parties for the International Friendlies that have come to town as well. They have about 120 active members, and then a few dozen fair weather members too.

18. ladieckhaus

ladieckhaus New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anyone have any further news on this topic? I would assume that if they are going to attempt to be in the 2014 season they will have to start moving pretty quickly.

19. time4wine

time4wine Member

Mar 13, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still waiting. rumor now has it that they may have to wait until 2015. We'll see.

20. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I'm still holding out hope that it will be next year but your right about 2015. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

21. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time, if use correctly, is a friend. And in the case of St Louis, time should be taken to make sure everything is good, rather then wind up with another Phoenix situation. Or AC St Louis situation for that matter

22. ladieckhaus

ladieckhaus New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would love to see them come in this year, but marketing wise and business wise it would be best to wait till 2015. I would assume that the ambush, if they are going to be involved, would like to make it through their first MISL season without also having to try and get a USL team together.

23. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Well time can be your best friend and you want to avoid the fiasco that is AC St. Louis and Jeff Cooper. I think both Tony Glavin and Andrew Haines owner of the Ambush want to see how the MISL team does during the indoor season. I think the wild card in all of this is the upcoming friendly match is the St. Louis Cardinals ownership. This is the second time they're hosting a match at Busch Stadium and they may want to have a part in owning a soccer team whether it's the MLS, NASL or USL Pro.

24. ladieckhaus

ladieckhaus New Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Right now it makes the most sense to go with USL Pro. One it is the cheapest to start up in, and as you can see they are working very closely with MLS. In my opinion it is way more viable than the NASL. To top it off the MLS is more than willing to let an upstart team purchase as spot into the league. I think if STL could get a good showing for a season or two in USL there would be big money willing to join in. Not sure the Cardinals would do it though. However, if they did they would have a pretty good strangle hold on sports in the city. Lastly, a St. Louis Chicago rivalry will actually be something compared to the SKC/Chicago rivalry.

25. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I agree. It would make sense to start up in the USL Pro and if the Cardinals ownership wants to hook up with Tony Glavin and follow the footsteps of the Yankees then it would be really good for the city of St. Louis.