SSFC trade Mike Fucito AND Lamar Neagel for Eddie "Grown Ass Man" Johnson

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by OleGunnar20, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No..... I didn't watch him at Aris. I realize that means I missed the only six months out of the last four and a half years when he wasn't utterly useless. However, the fact that he managed to score 5 goals in 16 games in the greek superleague doesn't impress me all that much when it's bookended by years, literally years, of nothing.

And I'll tell you, the whole "english soccer didn't suit him" line is a total canard. I saw him in England and it wasn't that the style didn't suit him, it was that he didn't have the technical ability or soccer IQ to contribute.

2. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets remember Ochoa is still pretty young. I said earlier I think part of this deal is to motivate Ochoa even more. To have another target guy to push him and his development.

I am not surprised we made a deal with Sigi's comments about Seivback(Sp?) recently that he needs to be on the pitch plus the postive comments about Estrada most of camp.

I don't think this deal hurts us and I hope Mike and Lamar become the next Le Toux's

3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    One question: Did Montreal get your wallet and watch when they robbed you?

:D

4. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why would they steal our wallet its not worth much after the exchange rate ;)

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    :D Good one 'eh!

6. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just going to jump in and say "yay.'
    Just a couple weeks ago I posted a comment that this team was a forward short of winning (to which yosh replied we have short forwards!)

This move is exactly, and I mean exactly, what this team needed.
    I liked Neagle, but he is no Rosales, Fernandez or Zakuani (haven't seen the new guys yet).
    And Fucito is overrated by a ton. I can't figure out why. Hero to short people everywhere or something?

As for claims that EJ is "lazy" let me just say that many Sounders fans have leveled that charge again and again against Fredy Montero despite the fact that he is one of the top five forwards in MLS.
    EJ scored 15 goals in his last MLS season. Someone tell me which other Sounder was going to match that.
    Plus EJ is experienced at hold-up play and distributing to wings off a long ball. His touch is actually quite good - better than standard MLS passing fare that's for sure.

Welcome EJ.

7. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that is a perfectly fair and accurate response to what I've been saying here. I did comment on us having a bunch of of short guys and not enough target forwards, so I,ought to probably shut up. I really do expect big things from Neagle,and I do rhink Yoshou's response to the effect that he isn't really that great is just so much total bullshit.

Obviouly, that's just like, my opinion man (to misquote the Dude). I hope Eddie Johnson is as awesome this year as Sigi, Henderson, and Adrian all seem to be expecting, and he does seem to fill that missing spot. But God damn Montreal for the price he cost us. It'll be great to see Neagle and Fucito getting more time and doing well, and tough to see them doing it for another side.

8. Seaball

Seaball Member+

Oct 12, 2008
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Bold move to win now, not sure how else to put it. Hopefully, both sides win out on this one.

9. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really a bold move? we've traded two squad players for a guy on a one year, $100k contract whose career hit the skids 5 years ago. This is hardly going all in, it's a fishing expedition at best.

10. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Seattle already has overwhelming technical ability and soccer IQ. We just need one guy to tap the ball into the net from 20 feet away.

Like I said, Seattle led the league in scoring last year with virtually zero production from the forwards. The cards are stacked for EJ to succeed. It's odd that people don't realize that... and they are ignorant with such extreme vengeance.

Ochoa could also be the guy, he's shown nothing but promise. There will be enough games for the 2 of them.

11. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neagle is going to turn 25 and Fucito is about to turn 26. Eddie Johnson is about to be 28. All spring birthdays.

My idea of a youngster in Soccer is someone in their teens.

I don't get this whole "We gave up to young guys for a washed up dude."

The difference between Johnson and Fucito is 2 years and only 3 years between him and Neagle. Of the 3 Johnson has the better resume by far.

12. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, if tapping the ball into the net from 20 feet away is something Johnson was good at you'd think he'd have managed to do it more than 7 times in 62 games over the last four years.

