St. Louis in the USL

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Alistair Fannell, Aug 22, 2013.

?

St. Louis

Poll closed Jan 30, 2014.
  1. 5

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. 0

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I wonder if Tony Glavin who owns the St.Louis Lions PDL team will move his team up to USL Pro.

2. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think the Lou will get an MLS team? I wonder if the move to USL Pro would help or hurt. It'd be a great get as far as market for the NASL too.

3. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Sadly I doubt St.Louis will get an MLS team. They could easily get a USL Pro team if Tony Glavin would move his team up. We keep hearing that 1 of the big things keeping the Lions out of the USL Pro is that there aren't any regional teams. OKC + a SKC team would be a good start. Then you know Des Moines would follow and hopefully a domino effect would lead to our Lions being included.

4. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's kinda why I say move to NASL if the team moves up at all. That would be a better league then USL Pro IMO. Again, that would be a great get for the NASL considering the St Louis market. It would sure help if the NASL's case if they were to ever develop a TV network/contract of some kind. Wasn't there talk of St Louis building a new football stadium that could accommodate soccer as well? Kinda like Seattle.

ManuSooner repped this.
  5. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    The city of St.Louis is talking about building a new football stadium that could accommodate soccer. The problem is both the Baseball team, Football team and the hockey gets a lot of press even-though the people in St.Louis wants a Major League Soccer team. At this point the best bet for St. Louis in getting a pro soccer team is the NASL. Though I were prefer USL pro.

6. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Personally I'm divide on whether should St.Louis go for USL Pro or NASL. One day I think St.Louis should go for USL Pro if they want to be in the MLS but if they don't get in Major League Soccer I say they should get an expansion from the NASL.

7. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely think STL can support a team, especially from how they came out for the Chelsea game in the summer. I just think NASL would be a better fit. STL is a major league city. Do they REALLY want to support a farm team for someone else, ESPECIALLY KC?

FCjason repped this.
  8. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great point. St. Louis is too big of a city to just be a farm team. Plus, Montreal Impact made the transition from NASL to MLS. So, if all the pieces are there, an MLS team could still happen down the rode.

9. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    There's pro and con on both USL Pro and NASL. The pro is that the USL pro league works with Major League Soccer and if the USL pro team does well in attendance the MLS will be incline by promoting the team to their league. The advantages of NASL are that it's a higher division than USL Pro and has designs on becoming another first-division league . But there's potential risk in NASL in that the owners can spend whatever they want on players, which could create a situation where a few haves dominate the rest of the have-nots. That's exactly what destroyed the old NASL. It boils down which to which would be the better.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually not that simple.

There is nothing keeping an NASL market from becoming an MLS market. And the clock will be ticking anyway now that there are four slots up for grabs between now and 2020 and St. Louis doesn't even HAVE a promotable team at the moment. Time is fleeting.

Also an oversimplification. That has become quite the talking point lately, as if this is Oprah's show and Peterson is the author of The Secret or something.

The NASL is at least a billion dollars shy of becoming a Division I league, no matter how many times people say it's coming.

Hasn't happened yet, has it?

Owners in leagues outside of MLS have always had the ability to spend whatever they want on players. And some have always spent more than others. That happens in USL Pro as well. It always has.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do NOT know Des Moines would follow.

Having a team or two in relative proximity to you is NOT the sole factor in the decision to increase your budget exponentially without a guarantee that your revenue will keep pace.

And it would not be easy for Glavin to move his PDL team up. It has never been easy for a PDL team to move up and succeed. There is a reason teams are at the levels they are at.

12. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That being $$$$$ is what it all comes down to.

13. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    At this point I do see a NASL team in St. Louis than a MLS.

14. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope!

15. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I believe if Jim Kavanaugh who is part of the ownership group that purchased the NHL’s St. Louis Blues is still interested in getting a soccer team from the NASL.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If summer friendlies prove a market can support a team...ah, screw it, they don't.

17. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, It doesn't prove anything but it doesn't hurt the city's cause either. It does prove that there are plenty of soccer/Chelsea fans in that city. Now that doesn't guaranty that all those fans will translate over to supporting a NASL club (or any other pro soccer club at that). However, it does prove that the interest for the sport is there. It is achievable, especially if done right...

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

For your sarcasm detector.

19. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if that's the case, I think I need bigger than just a 9 volt...

20. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis

Thank You!

FCjason repped this.
  21. FCjason

FCjason Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

22. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    The key for St. Louis is if their indoor soccer team does well in attendance then we could see pro outdoor soccer in St. Louis in 2015.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually isn't the key, and St. Louis indoor teams have done well in attendance before with zero impact on whether or not someone decides to start an outdoor pro team.

The actual key for St. Louis is someone willing to invest in the idea of a pro outdoor team, preferably someone with more actual funding than the last guy.

24. Alistair Fannell

Aug 13, 2013
    Springfield, Missouri
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    It is
    It is part of the key . Read this article by David Lange who's a soccer insider from St. Louis.

http://www.soccermadeinstlouis.com/...chise_tackles_team-building_101_(part_2).html

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connecting all the dots, a well-supported indoor team might be a step to a USL Pro outdoor team on the long path to an eventual MLS franchise in St. Louis.

Yeah, he's an insider. (Also, we went from "the key" to "part of the key" pretty quickly.)

Not about how soccer actually works, mind you. "Connecting all the dots" is a stretch. He's making shit up.

Whether the Ambush v2.0 draws big crowds or not will have very little bearing on whether or not someone is willing to put up the money for an outdoor team in St. Louis. The fact Some Random Guy With A Blog says it doesn't make it so.

If someone sees potential upside in an outdoor pro franchise in St. Louis, they'll do it. To this point, only one person has seen that value in the last...oh, I don't know, what has it been, 35 years? And in that time, there have been successful (the Steamers, early Ambush) and less-than-successful (later Ambush, WISL Steamers) indoor teams, with zero impact on whether or not someone has ponied up for an outdoor team.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

USvsIRELAND repped this.