Squad for Croatia friendly (post-game comments) -R

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by shaf-argentina, Feb 14, 2006.

1. shaf-argentina

shaf-argentina New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ
    Pekky has called up 18 foreign based players for the friendly on March 1.

Leonardo Franco y Maximiliano Rodríguez (Atlético madrid), Juan Sorín y Juan Riquelme (Villarreal), Pablo Aimar (Valencia), Leonardo Ponzio, Gabriel y Diego Milito (Zaragoza), Fabricio Coloccini (La Coruña), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Walter Samuel, Esteban Cambiasso y Nicolás Burdisso (Inter), Luis González (Porto), Hernán Crespo (Chelsea), Lionel Scaloni (West Ham), Martín Demichelis (Bayern Munich) y Carlos Tevez (Corinthians).

Looks reasonable enough to me, notable absentee is Javier "Pupi" Zanetti and Gonzalo Rodriguez. I am expecting to see 4 more players added from the home base, simply because I dont see him taking 3 keepers for this friendly.

My guesses are Pato, Bilos, Battaglia and Aguero maybe?

2. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Re: Squad for Croatia friendly

Samuel frightens me...hopefully there is not enough room for him in Germany.

3. maxpepper

maxpepper Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I really like zanetti...he always plays good. And I'd rather see gonzalo play than coloccini...

4. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    [BigSoccer News] Convocaron a los dos Milito y no a Zanetti

También a Coloccini, Scaloni y Burdissso, y excluyeron a Javier Saviola, Diego Placente y Julio Cruz. Se completaría con Abbondanzieri y Ustari.

Link To Original Article

5. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'd rather see Coco the Clown than Coloccini. Gonzalo should be in the squad.

Also Aguero should be given a game, this would be a good opportunity in a friendly.

6. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Good selection imo...

You seem to be quite harsh with Coloccini. He has been great up to Confed Cup. Agreed he is now on a down slope, but if he's back in shape, he can be great.

7. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

You're right bsas, Coloccini's form does tend to go up and down, personally I think he should get his haircut as that might make him play better. :D

Seriously though Gonzalo is an excellent defender and still very young and this would have been a good opportunity to bring him into the squad in a low key, no pressure game. I would love to see Aguero given a game.

8. shaf-argentina

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ

Doubt it will be a low pressure game, provided its the only one before the cup.
    My question to ask in that squad is Burdisso. He is a great young prospect, a good central defender, but if Pekky wants to play him at central defence, maybe he shouldnt, because he has been playing his club football lately as a left back. As much as I like Burdisso, i dont think he is good enough to be a fullback, because the attacking element of his game isnt sumthing to be very proud of.

If he was to play in central defence, wouldnt Gonzalo be a very good choice anyways?

I also hope Pupi gets Scaloni's role inthe cup itself, trying to be as less critical as I can about the manager here. :D

9. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Shaf,

I believe another 2 games are planned before the world cup.

Zanneti is pure class, presumably he is not in this squad because he has nothing to prove to anyone.

Would like to see Aguero in the squad, sorry to labour the point. :D

10. ROMERO879

ROMERO879 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

Is Bilos Croatian?

11. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He could have played for Croatia but choose to go with Argentina. :p

12. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I hope Pekerman doesn't try a complete new team. He should consolidate with the 80% of his final team, and only try out some people for the remaining 20%.

13. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I agree but I think Aguero, Gago, Palacios, Gonzalo. etc.. are for the next World Cup and not this one.

14. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Re: Squad for Croatia friendly (pre-game comments)

In my humble opinion there can be no harm at all in giving Aguero a run out in the national team in a friendly. Sometimes a player comes out of nowhere to make the squad and then goes on to have a big impact at a major tournament, perhaps that could be Aguero.

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm all over Aguero getting a shot. My question is does he really fill a need on this team? I'd prefer to see Gago since backing up Mascherano is an important thing. Gonzalo as well. He's arguably or best defender at the moment. He's also shown up big time in the Champions League. Aguero will be great and he'll get his shot. I wouldn't give his minutes to Messi or Tevez right now though.

16. shaf-argentina

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ

Looking at the report by igsoccerbot, looks like Aguero will not be called up at all.

17. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Shame really, would have been nice to have seen him play for Argentina, although I gather he is injured at the moment anyway.

18. shaf-argentina

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ

Yep looks like only Pato and Ustari will be added to the current 18, dont see the point of taking 3 keepers though, hes probably not goin to even substitue the keeper.

19. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

It is a real shame that things have not quite worked out for Santiago Solari at Inter because he is (IMHO) a superb player and would have been a great addition to the world cup squad.

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Aguero is hurt. It is not a serious injury but he is not expected to play for a match or two. I don't know if that had anything to do with his exclusion.

Of the players excluded, not counting the injuries, I think Zanetti (obviously) and Gonzalo Rodriguez are the ones that I think should be included in the final squad. Rodriguez may be young, but he is ready, and his pace and speed may be needed in our central defense.

21. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

While watching Tyc (estudio futbol) a commentator (gaston recondo) said that while no one on this list gets injured, Zanetti will not go to the World Cup, what do u guys think.

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I want what he's smoking. Pupi is the veteran leader of that team. He's still class on the pitch and always consistent. At least IMO.

23. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I say if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Zanetti is a monster on the whole right side. Difficult to think of a better and more confident player there.

24. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe

zanetti will be there in world cup, i have no doubts in that but onething i am not happy with is that why veron is not included in pekerman's plan? he is a great player and we cannot always depend on riquelme , what will happen if he is hurt or that in certain match he won't work at all?
    so i think we need a back up in that offensive midfield position and noone beats veron in that .
    so i hope pekerman will call veron to national team again.

25. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Veron has no chance of making the world cup squad, for whatever reason pekerman has a problem with Veron and simply refuses to pick him. Aimar will act as back up to Riquelme in Germany.