Mike Fucito had more goals in all competitions in 2010-2011 than Eddie had in 2008-2011. Lamar Neagle had as many goals last year for the Sounders as Eddie's had in the last four years put together. And it's not like Eddies goals were coming in the premiership; Greece and the English second tier are not appreciably harder places than MLS or the CONCACAF champions league in my mind.

You may be surprised that some of us don't see EJ as an inevitable success, I'm surprised that others don't see the giant warning flags festooning the one time phenom.

13. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    You might be surprised to learn that there are people who think both fucito and Neagle have hit their high-water mark.

Players have traditionally sucked, then moved to the Sounders as reclamation projects and played well... Ljungberg, Sturgis, Parke, Rosales... Fucito and Neagle were both reclamation projects.. And OBW, who was very talented in his short time here, but that is a sad story.

The fact is-- being surrounded by players like Alonso, Montero, Flaco, Rosales, under coach Sigi, with 40,000 fans just makes (most) players better. And ultimately this was Chris Henderson's decision, who has been a talented player and scout, so I'm willing to wait and see before judging.

14. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I am not surprised some folks think that, I actually think there's a good chance they're right. Please, feel free to tell me what else I might think, I'm sure you'll get it right on the second go.

15. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    LMAO! I was just making fun of you for this comment:

Oh my god! Listen to yourself! Hahahaha... you're utterly worthless.

Anyway, the main point is there are question marks on both sides... Except the Sounders didn't use the top allocation pick, and ended up with the guy they wanted last August for 1/3 the price.

The vitriol against EJ is just bizarre.

16. foreleft

foreleft New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? playing against backup MLS defenders in the USOC and some 2nd place team from Panama or Guatemala, and a Mexican team who left half of their first string at home is the same as the 2nd division in England or the Greek Super League?

When was the last time anyone even fathomed Fucito getting a national team call up? EJ was making regular substitute appearances just over a year ago for a mid table EPL team. When was the last time an EPL team was rumored to be looking at Neagle?

This is EXACTLY the signing people have been screaming for since 2009 when we were watching Jaqua trip over himself and knock balls over the crossbar from 5 yards out. Now their pissed because we gave up a couple of players they have an emotional attachment to?

17. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's kinda what emotional attachments are all about though isn't it?

18. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, you're quoting Johnny and then talking about people with emotional attachments. I think his point this whole thread has been about hating Eddie Johnson, not any particular love for the guys we lost. I'm much more about the emotional attachments. I have no beef with EJ. Two totally different types of whining going on here.

19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    So whats the over under for goals scored in league play with EJ?

8?

20. Ballard

Ballard Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Ballard
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever the number, I'm thinking it'll be at least a couple less than Montero if Freddy gets his way. So I'm hoping for at least 12 (yes a fairly random number).

21. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, a forward.

But THIS forward?

Lots to prove and there is every reason to be skeptical. Johnson carries a tag of being emotionally 'fragile,' He'll need to shake that ASAP.

Two queens up front won't likely make the Sounders Kings of MLS.

22. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the gloves come off :rolleyes:

Anyhow, didn't Sigi ask us not to throw the "R" word around like a bunch of middle school kids?

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ>>Fucito. The Lollipop Guild up front wasn't effective. Fucito was good at harassing defenses and freeing up Montero, but he couldn't score against MLS defenses.

24. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    GOALSeattle, would you rather have Seattle get a better forward than EJ with a much, much higher salary cap at the cost of even more depth?

25. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey there is reason to question the deal however the vitriol being directed at EJ is a bit over the top at this time. Neagle has the POTENTIAL to be a star he is not there yet but is a valuable bench guy as is Fucito who I think will get better but not much more. Myself I think the club took a risk that needed taking. We have a ton of mid's in camp and someone was going to have to go. We need more size upfront and someone to push Ochoa. Yes it sucks to lose guys that are part of the fold but it has to happen sometimes.